Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Bushcraft, survival, hiking, camping course in December

Options
  • 11-11-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in learning some survival skills and have some time off next month so I thought I'd give it a go.

Is there anywhere in Ireland that does these courses? Say for 5 days camping and hiking and learning survival skills along the way.

All advice and info is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Have a look under bushcraft in the useful links sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

the bushcraft club should be organising another trip shortly. there will be more than enough people willing to share their skills. it will probably be over a weekend. possibly last weekend of the month.
    another good way to learn stuff is use the new fangled internet to look up tutorials. then you will have a little theoretical grounding and be able to try stuff out and experiment when you go out. this guy has some great tutorials
    http://www.youtube.com/user/undercurrentspaulo (the a-z bushcraft stuff is good) there are a billion other online resources for learning the theory behind what you want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'd prefer to be thought firsthand. It kind of defeats the point if I'm sitting in front of my PC in my gas heated sitting room trying to learn bushcraft skills.

I've been camping before with friends, but I've never actually really learnt anything as we always brought all we needed with us.

Also, Evil Phil, would that be a complete list? There doesn't seem to many options for learning survival skills.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    .......It kind of defeats the point if I'm sitting in front of my PC in my gas heated sitting room trying to learn bushcraft skills......
    what really defeats the point is trying to learn anything when you are cold wet and tired, especially in a solid week long block. but that is your perogative.
    ....but I've never actually really learnt anything as we always brought all we needed with us.
    that in itself is probably a good thing to learn. :cool:

not being smart, but i gave you advice based on experience. 90% of "survival" is in attitute. and the most important aspect of said attitude is recognising anything that gives you an edge in any sitution and capitolising on it. as i read it, your sitution was you wanted to learn bushcraft and survival. in a week in december no less. i would call learning theory before you go into the outdoors a smart move to give you that edge.
    ... There doesn't seem to many options for learning survival skills.
    read up on the second link in the bushcraft section. i think Aebhric would be a good bet to teach "survival" even if it is by a different title. a lot of people will avoid the term "survival" as it gives unwanted conotations.
    the list is not totally complete. but there is enough there to be going on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what really defeats the point is trying to learn anything when you are cold wet and tired, especially in a solid week long block. but that is your perogative.

when I said I've been camping before, I've been camping in Northern Canada, fairly close to the territories, with some friends who where hunting up there. I have no problem being cold, wet and tired in fact I prefer the cold and wet, probably because I work in an A/C conditioned Office 9 to 5. I've always rathered it to be bitingly cold to humidly warm.

I plan to move to Canada in the near future and take up camping and outdoor pursuits a lot more, but I'm looking to get into it now and get the basics down before that.

I know what you are saying about preparing myself before hand, but I'd rather jump in and learn the skills on my feet, I tend to remember things more that way when I need to know them rather than just wanting to.

I've had a look at that second link, unfortunately there is no Courses during the middle of December when I have some time off. I might go for the January course though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

I've had a look at that second link, unfortunately there is no Courses during the middle of December when I have some time off. I might go for the January course though.

If you contact Aebhric by email he might be able to sort you out with a course. According to his website he runs private courses on demand. He is also Canadian so he would probably know the territories you plan on visiting etc.

In the mean time look into joining the bushcraft club.

Note: I have no connection with IPNA other than having been down for some courses.

Andrew

+1 moderator trust for preacherman :)

Evil Phil wrote: »
    +1 moderator trust for preacherman :)

hey!!! :eek: lol ;)

Okay okay +1 trust for you too. And lolipops for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Okay okay +1 trust for you too. And lolipops for everyone!

mmmm..... lolipops...:D

Andrew

• Advertisement

yay!!! lolipops!!! :D and who said moaning doesn't get you anywhere. lol

Advertisement