Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64 bit Vista worth it?

Options
  • 11-11-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Ive been thinking about upgrading to a 64 bit operating system to get the most use out of my 4 gigs of ram , i need to format and would like to experience Dx10.
    But before i spend my dosh id like to know a bit more about it.
    A friend of mine was telling about nightmares of unsigned drivers,poor 32 bit compatibility and performance hits etc.....
    Is there any truth behind these stories? Id be a fairly avid gamer so that would be something to consider.
    Anyone have any experience with this? Which version of Vista 64bit is the best choice?
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Virgil° wrote: »
    Ive been thinking about upgrading to a 64 bit operating system to get the most use out of my 4 gigs of ram , i need to format and would like to experience Dx10.
    But before i spend my dosh id like to know a bit more about it.
    A friend of mine was telling about nightmares of unsigned drivers,poor 32 bit compatibility and performance hits etc.....
    Is there any truth behind these stories? Id be a fairly avid gamer so that would be something to consider.
    Anyone have any experience with this? Which version of Vista 64bit is the best choice?
    Cheers in advance.

Signed drivers are required normally, but signing can be turned off. This would only affect you if you're going out of the way to use beta drivers.

The 32bit compatibility thing is baseless nonsense, Vista 64bit, just as XP 64 bit, runs all its 32 bit apps using the Windows On Windows layer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Vista 64 bit is very stable and you should run into very few if any additional problems by using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Not sure if having the full 4Gb of RAM made any noticeable difference but have had no gaming or any other issues with 64bit Vista. That said a friend did have to change his wireless card as there were no 64-bit drivers available so check if they are available for your hardware before you dive in.

I went for the OEM home premium version. Bought it from dabs.ie but check komplett.ie also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Smallcats

Im going to go with 64 as well and found full versions on ebay of ulimate both 32 and 64 bit for 180euro check it out before you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've been using 64-bit ultimate edition for months now (both pre and post SP1) with very few issues. The occasional piece of software that I used to use on WinXP doesn't have a 64-bit vista equivalent but that's about it. Driver-wise I've had zero issues. and I use a self-build PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would move up to 64 bit myself, but im not interested in the added cost of having to buy a new license. Second, Windows 7 is not too far away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Overheal wrote: »
    I would move up to 64 bit myself, but im not interested in the added cost of having to buy a new license. Second, Windows 7 is not too far away.

A Vista 32bit licence is good for the 64bit version as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spear wrote: »
    A Vista 32bit licence is good for the 64bit version as well.
    Yup, you're 32bit license will work with a 64bit version of vista (as long as it's the same version e.g. both home premium). You just need to get you're hands on a 64bit disk.

Advertisement