Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband slow in Kildare Town [peak times]?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 8:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,last year i had major slowdown at peak times on my eircom broadband connection here in Monasterevin.
    To cut a long story short it took a lot of noise making and speaking to Ireland offline guys before i was put in contact directly to head of comms in eircom before i got my problem sorted.
    For 5 months of ringing eircom support and them trying to tell me i had a virus i got confirmation that yes indeed the towns exchange needed to have its capacity increased.

Im posting on here for my brother who is having this exact same problem in Kildare Town.
    Before going down other avenues i thought id ask on here if anyone else is having issues at peak times?
    I need to be sure its an issue with the towns exchange and not his pc.

The best way to test is to ping eircom or rte etc in Ireland but also bbc.co.uk , jolt.co.uk etc as sometimes when i performed this on the brothers pc it gave nice ping for Ireland but por for UK.

In command prompt type cmd and then in the black dos window type ping -t www.eircom.net and please check what ms you are getting.

Typically a ms ie [ping] of below 50 ms is normal for broadband and acceptable.
    Right now my brother is getting 300-400 ms

Thanks in advance folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Although this is area specific, I think it'll probably attract better advice in the Broadband forum :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Local capacity issues crop up very regularly , Oranmore in Galway is rubbish too.

As eircom often said , there is no demand for Broadband. Therefore the corollary to that is is ' why install enough capacity for Broadband' .

Ironically many small exchanges, enabled in the past year, have more capacity than older exchanges like Oranmore and Loughrea and Athenry ( to name a few I have heard are in a spot of bother )

Roscahill in Galway was the first exchange in the west with 1Gbit of dedicated backhaul to Mervue :)

Roscahill is small , even by Galway standards, around 250-300 lines I'd say

Advertisement