Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Higher Level English Junior Cert

• 11-11-2008 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

I've just been asked to teach a student higher level English for JC next June. She has none of the course covered and I have not taught it before. I usually teach LCA and foundation only as our school is for kids who are usually not able for more than that.

I have a few questions which I cannot seem to find answers to on the net at the moment (or maybe Im just having one of my blonde days:)). Maybe someone here could help me.

1- Are there perscribed plays each year for JC or is that just for LC?
    2- I plan to study the Field with the student- is that ok?
    3- Poetry- do I just a range of the usual poems- Seamus Heaney etc?
    4- Is this mad? Trying to cover the course with a girl who left school at 14 with no JC, who has been sitting at home for 3 years and it being November and we havent started?

She has a beautiful writing style and no literacy problems at all.

Oh another negative is she will be in a classroom with 4 other weak students who are going to try for possibly a D/C at foundation level and we only have 3x 40 minute classes per week.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

No prescribed plays, Shakespeare is preferred but you'll get away with The Field.

Cover about 7/8 poems covering different themes and 2 by the same poet e.g. Heaney.

She'll need a novel, at this stage something short e.g. Of Mice and Men or maybe The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - short, easy, handy! (both have dvds for back-up or revision)

Don't stress too much on the studied stuff, it's easy to spend far too long on it. At the end of the day there are as many marks going for comprehending a piece on the day as there are for the studied element. If she has the ability, that's well over half your battle.

Do some of the poems with the other students, use dvds when you can and let them practise exam qs while you do the harder stuff with her.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks a million deemark- very helpful advice. I appreciate it. Our centre is small and we are very isolated so Im a bit lost sometimes. Thanks:)

Advertisement