Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegan mothers are five times less likely to have twins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

weird alright, wonder if you were a meat eater and did not want twins how long you would have to turn veggie for, before conception.

Lots of people in my work are having twins, it is a real worry with the cost of it all. If you had one kid already, then you have to go buying twin buggies etc. And then staying up more nursing/minding 2 of them. I think many would turn veggie for a while at least!

I remember hearing certain foods were more likely for boy/girl, but never twins.

A scarey amount of people around me seem to be having twins too.
    Hopefully they are the result of fertility treatment.

I quite like the idea in theory of more bang for your buck pregnancy wise.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    A scarey amount of people around me seem to be having twins too.
    Sure is, one in work had triplets. And over half of the other births in the last 3-4years were twins in my place.
    I quite like the idea in theory of more bang for your buck pregnancy wise.
    But you need more bucks to pay for your "bang"!
    One guy had to leave work, just couldnt afford it anymore and he was in a decent enough job. You could tell others were upset/concerned over the news of twins, huge financial setback.

Only read the med thing now, seems it is more concerned with dairy, and mentions hormones in cattle, I suspect the study was US where there is probably more of these hormones used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Why is it scary for so many people to be having twins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

I remember this article in the Sunday Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article722873.ece

I have twins, and they're not scary at all. :D
    I was soooo happy and excited when I found out, no major strains so far :)

So, if you're veggie and have a high dairy diet- better watch out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i'd love to have twins in the future, but with no dairy in my diet... i'm a twin and so are my brothers... it's gotta be in the family :)

taconnol wrote: »
    scary as in unusual I suppose
    the rate of twin births in the United States rose by more than 75% between 1980 and 2003.

And the financial prospect is daunting/scary to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Maybe vegans are less likely to use fertility drugs.
    Athough the study puts it down to hormones in beef and dairy, which is scary. Eu rules are stricter than US rules on hormones thankfully

taconnol wrote: »

Scary as in curiously unnatural and therefore maybe a cause for concern.
    I used to work in a place where all the staff were having girl babies, because of what they were exposed to in the work envioroment.

Is it possible that if you eat a calorie excess, that you are more likely to have twins?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I used to work in a place where all the staff were having girl babies, because of what they were exposed to in the work envioroment.

How does that work? Doesn't the sperm determine the sex of the baby? What were you exposed to?
    An equal number of male and female sperm are created, so was it that male babies were spontaneously aborting? That's unsettling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement