Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Nostalgia thread

Options
  • 11-11-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread that we could talk about old memories of the town, for those that grew up in the 70s and 80s. Like does anyone remember McDonnell's shop in Ard Easmuinn? Anybody who went to the Redeemer school should, it'd be so packed at lunchtime. The bell would ring when you'd go in. Loads of sweets would be in jars on the counter. Jaw Breakers and Fizzle Sticks.:o
    The big hill down to the school when it'd snow would make a deadly slide if you had a big plastic bag to sit on:o. Bonfire night in the Summer when you'd be black going home. Games we'd play-'Red Rover', 'I-2-3' (some called 'tip the can'), 'Polo', 'A Broken old ship (came over the sea, and all that was left was the letter...) Charlie the ice cream man, Larry Rice's shop-on-wheels and the mineral man who'd go round the estates selling limeade, raspberryade etc. Halloween night when we'd go 'mumming' (halloween's coming and the geese are getting fat).
    Games with balls girls would play like 'plainy Irish Rhubarb' or 'Plainy marmalade':o
    Hopscotch and skipping games-'Under, over, in, out'. That one with elastic bands around your ankles 'England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Inside, outside, inside, scales!'.The old phone boxes that were dotted around the town, sometimes you'd have to walk miles to find a working one. 'Cheers' pub when it was great crack...World cup 1990! Could you ever forget?! And before that back to when it was 'The King's' bar and Mickey Grant doing DJ. Jokers, Images with the deadly video Juke box, Evitas and Tivolis-remember free before 11pm on a Friday night for women and the meal upstairs you'd get a ticket for on admission. Ah, fun times.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

At the risk of sounding like an alco...

MJ's on Park st. with its huge staircase.
    The Wine Tavern were we all started drinking at 15/16.
    The Mineshaft (bottom floor of the Tara)
    The Cellars bar
    Willies before the Kehoes got it.

Jocks when he was just a stall outside McGuill Travel before he moved to outside the post office.
    The square before the fountain, when the carnival used to set up with its swinging boats.
    Roller discos in the Downtown, long Walk.
    Tarot video in The Demesne, 1st video shop in town.
    Sheep in the De La Salle field. (No, I didn't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

At the risk of sounding like an alco...

The Mineshaft (bottom floor of the Tara)
    )

oh my god the mineshaft! i thought i'd never drink anywhere else. i'd love to go back in there as it was back in the day, free juke box and the pre requisite of having long hair and only wear black. ah memories. i remember you could get a vodka tonic and diet coke, a pint of bulmers and 2 bags of crisps for a fiver and still come back with change. a great night to be had for 20 quid and still get a bacon cheese burger in abra when it was proper abra and j.c. used to do the door! i remember back in 94 they did a special screening of 'in the name of the father' a wobbly tape from jonesboro. you'd have thought daniel day lewis worked in the place it was that packed. Good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not exactly nostalgia (meaning home sickness) but old memories certainly. That's if you consider the Wine Tavern or McDonnells shop to be a long time ago. :p
    What about McCabes Shop in Ard Easmuinn or Paddy Hands in Park Street or the Oriel Cinema or Cannis McManus in what became Jocks in Earl Street, or Liptons, or Superquinn first time round, or the Home and Colonial, or Woolworths, or Hanrahans Chippy in the Laurels, or Bella Bakers, or Annie Morgans?
    Where does it end?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol the Mineshaft....great memories (or lack of) of that place.

Earl Inn back when you usedn't be able to get up the stairs...Jokers, where I both worked and went out to...easily one of the best atmospheres of any pub in the town both then and since.
    Going to have to mention club nights at Pa's DSC even though that's a wee bit more recent (94-96)...groundbreaking both music and attitude wise...in Dundalk, clubbing was all downhill from there as fas as I'm concerned.
    ...before the Kehoes got it.
    ANYWHERE before the feckin' Kehoes got it...

Hmm, it's all about the pubs really...I didn't spend my formative years in the town so no really old memories of other stuff...Woolworths where Boyds is now...the 4 Lanterns when it was the closest we'd ever get to having a McDonalds...oh and the smell of the brewery...miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Cannis McManus in what became Jocks in Earl Street

His wife taught me Irish in the Marist, his TV shop closed up in a bit of hurry! overnight as I remember.
    Another under-age drinking den was the snooker hall at the back of McCourt's Arcade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Not exactly nostalgia (meaning home sickness) but old memories certainly. That's if you consider the Wine Tavern or McDonnells shop to be a long time ago. :p
    What about McCabes Shop in Ard Easmuinn or Paddy Hands in Park Street or the Oriel Cinema or Cannis McManus in what became Jocks in Earl Street, or Liptons, or Superquinn first time round, or the Home and Colonial, or Woolworths, or Hanrahans Chippy in the Laurels, or Bella Bakers, or Annie Morgans?
    Where does it end?:confused:
    I remember McCabe's in Ard Easmuinn, for some reason used to be sent up there on Sundays for messages.
    Don't remember Paddy Hands but do remember Peter Hughes'. There was 'Backhouses' supermarket that used to deliver in cardboard boxes.My dad used always called that shop 'Bella Baker's before it was 'Diamond's' then 'McGiverns', dunno what's it's called now. Remember Faugheys' and Monahans' shops in McSwiney St and Lucy Soraghan's on the corner in Park St beside the old veg shop?
    Azzi's chippy in Market st, then more recently 'Gulliver's' restaurant beside Dunnes in Park St, the 'Bluestone Grill' where Mullen's is now in Roden Pl and when Malocca's was in Park St. Oh and the Golden Fry in Bridge St-lovey grub there!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

bettedavis wrote: »
    a great night to be had for 20 quid

We used to drink in the Mineshaft when we were still at the 'De La' and had no cash. If we went out during the week we'd buy the cheapest drink the had which was Blackcurrant and water for 16p.
    When things were really tight we would mix our own and smuggle it in and keep under the table. How skint were we????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

having been thinking about the mineshaft for the 1st time in a million years i got into the car at lunchtime and they were playing enter sandman by metallica on today fm. Freaky coincidence, haven't heard that since the mineshaft days. as these things always happen in 3's, i expect to bump into the long haired love of my mineshaft days on the street tomorrow......and he will be bald as a coot !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Now here's one for any real Dundalker (is that the term??).....

Remember the graffiti cryptic message "The sweat is hopping of dot" written on a wall opposite where the bus station now is? Would love to know the story behind that message....

I remember reading that message! Wtf?!:DI can't for the life of me picture the actual wall it was on though. The tennis court that used to be in Ard Easmuinn had 'c*cks and fannies make babies' on a wall beside it. I used to think fannies were boobies so that baffled me for years.:o The China bridge used to have something about H Block on it among other nationalist slogans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Wertz wrote: »
    Earl Inn back when you usedn't be able to get up the stairs...Jokers, where I both worked and went out to...easily one of the best atmospheres of any pub in the town both then and since.

Going to have to mention club nights at Pa's DSC even though that's a wee bit more recent (94-96)...groundbreaking both music and attitude wise...in Dundalk, clubbing was all downhill from there as fas as I'm concerned.

I was in college in Dundalk from 1998 to 2003, but my Dad worked in Dundalk for a good few years before that, so I remember 'the town' from around the early 90's...

My first night out in Dundalk was in Pa's.. Groundbreaking wouldn't be a word I would describe it as :p Only 2 minutes in the door as some fella was offering us various chemical delights... only in pa's :pac:

The Earl back in the day before it was the pyramid and parker browns? i think they called the bar? Anyway, when it had the overpass, bridge thing. My first couple of college years it was like that anyway.

When the Muirhevna Inn was called the Muirhevna Inn. It was grubby, smelly and had broken furniture, but it was fun. The refurb to The Malt House was nice though...

Rock the planet/LA rock.. old skool!

The old cinema where you could hear the film in the next screen. I remember having the weird experience of watching the re-release of the exorcist and hearing the spice girls movie sound coming through the wall... :pac:
    Wertz wrote:
    the 4 Lanterns when it was the closest we'd ever get to having a McDonalds...oh and the smell of the brewery...miss that.

4 lanterns was a classic alright. I think its gone now completely isn't it? I was driving through there recently and didn't see the 4 lanterns sign. Spent many a 4am burger adventure in there after a college ball... :)

I miss going to 'The Jockeys' pub for toasted ham and cheese sambos and soup for lunch.. legendary stuff..

Ann22 wrote: »
    The China bridge used to have something about H Block on it among other nationalist slogans.
    You're seriously confused here! The China Bridge (which was modeled on a Chinesse bridge as seen on Willow Pattern plates) was at the bottom of what is now the Long Walk. It was gone decades before the H Blocks were even thought of.
    Do you mean the littleunderpass bridge for the railway linking Ard Easmuinn and Pearse Park? If so, no comparison!!

My first night out in Dundalk was in Pa's.. Groundbreaking wouldn't be a word I would describe it as :p Only 2 minutes in the door as some fella was offering us various chemical delights... only in pa's :pac:
    Trust me, as someone who used go out clubbing prior to this around the town, and ended up having to go to the North or Dublin for decent club nights, Pa's was a breath of fresh air, even if it was a cramped dump that reeked of barfood. At one stage they were coming from as far away as Navan and Dublin to the place. Great vibe to those nights.
    The Earl back in the day before it was the pyramid and parker browns? i think they called the bar? Anyway, when it had the overpass, bridge thing. My first couple of college years it was like that anyway.
    Aye when it had the steel walkway thing and even prior to that...they buried that spot when they turned all egyptian and ended up with a white elephant. The Earl could be great again if it had the right owners.

When the Muirhevna Inn was called the Muirhevna Inn. It was grubby, smelly and had broken furniture, but it was fun. The refurb to The Malt House was nice though...

Rock the planet/LA rock.. old skool!

My local for years till they did it up and got stuck up doormen. Great place to go out for an early drink and a few games of pool before heading to the town proper.

Rock the planet lol, forgot all about that place...used to be worth a punt on a friday night for cheap drinks and decent sounds...then the scummers ruined it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

what a blast from the past! Enjoyed reading all the posts about Dundalk of olden days. Memories came flooding back of mass in St. Patricks or the Redeemer and then a treat on the way home to Peter Hughes. the sunday morning traditional music in the Lorde and in Peter Mc laughlins. HARRY LEE'S shoe shop. Do you remember the adds he ran on Telestar radio for them. Completely self produced. The square before the fountain when it was a car park of hardcore and puddles. Does anyone remember the little veg shop facing the court house. Mc Donnells, I think. A husband and his wife ownded it. It's all coming back now.......The Emer bakery, the phone kiosks' in the post office, the smell in the post office, MJ's lounge and the Mineshaft. The Curry van at the square! Mc Donnell's shop in Seatown where you could buy a single fag and hope the nun's didn't catch you! Rolling skating in Blackrock on a Sun afternoon. Sitting at Kelly's monument after school or on the steps of the Argus. Laps of the Shopping Centre on a Sat, looking cool. What about '40 coats' who used to push the shopping trolley around the town. Who was he? What happened to 'mad Benny'? Telestar radio and Gerry Byrne's Love Songs. I wonder if any of those couples are still together??? I am gone a while now but visit regularly. It's all so different now.

okgirl wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the little veg shop facing the court house. Mc Donnells, I think. A husband and his wife ownded it. It's all coming back now.....
    Do you mean Donnellys at the end of the little run of single storey wooden shops? Two men ran it; a Mr Donnelly and Michael Whyte. Both long dead I'm afraid.

Do you mean the littleunderpass bridge for the railway linking Ard Easmuinn and Pearse Park? If so, no comparison!!

That is still locally known as china bridge. