Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think i've blown my motherboard ..doh !

• 11-11-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

i'm having nothing but probs with my pc lately..everything seems to cause hassle...anyway

I have a 2004 Dell Dimension 4600 desktop
    bought 2 new sticks of 512 ram to add to the two already there...
    Put in the 2 new ram and switched it on...system only showd it as having 1gig still
    so took out 1 old ram stick and 1 of the new ones...basically to see if only 512 would show up...thought the ram i got might be bad..
    when i turned on the pc again i heard a little crackling/sparky/electricity noises.....and the smell of something fried soon followed....

now when it starts it just beeps...i think theyre 6 long beeps....which i've googled and it says keyboard error....but i dont think its that

the fans start up alright so i'm guessing its my motherboard

this is the RAM i got...i think its the right type
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/1Gb_Mushkin_DDR_HP3200-PC3200-2_3_3_Dual_Channel_kit/index.html

basically i'm wondering can i replace the motherboard and will it be expensive? what motherboard should i get?

sorry for the long post

or maybe i should just strip i n throw it in the bin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/advtshoo.htm#1105830

Your mobo may be OK, it may be a RAM problem. Can you try it with each stick one at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

hi nip

tried all 4 sticks individually...same result each time....

the beeps may be 2 long and 4 shorter....

its the smell of burning that makes me think something is gone kaput

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

Edited...

Re-read your original post - you have 4 memory connectors, spec I linked says the motherboard has only 2. You might want to investigate the capabilities of your board a bit further before proceeding. Check the numbers printed on the board through google.

Edit: scrap my previous post, this is probably your board:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1105699

Should have been no problem, memory is correct for the motherboard.

board definitely has 4 slots ...and they all went in ok the first try so i wonder why only one gig was showing up..it should've been 2 gigs...

• Advertisement

It's a puzzle why it didn't work then, should have been a no-brainer. According to the spec, your board should be able for 4GB, at the spec you bought.

I put a 512MB module into a PC a few years back, when it was only capable of 2 x 256MB. Luckily I had the case open, as the memory module got very hot very quickly, so I could pull the power cord out quickly, but part of the sticker on it melted as a result. I put the original RAM back in, but it didn't start, so I took out the RAM again, left the PC for a few minutes (as I contemplated the excuses I was going to tell my parents, as it's their PC), but when I came back again to it, put the RAM back in, it worked fine (and still is). I even tried the new RAM in a capable machine, and it worked perfectly as well. (I may have disconnected all cables attached to the motherboard before retrying the RAM, but don't remember - might be worth trying; also might be worth trying with a different/no keyboard?).

Chances are the new RAM has caused the problem. I've never used RAM with heatsinks, is it possible that the metal on the sink can short a connection on the memory module? If your original RAM isn't working, then it's probably a bad sign.

how would i go about getting a new mobo? what type etc? surely i'll find a second hand one on fleabay...it is an old computer

i havent a clue what i need to get......

Advertisement