Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Disconnects - DSL filters?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

this is probably a n00b question but here goes.
    my gf's parents have eircom broadband installed but every time the phone rings, the bb connection drops and vice versa.

I had a quick look and only the two port dsl filter is used in the room which has both the pc and a phone. there are however other phones in different rooms in the house which have no dsl filters attached.

Unfortunately the single port dsl filter that came with the bb package cannot be located so I can't check for sure.

So what i want to know is, is the lack of single port dsl filters on the other phones sockets causing the problem? If so where can I buy more of these filters cheaply.

If this is not the likely problem, then what is??

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah all phone out lets in the house need a DSL filter otherwise your connection will drop every time someone picks up a hand set.

I'm suprised you only got one filter though, I got 4 from Eircom. You can get DSL filters from the like of Power City, Peats, some Tescos, PC World all those typs of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Yeah all phone out lets in the house need a DSL filter otherwise your connection will drop every time someone picks up a hand set.

I'm suprised you only got one filter though, I got 4 from Eircom. You can get DSL filters from the like of Power City, Peats, some Tescos, PC World all those typs of places.

thanks for the speedy reply Captain Chaos. any idea roughly how much those filters cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webmanie

Hi TechnoFreek,

I Had the same problem,

Dont know if this will work for you, but i took off the dsl filters of 4 phones we have around the house , the only one i left on was the one where the bb is comming to the router and works fine now ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You need to have filters on all phones (unless you have all phones wired to a single, filered jack), otherwise you run the risk of a disconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im having a similar problem but I have a DSL filter.

Why does my connection keep dropping. Sometimes the phone does not even have to ring.

Wireless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks again for that. can i use two port filters like the one you have mentioned or is it essentail that they are single port ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

4-5 euro? You can do better than that.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEM160262
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Excelsus-DSL-Broadband-Filter-Z-330P2J_W0QQitemZ120329543768QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081106?IMSfp=TL081106128001r241 (discount for multiples)

The 2-port filter is for a DSL modem (unfiltered) and a phone line (filtered), it is not a splitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Ours use a BT line socket so I would not get for use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

My mistake.

Bloody hell but they are hard to find. You would think you should be able pick up a 10-pack easily enough, considering most ISPs give you a handful with their modems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 krust

If you ring eircom broadband support you can get them to send you more filters... although it may take a couple of days for them to get to you.

When I worked there I used to send out filters to customers all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hi Guys,
    I already have a splitter (got it from the ISP a few years ago with the BB). Yesterday I bought a new cordless phone, to replace the existing cordless phone.

If I plug the telephone line from the new cordless into the splitter is immediately disconnects the BB, and if I plug it out again the BB reconnects.

The old Cordless had no such problems, and both BB and TEL worked fine through the existing splitter.
    The old cordless was a crappy Binatone, the new one is a philips (the base has an answering machine if that makes a diff!)

Any ideas? Are there varying splitter/filters? (are filters and splitters the same thing?)

stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I assume you've plugged the phone into the right socket on the splitter.

If the phone is causing some sort of interference with the modem, you could try getting a single-socket filter. Plug the new phone into it, then plug the single-socket filter into the phone part of the 2-socket filter. In effect, you're "double filtering". It might make the phone sound a little quiet but it should cure the problem.

If it doesn't, then most likely there's a fault with the new phone. Make sure the filter works with an ordinary CORDED phone before doing all of this! Just to completely rule out any probs with the existing filter.

If the phone is causing some sort of interference with the modem, you could try getting a single-socket filter. Plug the new phone into it, then plug the single-socket filter into the phone part of the 2-socket filter. In effect, you're "double filtering". It might make the phone sound a little quiet but it should cure the problem.

If it doesn't, then most likely there's a fault with the new phone. Make sure the filter works with an ordinary CORDED phone before doing all of this! Just to completely rule out any probs with the existing filter.

Even though the only thing thats changed in my set-up is that I plugged out one cordless and plugged in the new one, I believe the new phones are working perfectly.

I was wondering could it be that the new cordless Base has a built-in answering machine; I understand from a google search that you need to filter each application (fax, phone, BB, answer machine etc), but if both are on the one Base station, then perhaps I don't need to?

or, maybe I just need a new filter? (are there differences between them?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gerard Lovett

I rang eircom and they told me you can only buy an extra pack with both the splitter and the filter in it, it takes 5 days to come and costs €28.

You can get them here http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=112634 although they're out of stock!

I rang eircom and they told me you can only buy an extra pack with both the splitter and the filter in it, it takes 5 days to come and costs €28.

You can get them here http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=112634 although they're out of stock!

I gota new Splitter in Peats on the way home last night (€10). Low and behold everything now working perfectly, so it looks like the splitter i was using was the problem.

anyway, crisis averted. One of the guys here at work reckons problme was that the older cordless wasn't a DECT, and the new one is. hence the old splitter didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Apologies for dragging up an old thread. Does anyone have links for where to buy the splitter/filter online? Most of the old links are dead/changed. The above link is for a single filter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Apologies for dragging up an old thread. Does anyone have links for where to buy the splitter/filter online? Most of the old links are dead/changed. The above link is for a single filter.

How many are you looking for? I am sure if you give Peats in Dublin a ring they will post them out to you?

Advertisement