Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe Bomb Outside Fire Station

• 11-11-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just heard there was a pipe bomb found in a car outside the fire station in the city this afternoon.

<SNIP> the garda got a report that they may be a pipe bomb on board and stoped the car straigth away.
    <SNIP>

Thats all i have for now!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I was wondering what all the commotion was about as I passed by. Even the FÁS office had a sign up saying they were closed due to the Gardai as I walked by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Heard this from a friend of mine who is working fairly close by at the minute. This is insane. This is the kind of fear and danger people face from terrorists.
    <SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

deiseff wrote: »
    Just heard there was a pipe bomb found in a car outside the fire station in the city this afternoon.
    And you have proof of this? The gardai have arrested and charged these people - right?

What a terrible nasty slanderous statement to make without being able to back it up.

Im locking this for now and will ask Sully to have a look as I dont have first hand knowledge of ongoing events. I'll also be guided by Sully in relation to these comments.

Until such time as there is an official announcement from the Gardai or it is carried in the media then there will be no speculation as to who was responsible for the pipe bomb.

Im reopening this thread again but would people please think before they post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pffffffft! :rolleyes:

Mike

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Pffffffft! :rolleyes:

Mike
    And your point is?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidojqlojsn/
    11/11/2008 - 18:05:33
    Five men are being held by gardaí tonight after the discovery of an explosive device in a car in Waterford city.

A Defence Forces spokesman said the viable improvised explosive device was dismantled and made safe at the scene.

“The remains of the device have been handed over to gardaí for investigation,” he added.

“The area was declared safe at 5pm.”

The five – all aged in their mid 20s – were arrested by gardaí after their car was stopped in the city at around 2.15pm.

Concerned officers called the Army bomb disposal team and evacuated off the Catherine Street and Bolton Street area.

It is understood Waterford District Court, which is on Catherine Street, was also adjourned for the afternoon.

A garda spokesman said the five are being questioned in Waterford city and Tramore garda stations under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

They can be held for 72 hours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you have issues with the moderating of the forum the only way your going to get the issue addressed is by sending one of the mods a PM or going to Feedback/Help Desk. I, and all the other mods in this forum, really appreciated the Feedback you give.

However, and you of all people mike should know this, winging and bitching about it in this forum itself wont get you anywhere. Those who have contacted us in the past have been satisfied with the response.

My inbox awaits your PMs. :)

Topic Cleaned

(Note: Reply with any more ****e in this thread and you will be banned. Enough is enough.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

in fairness not the best place to put the device, since the power of those hoses could knock/destory anything in its way

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

according to the story it wasn't "left" anywhere and instead the Gardai stopped the car, not on either way and the book should be thrown at them with great force no matter who they are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sooner the law gets tougher and deals with this type of criminal behaviour the proper way the better. I dont think criminials feel threatended by the Guards or the system much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

they probably wont do time for this anyway, there are lots of people in this country doing very serious crimes and they are going unpunished because there is not enough room in our prisons to house them so the judges have no other alternative but to give them suspended sentences.
    kinda scary having these dirtbags on the streets .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What in the holy bejaysus is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I passed by it yesterday, heathen got a call about it and myself and heathen went for a drive by to see whats going on, the whole street was evacuated and all the fire engines where parked parked around the corner in a car park, there was a silver ford focus estate parked outside the fire station.
    there is no offical announcement of the men arrested backgrounds, all that is being released so far is that 5 men have been detained under section 30.

from RTE. QUOTE
    A Defence Forces explosive ordnance disposal team arrived on the scene at 4pm and foundd it to be a viable improvised explosive device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

One of the lads works in the OPW accross the road from the fire station!! Saw it all, 5 <snip - no speculation please> were arrested!!

town is gone to the dogs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

as said before the situation has now gone beyond a joke. Like Theres a Primary School around the corner from there,

Sully put it the best way the current system does not give them Cause to be afraid of the Law. I honestly hope they Do go to town on them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Ok what's with the sudden emergence of pipe bombs in Waterford? Did things just go completely over the top out of nowhere?

They should have the book thrown at them because the potential damage those things could do is bad enough. Never mind th fact that they're probably dumb enough to kill themselves with them. Pipe bombs??? lord above!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

ziedth wrote: »
    as said before the situation has now gone beyond a joke. Like Theres a Primary School around the corner from there,

There's a montessori on Catherine Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

What happened my post at 11:11 am on this issue? I was only using the example of the current and escalating traveller’s feud in limerick and my suggestion that local gardai should take some pointers from the Limerick situation on how an initially small situation has spiralled out of control there and by nipping it in the bud now would prevent such a situation escalating into the wider community.

Mods – It would have been nice if you could have used common courtesy to let me know via pm or comment on my post to your reasoning for removing my post
    Rgds
    Jambo

Jambo wrote: »
    What happened my post at 11:11 am on this issue? I was only using the example of the current and escalating traveller’s feud in limerick and my suggestion that local gardai should take some pointers from the Limerick situation on how an initially small situation has spiralled out of control there and by nipping it in the bud now would prevent such a situation escalating into the wider community.

Mods – It would have been nice if you could have used common courtesy to let me know via pm or comment on my post to your reasoning for removing my post
    Rgds
    Jambo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57868627&postcount=9
    &
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57867808&postcount=5

Not including notices in other peoples posts either.

Anyway, back on topic..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Any update on who's responsible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Sully I was in no way speculating and was meerly talking about two family feuds ! .
    In ref to the link you provided regarding mufflers post "No speculation Until it is carried in the media " It was in this weeks early edition of the Munster Express .

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/traveller-feud-bomb-scares-force-chaotic-street-closures/

I think the Munster's naming of the URL provided says it all .

Jambo wrote: »
    Sully I was in no way speculating and was meerly talking about two family feuds ! .
    In ref to the link you provided regarding mufflers post "No speculation Until it is carried in the media " It was in this weeks early edition of the Munster Express .

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/traveller-feud-bomb-scares-force-chaotic-street-closures/

I think the Munster's naming of the URL provided says it all .

Im not going to have a discussion in thread about it (hence the linking of the post stating that). Can you PM muffler, he was the mod who removed your post. I have no idea behind this reason for its removal so best contact him with the above links.

I can understand the speculation but the Guards have already stated they are not linking the two at the moment so we kind of wanted to keep this thread that way to avoid any issues later. Afterall, Boards is responsible for what you folks say. If another source, and the Munster would be reliable, says different then let muffler know and he can make the call on it.

Anyway, back on topic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

Didnt you know your not allowed say ********* on here.

But there is some sort of group, i dont know who there are carrying bombs around our streets. Burning people out of there homes (in one case the wrong home) and playing demolition derby in the middle of the town.
    You just have to wait and keep quite. Dont want to disturbe or insult this group who ever they are.

Just sit back and constanly look over your shoulder making sure there is no pipe bombs, petrol bombs, speeding cars comimg to ram you. Or if some lad is walking down the street or in your back garden with a machete just ignore it. It'll be grand, there allowed to. Maybe you could make them a cup of tea and maybe a few choc biscuits for there efforts.

Any body know who is doing all this by the way?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

deiseff wrote: »
    Didnt you know your not allowed say ********* on here.

But there is some sort of group, i dont know who there are carrying bombs around our streets. Burning people out of there homes (in one case the wrong home) and playing demolition derby in the middle of the town.
    You just have to wait and keep quite. Dont want to disturbe or insult this group who ever they are.

Just sit back and constanly look over your shoulder making sure there is no pipe bombs, petrol bombs, speeding cars comimg to ram you. Or if some lad is walking down the street or in your back garden with a machete just ignore it. It'll be grand, there allowed to. Maybe you could make them a cup of tea and maybe a few choc biscuits for there efforts.

Any body know who is doing all this by the way?????

yea someone mentioned JACOBS c.c ........ you know what i mean cant say it directly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

Wern't they a horse one day in the grand national called PIEBALLS ??

I have seen enough off topic posting, muppetry, and racist comments in this thread to come to the only conclusion. Lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement