Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers

Options
  • 11-11-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Back home, my original home, I can get 6 big chicken fillets for €6.99.

Anyone recommend any good value Butchers in Galway, with similar cheap chicken?

East side preferably.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I buy fillets of chicken every week and if you can get them at that price let me know. I'd only get about 4 for that here.
    McGraths Butcher in Mervue is good value and always has specials. Gallagher in Renmore is expensive. Nestors in Ballybane have good meat. I rate Divillys one of the best but they are expensive. If you are in around the City Centre call into Collerans on Mainguard St.; a great butcher but a bit awkward to get to.
    Let me know how you get on please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Personally, I'd avoid cheap chicken like the plague (because it could give you the plague:D). Instead, I'd be going for quality and certainty of its origin.

Chicken can be marketed as Irish chicken even if its reared outside Ireland. It just needs to be processed in Ireland to be "Irish". I've never quite understood why there is a presumption that Irish chicken is better other than it may be fresher having travelled less.

Divillys in Westside, Collerans in town centre and Tormeys in Galway Shopping Centre (nearest to you) are all good butchers. They are not the cheapest though.

I'm now trying to buy less crap snack food and put the money saved into better locally sourced produce. So far I'm failing miserably and eating the crap and the better locally sourced food, with obvious results on my waistline! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

It's cheap but it's not "cheap", if you know what I mean.

It's good quality stuff, but at a great price. I'll probably have to stock up on them every time I go home. I find meats pricey up here in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

€6 for a bag of about eight fillets from the freezer in Tescos. Hard enough to find them though, harder I guess now that I've posted on boards about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

The one on the Westside(beside Dunnes), cannot remember how the prices are but the meat is top quality and it's a really fresh and clean premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Lads ye've never been to a decent butchers if you think Divilly's (one at westside shopping centre) is a good. The place looks good, but the meat is average at best and is one of the dearest butchers I've been to. €6 will get you 3 "large" chicken fillets (not all that large) there.

I live litterly just up the road from westside shopping centre and i dont go there anymore.

The one on shop street (is it collerans? Its an orange shop front and its beside €2 shop) I find is much better. Its cheaper (well seems to be, still not cheap though) and the meat is of much higher quality. They are nice in friendly in there too.

Used to use Tormeys finnertys last year when i lived in town, was happy with. Its dear enough but the meat is decent, also quite handy if you're in town.

Ye might think im being harsh but i was spoilt over the summer

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

Finnertys are very reasonable and produce are good quality their located down stairs in the eyre sq centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Lads ye've never been to a decent butchers if you think Divilly's (one at westside shopping centre) is a good. The place looks good, but the meat is average at best and is one of the dearest butchers I've been to. €6 will get you 3 "large" chicken fillets (not all that large) there.

I live litterly just up the road from westside shopping centre and i dont go there anymore.

The one on shop street (is it collerans? Its an orange shop front and its beside €2 shop) I find is much better. Its cheaper (well seems to be, still not cheap though) and the meat is of much higher quality. They are nice in friendly in there too.

Used to use Tormeys last year when i lived in town, was happy with. Its dear enough but the meat is decent, also quite handy if you're in town.

Ye might think im being harsh but i was spoilt over the summer

i think divillys do 8 fillets for a tenner if I remeber correctly in the chiller out in the front of the shop. People in Divillys and Collerans have always been great when you have something to ask or require.

Now what I need to find is somwhere to get aged beef!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your looking for cheap meat go to Tescos or lidl. I avoid cheap chicken these days, I live near an intensive chicken farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Webbs wrote: »
    Stranos might look after your needs.

/rimshot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ill second this. Just started going there these past few days, and it must be said, they're top notch. Awful friendly, good price for the quality of meat. And ill certainly recommend their meatballs! Class!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Unrelated to chicken, but the best fillet steak i've gotten in town was from Tom Feerick (Or something like that) in Newcastle. Just down from G&L, right accross from the AIB bank. Looks like a right pokey oul place but omg the beef = yum. Don't shop anywhere else for beef anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Webbs wrote: »

How old do you want it? If you are going to a good butchers it will have been hung for 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

How old do you want it? If you are going to a good butchers it will have been hung for 21 days.

Let's just hope that comment isin't ever repeated in Lolocaust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Sorry should have said Dry aged beef so anything from 21 days plus would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Let's just hope that comment isin't ever repeated in Lolocaust....

Quiet lush....

Advertisement