Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richie Hawtin

• 11-11-2008 4:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm really excited about going to see Richie Hawtin and Gaiser in Tripod on Friday. Really hoping its going to be one to remember.

I've been getting into techno a lot lately and one of the first albums recommended to me was Hawtin's "Decks, EFX & 909" (link link) and what a cracking mix it was, so ahead of its time. Nearly 10 years old but still sounds fresh. Some seriosuly impressive stuff done technically considering the primitive tools he was using. I really like the raw-ness of the mising and looping though, you can really 'hear' what he is doing.

"Closer to the Edit" (link link) and "Transitions" (link link) came after that. I have not not really listened to them anywhere near as much as I have the first, quite different mixes but equally impresssive.

Here is a video interview I found really interesting, its quite staggering the complexity of his latest mixes

Part One:

Part Two:

Seems like a very interesting and intelligent guy and I have great respect for how he constantly pushes the music and the technology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

i actually thin deck & fx does sound pretty dated, not many people play that sort of techno anymore, greta mix though, 'closer to the edit' is the best of the 3 mixes, proper minimal techno, transitions really has to be listened in 5.1 to get the full effect of the mix otherwise its sounds fairly boring given the style of music it is and the fact that it was mixed with 5.1 in mind, tracks on it aren't that great either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Search for Richie Hawtin on Dailymotion.com - he explains his new set up -beast is the only word!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Agreed Transitions is my least favourite - must give it a proper listen on 5.1 though.

This is the video Flynn is referring to: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6n4cy_richie-hawtin-traktor-setup_music savage alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

DE9 is still as cool as it was all those years ago (sniff!)

I love transitions, the 5.1 mix is the best way to listen to it!

He also included the longer Mp3 version in the DVD/CD version, goes on for about 90 minutes, definitely better imo.....

My mate "borrowed" it off me ages ago and I never got it back!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Cant wait for this. Listening to his new mix he did for DJ Mag at the moment its pretty decent. I cant post a link to it with a mods permision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 -jethro-

should be a cracking gig alright zascar! cheers for that link earlier. to be honest, im heading to see gaiser, im a huge fan and hes one of the reasons im so into my minimal music!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Betty Ford

Long time listener first time caller.

That you colly?!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Cant wait for this. Listening to his new mix he did for DJ Mag at the moment its pretty decent. I cant post a link to it with a mods permision.
    Yeah throw it up! Anything given away free is cool to link to here, so go nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I'm more excited about seeing the legendary 808 STATE on the same nite also in POD/Tripod, ill be getting an access all areas ticket for €30, in this event it is money well spent asides from the legendary 808 State you have the legendary Tom Middleton playing an 88-93 classics set ive not seen him in years,also Rob Da Bank who is excellent and who ive also not seen or heard of in years, and of course Mister Hawtin who ive also not seen in years (im expecting a slamming Techno set) see you there folks, we should arrange a meetup beforehand for drinks,etc:)

Hawtins finest moment, Tribal Techno at it's best:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsct-e-HVE0

Couldn't possibly say what 808 State's finest moment is they have released so much quality tunage, one of these 2 no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB7NW3uRtoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0p3nHv3jg

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    and of course Mister Hawtin who ive also not seen in years (im expecting a slamming Techno set) see you there folks,

you'll be disappointed if your expecting a slamming techno set, he hasnt played a set like that in about 5 or 6 years, plays very much toned down house and techno nowadays

he did fairly thump it out when i seen him in the end last year but i think that was a once off and even at that it still wasn't a full on techno set

Here ya go: Hawtin

brianc27 wrote: »
    you'll be disappointed if your expecting a slamming techno set, he hasnt played a set like that in about 5 or 6 years, plays very much toned down house and techno nowadays

he did fairly thump it out when i seen him in the end last year but i think that was a once off and even at that it still wasn't a full on techno set

id say he will play a Techno set bthough for the Dublin crowd especially in Tripod.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

MikeHoncho wrote: »

Its quite good alright, and there seems to be some really cool, weird tunes on it! The last tune esp.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PsHPIhalg&feature=related

sounds failry tame alright, not looking forward to this at all :D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah a quick search on youtube from clips added recently from Richie's gigs sound pretty dam cool

This one especially gets me very very excited

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke (Arfo Acid Mix)

i wouldnt be looking forward to seeing a dj of his calibre playing fcuking yeke yeke infairness, is that clip from timewarp just gone, i was there and he played yeke yeke and fcuking micheal jackson -- billy jean, completely uncalled for

oldboy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PsHPIhalg&feature=related

sounds failry tame alright, not looking forward to this at all :D:D:D:D:D:D

it is tame if you compare it to stuff he played in say 2001 and before

i wouldnt be looking forward to seeing a dj of his calibre playing fcuking yeke yeke infairness
    Each to their own I suppose I love a bit of nostalgia thrown into a set now and again

i just think if your goin to see someone who is supposedly on top of their game like that then you should not be hearing tracks that are not as obvious as yeke yeke etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i think hawtin as a producer is over-rated tbh.

*waits for onslaught*

should be a good gig though

i just think if your goin to see someone who is supposedly on top of their game like that then you should not be hearing tracks that are not as obvious as yeke yeke etc

I fail to see why not, most DJ's almost always drop some classic tune into their sets at some stage, mix and blend:)

Exactly. Its often these retrospective tunes are the ones that people love the most, and sends the place going crazy. Almost all the big dj's do it now and again, if not nearly always. Not everyone in the club is going to be up on all the latest techno tunes and its nice to hear a song you know once in a while....

stinks of desperation if you ask me, i mean sure id expect to hear the odd really old track thats actually good, but not a massive track from back in the day that in fairness was never really that good, he might as well of played 'blue monday'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

jtsuited wrote: »
    i think hawtin as a producer is over-rated tbh.

*waits for onslaught*

should be a good gig though

His later stuff crtaintly isn's as groundbreaking as some of his other material-though to be fair Plastikan tracks had savage production, and his early stuff as Cybersonik was pretty ahead of its time-Ive seen him a few times over the years and he generally rocks the place, but I suppose he's a true techno superstar. that being said at ILT a few years back, he did a very minimal set with too much trickery which kinda lost the crowd, I'm not sure if t'hat style works in big hangers, as it is more suited to smaller venues-I have no objection to him playing Yeke Yeke, that would work in a large venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

francois wrote: »
    His later stuff crtaintly isn's as groundbreaking as some of his other material-though to be fair Plastikan tracks had savage production, and his early stuff as Cybersonik was pretty ahead of its time-Ive seen him a few times over the years and he generally rocks the place, but I suppose he's a true techno superstar. that being said at ILT a few years back, he did a very minimal set with too much trickery which kinda lost the crowd, I'm not sure if t'hat style works in big hangers, as it is more suited to smaller venues-I have no objection to him playing Yeke Yeke, that would work in a large venue

That time he lost the crowd a bit at ILT Francois, I think I was there, Didnt the sound from the left speaker stack go a bit wonky half way through which caused a lot of people to leave. He was in the blue room, or are you referring to a diff year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

KevIRL wrote: »
    That time he lost the crowd a bit at ILT Francois, I think I was there, Didnt the sound from the left speaker stack go a bit wonky half way through which caused a lot of people to leave. He was in the blue room, or are you referring to a diff year?

Yeah it was that year, I remember a lot of disapponted people, especially a load of us Irish who'd gone specifically to see him

was that ILT 2005, thought that was a pretty good set, he does way way way more trickery these days though now that he uses traktor, which can make his sets sound pretty gimmicky (ie timewarp 2008).

hes very up and down as a dj imo, the best set ive ever heard in 10 years of goin to gigs was hawtin at the end in 2007, 6 months later i went to another hawtin gig and was completely underwhelmed.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Have several albums he has done as Plastikman and love them all, most recently bought 'Consumed' and its a great 'listening' album. As for 'Musik' & 'Sheet One', amazing albums.

Not up to speed really with his more recent DJ work but I did love 'Closer to the Edit' which would be the most recent I have.

As for Yeke Yeke, some love it and some hate it... I always found it went down well - why not play it? A good DJ gets the crowd going, shouldn't be a set formula or restrictions around what tunes they play - just for the few anoraks in the crowd!!! Music for the masses... :pac:

• Advertisement

I have no problems with a bit of nostalgia. Was at Green and Blue in Frankfurt a few months ago and Loco Dice dropped Missing by Everything But the Girl and the place went nuts. Then late in the evening during a pretty hard Techno set Sven Vath dropped Cafe Del Mar to massive effect. It can really work if the DJ knows what he is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah a quick search on youtube from clips added recently from Richie's gigs sound pretty dam cool

This one especially gets me very very excited

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke (Arfo Acid Mix)

methinks he's off his head ever so slightly here, as well as the lad beside him, way too much love :D

So what did everyone think of the gig? I've never seen the place so packed so I actually spent the first half in teh back bar just chilling there. When I did go in to Hatwin and found a place with some space we stayed there all night it was awesome, really great night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

So what did everyone think of the gig? I've never seen the place so packed so I actually spent the first half in teh back bar just chilling there. When I did go in to Hatwin and found a place with some space we stayed there all night it was awesome, really great night.

what sort of stuff did he play?

