Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase BB Speeds by cutting Bell wire?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Yeah, I signed up to UTV BB about two weeks ago, and got my line activated and my modem sent to me last tuesday. I had some trouble setting it up (my fault with a misspelled username) but the guy on the end @ UTV support knew his stuff inside out, so he helped me out!

So now to my point...

Im getting about 2700Kbps on my 3Meg package with a line attenuation of about 60DB. I've read that cutting the bell power wire and insulating it can increase your broadband speeds since it is an arbitrary cable that just adds interferrence with the signal on the line. I have seen that in the UK you can buy a BT i-plate to replace the plate on the BT master socket which just removes the bell wire and has reported and average increase of between 1.5Mbps and 4Mbps for its users.:eek:

Im hoping to apply the same principal as the i-plate by cutting and insulating the bell wire with electrical tape. Can anybody provide a diagram for the Eircom master socket and point out which wire is the bell wire since this information is no longer acessable on an older thread.

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

1 - Blue/white - "B" Wire
    2 - Orange/white - Ring wire
    3 - White/orange - Used for completeness or as earth in PABX systems.
    4 - White/Blue - "A" wire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is this any good? Bell Wire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Does this actually apply to Eircom lines? I was under the impression it was a BT UK issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Im getting about 2700Kbps on my 3Meg package with a line attenuation of about 60DB. I've read that cutting the bell power wire and insulating it can increase your broadband speeds since it is an arbitrary cable that just adds interferrence with the signal on the line.

Can I observe that if you have a bell wire coming in from outside then the connection point in your house is over 30 years old and possibly 40 ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

Well no its about 5 years old, but I am going under the assumption that Eircom is a less well run company than BT, and BT leave their bell wires in... so by that logic Eircom wouldnt have either since they are a few years behind everyone else.

• Advertisement

eircom only use 2 wires ( also known as one pair) , have you a UK phone from Argos and/or a UK socket for it or something ???

UK phones in Ireland will not ring without a capacitor that we do not have in our sockets

If you have a UK phone that does ring then there is indeed some funny bizniss going on :)

BT has a funny way of making a phone ring, in short!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

ahhh ok! thanks very much for the info!

and anyway it is only SUPPOSED to run at 2.7Mbits if it is an eircom 3Mbit package .

eircom quote their speeds as Gross and inclusive of Overhead so a 3MBIT package is 2.7mbits NET

Smart quote the net speed not the gross speed. Their 3mbits is 3.3mbits by the eircom measure .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can I observe that if you have a bell wire coming in from outside then the connection point in your house is over 30 years old and possibly 40 ???
    My house and the estate it's in is only 8 year old and when the place was near completion Eircom was in lying lines and wiring the house's :confused:

I am talking about the twin twist cable the P&T deployed inside houses until the 1970's , a thick grey and white pair that looked like doorbell wiring .

It is referred to here as indeed are UK phones not ringing :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57175238

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom only use 2 wires ( also known as one pair) , have you a UK phone from Argos and/or a UK socket for it or something ???

UK phones in Ireland will not ring without a capacitor that we do not have in our sockets

If you have a UK phone that does ring then there is indeed some funny bizniss going on :)

BT has a funny way of making a phone ring, in short!!!

you need RJ11 to BT adaptor (supplied free by Argos). Since this would be plugged on the "phone" side of the DSL filter, then even a BT type phone in Ireland doesn't affect performance.

The UK has a different system to almost EVERYONE. Israel uses a BT jack, but the 2 center pins, so BT phones fit socket but don't work at all!!! Beseq wires the RJ11 on Modem/phone/fax straight, wheras BT use the two pins either side of centre pins.

This is why many faxes with RJ11 on fax MC MUST use a 2 core cable to PABX or VOIP adaptors as the two inner are wired for Ireland/Europe/US and the pair either side wired for BT jack. Some Fax machines need RJ11->BT cable, Argos BT -> RJ11 adaptor or they never ring/answer if a straight RJ11 <--> RJ11 patch is used!

The ORIGNAL reason in Ireland and UK for 4 wires was anti-tinkle. The additional pair disabled the bells on all the other phones in the house as the phones had real bells and pulse dial (even if a pushbutton face). A "0" would be 10 tinkles. An electronic "ringer" does not respond to pulses, only real ringing and modern exchanges use DTMF (dual tone signalling) instead of 1 to 10 DC voltage pulses for 1 to 9 + 0. So the old four wire system is not used and even if present won't affect DSL. The "ringing" circuit problem is specific to BT and the BT jack system. Even there a suitable "master" DSL socket avoids it.

Advertisement