Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3Mbps Upgrades not running at 3Mbps

Options
  • 11-11-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Ive just noticed that everyone who has been upgraded from 2Mb to 3Mb only gets 26xxKbps. Even poeple with good low line attenuation and good SNR have been getting that.

true 3Mbps should ideally be closer to 3000Kbps and should be able to acheive at least 380KBps download speed.:confused::confused::confused:

Whats the story with that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

This is based on what i have read in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342629

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wasa maxing out at around 330KBps I think. I'm currently maxing out at 60KBps. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

true 3Mbps should ideally be closer to 3000Kbps and should be able to acheive at least 380KBps download speed.:confused::confused::confused:

3Mbps is three Mega bits per second where the download of 380 KBps is kilo Bytes per second.

To convert from bits to bytes you divide the bits figure by 8. That with the 3000 gives you 375. However, you have to take in many factors including overhead so you will never get that 375. You'd be getting a result of 300 - 320 kBps.

Can you check you line stats??

You should see the Downstream Sync speed.

If you see 3072 then you have been upgraded and more diagnosis would be needed.

If it is 2048, then you haven't been upgraded. Many of the exchanges around Ireland have not been upgraded. Think there is a thread saying of which ones are going to be upgraded soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You will not get the full 3Mbit, its the overheads of the copper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Unless you have Smart who sync at higher speeds to give you your full 4 Mbit :)

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Divide by 10 is a approximation that includes connection protocol overhead.

Advertisement