Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File server on the cheap any ideas?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i want to build something to act as a file server and a download client. Leaving my main pc on is not an option for downloading as it's running up the leccy bill (overclocked e8400 and a hd4870 plus water cooling. ( I realise i may spend more than i save in the short term but i'm hoping it will last me for years to come.

File server because i have 2 pc's in house mine, gfs in sitting room plus ps3 which i'll be using for streaming music and video.

Something low power and on the cheap if mossible doesn't have to be pretty i can hide it somewhere.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'll just buy a 1tb drive for now to stick in it should keep me goin for a while.

Also i'll want to access it remotely from main pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Well there are lots of possibilities.

You are posting this in the Building & Upgrading forum, so I presume you are not afraid of a bit DIY.

Some suggestions:

1) Buy a Thecus N2100 NAS and install Debian on it.
    This is not for the fainthearted but works like a charm. It is low power (around 30 watts), and can take 2 drives, giving you 3T storage. But you will have to know Linux. The Thecus can be bought from Ebay for under 200euro and is a nice small box.

2) Anything you can install FreeNAS on. this is not for the fainthearted either, you will need to know BSD but the possibilities just like the Thecus are endless.

3) Buy an ASUS EEE Box PC and use a USB external drive with spindown.
    On average this box uses only 30 watts, can be used as a desktop and it's virtually silent. 250 euro, runs windows XP

4) Same a 3) but use an old laptop as your computer. You will have a build in UPC (battery!) as well.

5) take an old or cheap case and buy a cheap mini-itx motherboard, you can buy them for 60 euro and less nowadays (Celeron). It does not have to be powerful at all, as it is a file server.

You don't need a LCD or keyboard for those computers, just remote desktop in or use VNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

3 words - NAS

Advertisement