Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing a bleed valve

Options
  • 11-11-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

a few years ago I was letting air out of the en suite radiator and when tightening up the valve, I wrung off the nut head by tightening it too much.
    Now the cold is really back, and more air has found it's way into the rad, I need to bleed it again.

the original valve nut was iron or some grey metal.
    I got a new valve unit of brass. Can I just close both of the rad taps at the bottom, unscrew the bleed valve and screw in the new brass one?

is there any issue using brass on a steel rad?

i presume I just note how open the outflow tap is and re-open the normal tap to full?

Should I be concerned about the rad filing with air? It's a single panel rad about 80x60cm

Any other gotcha's to worry about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

You just about have it all sorted
    No problem using brass
    If you cant get the rest of the old nut out
    You could drill the smallest hole’ that you can on top of the radiator’ use a self tapping screw’ with plumbers tape’ rap this around the screw and tighten’ until the water stops’ other than this you will need to replace the rad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the valve is at the back of the rad, it is likely that the vent you bought won't fit it. If it is at the end, you can just replace the whole fitting as you described. Use PTFE tape on the threads when you screw in the new one.
    Jim.

Advertisement