Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entrance/Exit to new Ballymun Ikea store

• 11-11-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭

Hi
    just wondering if anyone know what the story will be with regards to entrances/exits to/from the new Ikea in Ballymun?
    There have been a lot of roadworks on the Ballymun Road in recent months and there is a new junction installed here too. If you drive on the Ballymun Road near the M50, you'll know all about it. The roadworks also include footpath and lighting improvements on Ballymun Road and there is a new 6 lane dual carriageway, which includes 2 bus lanes, from Ballymun Road to Ikea.

All looks very impressive but the query I would like to make is; will this be the main/sole entrance/exit to and from Ikea when it opens? The signs and adverts are already up on the building itself so not sure if they are going to try open before Ballymun/M50 interchange is completed. I had presumed that there would be free flow slips from the M50 to and from Ikea. I'm very worried that Ballymun Road will be fully clogged up from Day 1 if the entrance and exit is on Ballymun Road ONLY. Anyone know anything more than I do?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

Hi
    I guess you are in Northwood too

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/Publications/Roads/FileDownload,8962,en.pdf

Looks like it is the only entrance and exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

OH $HIT :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

highdef wrote: »
    I had presumed that there would be free flow slips from the M50 to and from Ikea.
    There are already far too many junctions on the M50 and you were hoping they were going to add more just for Ikea.

Merging and coming off a motorway is one of the major contributors to congestion on said motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

You dont need another junction just a free flow lane from the Ballymun junction. But that aint going to happen now as the ballymun junction will not be freeflow so at busy times the off ramp will fill up on to the m50.

As far as I know the only entrance is via the Ballymun rd which means an extra set of lights. We will now have 4 sets of lights from santry cross to the m50 roundabout.

It may be a nightmare around there at the weekends. No more nipping on and off the m50 from Northwood or even into town through Ballymun.

Fingers crossed they do it right and have learned lessons from Liffey Valley, Blanchardstown village etc which are nightmares at busy times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

yeah the way the junction has been grade separated shows how future proofed it is, Oh no, wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Ah Yes, the Ballymun junction is going to be a busy one indeed. You can also throw in the Dardistown Metro North tram Park & Ride Stop with 300 car spaces, and you also put in a several thousand seater soccer stadium for Bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Afaik, Fingal imposed a condition on Ikea that it can't open before 10am and must stay open until 10pm, meaning that it shouldn't affect morning rush hour traffic and there'll be no surge in traffic in the evening.

Somehow I don't think a Metro stop will be a worry for the next 5 years or so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That Bohs stadium isn't going to be built, realistically weehamster.

WRT the Ballymun/M50 interchange, I had only meant to have dedicated Ikea off-ramps from the M50. This would not have caused too much in the way of extra congestion. In fact it would have made things a lot better. The way it will (not) work is that traffic arriving from the M50 will get onto Ballymun Road where they will then want to turn right into Ikea. The problem is that the right turn lane for Ikea is not very long. Once a dozen or so cars are in this lane, it will become full and traffic will then block up one of the straight ahead lanes. this will in turn back up onto the M50 interchange and then probably back onto the M50 off-ramps. Two flyovers from the M50 straight into Ikea would have saved so much hassle. There is a load of space for this. The majority of traffic will be coming from the M50, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

There are too may on/off ramps on the M50 is at is. Ramps should not be built to facilitate shopping centres (cf Mahon Point in Cork). My own view is that Ikea should not have been given planning permission for that location

• Advertisement

Agreed, jd. However, it was given permission and it has been built. I reckon the traffic will be a lot worse because off ramps were NOT built. I'm sure the off ramps could have easily been incorporated into the existing off ramps; ie: a slip from an existing off-ramp, rather than building a totally new off-ramp. I do realise that space is tight on the southbound off-ramp, due to the large house and private gardens right beside this off-ramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Does anyone know WHEN in 2009 it will be opening??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Whenever a number of these conditions are met.

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00037741.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

JayeL wrote: »
    Afaik, Fingal imposed a condition on Ikea that it can't open before 10am and must stay open until 10pm, meaning that it shouldn't affect morning rush hour traffic and there'll be no surge in traffic in the evening.

Somehow I don't think a Metro stop will be a worry for the next 5 years or so....

That same condition is imposed up north and do you know how they get away with it? They have a cafe that they open earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

The agents of chaos & mahem are still with us.:mad:

Advertisement