Both himself and Gaiser played big thumping techno all night long. Was quite surprised to hear what Gaiser was playing when I walked it it was way more banging than I was expecting... I was floating round between rooms for the first half but the second half I stayed in the main room for Hawtin and it was savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Both himself and Gaiser played big thumping techno all night long. Was quite surprised to hear what Gaiser was playing when I walked it it was way more banging than I was expecting... I was floating round between rooms for the first half but the second half I stayed in the main room for Hawtin and it was savage.

Not how I heard it. Gaiser played very minimal - got going when Richie showed up. Richie was ok, have heard him play harder, it was an ok night. The sound system in Tripod is very good - it can cover up a lot of stuff and make average tunes sound a lot better than they are.

Digweed recently was a much better night imo, he worked the crowd a lot better.

• Advertisement

Well I only saw Gaiser a little bit but I was very surprised how thumping it was. And I say the last hour of Hawtin and it was Cracking. But yes i defintely agree the sound system is savage and it can make everything sound a lot better, but hatwin could be doiung his 4 deck stuff with minimal and make it sound a lot chunkier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Have to say I was not smiling at the tripod on Fri night.

I have been going there for a very long time and that was the first time I had ever heard them say tickets only. Like tbh I always have tickets. Once or twice I hadn´t and that was it but bejeepers that was uncalled for :(

I don´t know whether they were letting people without tickets in afterwards or what but sure we went elsewhere. I was looking forward to it a bit but I have to say on a private note it wasn´t all bad not ending up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Jay D wrote: »
    Have to say I was not smiling at the tripod on Fri night.

I have been going there for a very long time and that was the first time I had ever heard them say tickets only. Like tbh I always have tickets. Once or twice I hadn´t and that was it but bejeepers that was uncalled for :(

I don´t know whether they were letting people without tickets in afterwards or what but sure we went elsewhere. I was looking forward to it a bit but I have to say on a private note it wasn´t all bad not ending up there.

It was sold out, thats why

It was sold out, thats why

I don't know whether it was your first time there or not but there have been plenty of gigs in the Tripod & Red Box that were sold out and THEY still let people pay in at the door.

I don't know whether it was your first time there or not but there have been plenty of gigs in the Tripod & Red Box that were sold out and THEY still let people pay in at the door.

Been there plenty of times and on the nights where they have sold out all tickets, and the guestlist is full they wont allow any more to pay at the door. If there is no more room, then there's no more room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Been there plenty of times and on the nights where they have sold out all tickets, and the guestlist is full they wont allow any more to pay at the door. If there is no more room, then there's no more room.
    as it should be

It was FAR too packed as it was. Just plain dangerous if anything happened. Tripod is badly designed anyway. The only tiolets are in a corridor which gets jammed full of people, took me 10 mins to get from one way to the other. I missed the first half of the night cause the main room was just too packed to deal with it.

Cop on Tripod and stop jamming every last posible person in

that's not the case man. what about Cox, Van Dyk, Sasha, to name a few....

Plenty and I mean plenty of times I have been there and they never asked for tickets anytime.

that's not the case man. what about Cox, Van Dyk, Sasha, to name a few....

Plenty and I mean plenty of times I have been there and they never asked for tickets anytime.

If the venue is full, its full, they wont let anymore in. Thats why they sell tickets, so you know you'll be able to get in without worrying that it'll be sold out. ive been to 3 sold out show in the last while there, and on none of the nights were they allowing anyone without a ticket in. Touts were even selling them.

If the venue is full, its full, they wont let anymore in. Thats why they sell tickets, so you know you'll be able to get in without worrying that it'll be sold out. ive been to 3 sold out show in the last while there, and on none of the nights were they allowing anyone without a ticket in. Touts were even selling them.

It must be of late, that place has been far too packed on some occasions and like I have said they always let people in without tickets as far as I knew as I witnessed it countless amount of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Cool interview with Hawtin from the Tripod just gone...
    Great night, atmosphere was unreal!
    http://www.yournight.ie/play.php?vid=909

Advertisement