Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Hospital

Options
  • 11-11-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,
    please put me in right forum if I err. But could someone give me an idea what the average cost per year is the fee for the fee paying schools in dublin, in particular Kings Hospital. Pm me if you like

Thanks

Ozziej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

€19 billion per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No idea about Kings Hospital but fees in around South Dublin are about 5 (/5 & a 1/2) grand per year. With the exception of The Institute Of Education which is about 6 and a half thousand.

Wesley afaik do a thing called Day Boarding which includes night study and food dunno exactly how much it costs though, but its a bit more than the base fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just bear in mind that, as the Dept of Education has cut the subvention to private fee-paying schools, the fees are likely to rise considerably next year.

Just bear in mind that, as the Dept of Education has cut the subvention to private fee-paying schools, the fees are likely to rise considerably next year.

YUS *Pelvic Thrust* No chance for them to rape my parents bank account at an even increased rate :)

Actually AFAIK the Institute aren't connected with the DOE*, and their fees aren't massively bigger than other school so the fees probably wont go up by that much.

*I could very well be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Institute probably makes a mint off their revision courses etc. though. Do other fee-paying schools do such things?

Institute probably makes a mint off their revision courses etc. though. Do other fee-paying schools do such things?
    That is an excellent point. But most/at least some of the teachers who do the grinds, dont teach in the day school (again AFAIK), also they only have 2 years of students in school (that said i think theres more students in the 6th there than there is in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I of E is NOT funded by the Irish taxpayer - the fees pay the salaries, as is right imho.

deemark wrote: »
    I of E is NOT funded by the Irish taxpayer - the fees pay the salaries, as is right imho.

I think the whole salary thing there is completely different, the teacher works hard, they get paid well, they teach poorly they get thrown out on their ear. I like how it works in that respect. Its next to impossible to get rid of a teacher anywhere else and it really shouldnt be like that. Teaching has this ridiculous job security associated with it and that NEEDS to be changed (Besides the point though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Fad wrote: »
    I think the whole salary thing there is completely different, the teacher works hard, they get paid well, they teach poorly they get thrown out on their ear. I like how it works in that respect.

I've no problem with that system, makes perfect sense, they are a business at the end of the day! However, a major flaw in the Irish Ed. system is that other fee-paying schools get their teachers' salaries paid by the taxpayer, while they take in fees as well, thus giving them a completely unfair funding advantage over other schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Private schools' students' parents rents pay their tax like any other parent, should they get a tax exemption then cos they're paying for private education? That wpuld seem more fair to me if the D of E cut funding to private schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the teacher works hard, they get paid well, they teach poorly they get thrown out on their ear
    I know absolutely nothing about education but I'm wondering how that would be determined? Examination results/grades? Most non fee paying schools can't really pick and choose their pupils.

A teacher could be giving it 110% and coming up with nothing while another teacher could be quite lazy but happen to have high achievers.

Unlike other sectors, the benefits of education aren't really tangible.

I know absolutely nothing about education but I'm wondering how that would be determined? Examination results/grades? Most non fee paying schools can't really pick and choose their pupils.

You missed the point a bit, I was specifically talking about the Institute, and how that i quite like that system IN the institute. It would obviously be hugely impractical outside the microcosm of the Institute.

(Look if you want to talk specifically about the institute, PM as the debate seems to balloon on boards and people get really worked up over nothing, thankfully the last IoE thread dissapeared, lets not make this another one.

If yis want to make a thread about the Fee Paying School debate, or about the Institute or whatever, feel free, but right here isn't the place for that particular discussion.

about the Institute

Can we please put it in the the charter 1 institute debate thread per year, they really bring the worst out in people.:(

Can we please put it in the the charter 1 institute debate thread per year, they really bring the worst out in people.:(
    It's an entertaining topic, why would we do such a thing?

(Also the internet in general brings out the worst in people.)

Advertisement