Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hoybie Hancock

• 11-11-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to see HH in Tripod? Tickets v. expensive. The cheaper (?44euro?) tickets that are left are described as "stand". Is that a verb or a noun?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Desmo wrote: »
    Anyone going to see HH in Tripod? Tickets v. expensive. The cheaper (?44euro?) tickets that are left are described as "stand". Is that a verb or a noun?

Would love to see Herbie, but I would not pay 44 euro for the "privilege" of standing. That could only happen in "Rip Off" Ireland. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Nope, I won't be going to see him I don't think, as much as I'd like to hear him play Maiden Voyage (and Rock-it :p) Too expensive, and the Joni Letters was a bit hit and miss unfortunately. The main reason though is that it's in Tripod. A number of gigs there have left me quite disappointed in the past, not a big fan of the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

saw him play in the north sea festival this year and i have to say i was pretty damn disappointed. He was playing with a different (albeit great) group though; vinny colaiuta, dave holland (who i was feckin delighted to see), chris potter and Lionel Loueke (who did nothing all night). Was a very commercial gig and i fear that herbie has properly gone down that road. Heck he was having a battle with potter using a keyboard guitar (he lost) which was either tragic or hilarious depending on how you take these things. Seeing herbie strut around the stage playing (a poor) chameleon showed how much fame can ruin a good musician. Totally in contrast was Shorter the next day who showed how he's still trying to push boundaries.

All that being said, there's no denying his great talent and I hope that the concert is good but there's no way i'm paying that much to go to another gig in dublin, especially after the mild disappointment of McLaughlin/Corea in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Saw him in Cork last night - f**king awesome!! bit dodgy at the start but after about 40 mins it just kept getting better and better. Very interesting band and Herbie even played a Key-tar! The Cork jazz festival was a bit on the sh!t side this year but this gig more than made up for it.

Was a very commercial gig and i fear that herbie has properly gone down that road.

Nothing new there. That's not the first time he has "crossed over" to the commercial side during the course of his career. Remember the song "I Thought It Was You" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Has anyone got any strong feelings on rock-it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 muso

I was at the gig last night. The band were incredible however I have to agree with Daddio about the Tripod. Not a big fan of the venue and certainly took away from the gig, for me, last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Daddio wrote: »
    Has anyone got any strong feelings on rock-it? :D

Loved it when it came out; I was already a big HH fan (Headhunters, Thrust, Manchild etc.) and this was a very modern sound (Fairlight, digital keyboard etc.). I bought the album (Future Shock?, early 80s) and listened to it a fair bit. I would probably not be able to listen to it now. I am guessing it would sound very dated and wooden and corny.

Daddio wrote: »
    Has anyone got any strong feelings on rock-it?

Never liked it. Compared to "Fat Albert Rotunda" or "Head Hunters" it's a non starter to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

muso wrote: »
    I was at the gig last night. The band were incredible however I have to agree with Daddio about the Tripod. Not a big fan of the venue and certainly took away from the gig, for me, last night.
    Totally agree with this, Tripod is an absolute dive. Morons crowding the bar and yelling the whole time. Very happy with the performance though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

I was there last night with my wife and I agree Tripod is a bad venue or at least overcrowed. I've been to lots of gigs over the last 15 years and don't really mind usually. We got in early and were standing quiet near the front. Lots of people seemed to arrive after the show started as it wasn't packed at the start. After about an our though was had to move as it was so packed and hot my wife started to feel dizzy. Moved out to the back for air and were forced to stand in the entrance hallway. Heard lots of people coming out saying it was crazy inside. Outside the noise of the bar was very loud, I couldn't understand why there was ~50 people sitting in the bar when they had paid at least €40 to get in and hear a Jazz legend. We couldn't hear the quieter pieces from where we were and couldn't face heading back in so we left before the end. Sad really as I was really enjoying it for the first part.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

All that being said, there's no denying his great talent and I hope that the concert is good but there's no way i'm paying that much to go to another gig in dublin, especially after the mild disappointment of McLaughlin/Corea in cork.
    Sorry if this is slightly off topic but can I ask what it was that disappointed you about the McLaughlin/Corea gig?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Too much Mclauglin (really hate his use of tremolo bar) and not enough chick who seemed pretty reserved on the night and just let McLaughlin dominate, which was disappointing as i thought he was by far the least interesting musician on the night. Chick's electric keyboard didn't sound nice either and he didn't use the grand enough for me.

On the plus Garrett, McBride and Colaiuta were all great.

It was a good gig, just mildly disappointing considering how good i thought it could have been. The fact that my mates were singing its praises afterwards and i was a bit 'meh' may have compounded that mild disappointment. Oh and my friend who was coming down from Belfast to see the gig missed the train in Dublin and thus couldn't go didn't help either!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the reply shatner.
    After Vicar Street I was really hoping McLaughlin would redeem himself but far from it. Instead it was just more of the same, that silly million mile an hour phrase time after time and always followed by a token bit of tremelo which just became more and more annoying as the night went on. It struck me that McLaughlin is either all out of ideas or just has no interest in entertaining his audience anymore.
    I'd agree that Corea's synths sounded a bit iffy but when he played the grand he sounded superb.
    I thought McBride, Garret and Colaiuta were amazing and I'd gladly pay to see any one of them again but I don't think I'll ever bother wasting my time with McLaughlin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement