Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installed a new hard drive...

Options
  • 11-11-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

... that is to say, I've done all the manual bits and bobs and it's now attached and screwed into my PC.

Where do I go from here? The instructions that came with it have been translated poorly and I'm not entirely sure what to do.

I've looked at the CMOS setup but I don't know how to make it recognise my hard drive.

Hard drive is a Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB) and I'm running on Windows XP.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

It should be plug & play (it is in vista), is it your only hdd or an additional one?
    I had to install software for some hdds on older pc's but the spinpoints dont need any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

you've XP running and this is an extra HD?

Have you right-clicked on 'my computer' and gone to 'Manage' and then clicked on 'disk management'?
    This shows all Hard Drives in System

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Yes, I've checked Disk Management but I still have only Drive 0 and the CD drive - I'm beginning to suspect I have it connected incorrectly!

I have the data cable connected to "SATA 1" on my motherboard, and then the power cable is just connected to a similar looking socket that disappears into my computer somewhere.

Should the power cable connect directly to the PSU or something?

The power to the HD should be the same type as your existing HD, and needs to come from the PSU.
    There should be a bundle of wires from the PSU, several of these should have power connectors

Check your BIOS, see if Sata 1 is enabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Check your BIOS, see if Sata 1 is enabled

How do I do that? Went into BIOS on start-up but I can't find anything to do with SATA.

Do I need certain RAID drivers?

Edit: I realise you didn't mention RAID but it's all I could find when I googled it!

You haven't installed raid, so not an issue.

1. have you confirmed Power to New drive is ok? if not try the power connection you have in the new HD, in the old HD, if PC starts, then ok.

2. make sure Sata is on in Bios
    I mentioned checking the BIOS as a motherboard I worked on had a setting in the BIOS to turn Sata on, off, or Auto (so make sure it is On or Auto)
    I wouldn't know where this is in the BIOS, you'll have to go into all the screens and check.

If this not working, post up info on your motherboard and PC setup

Advertisement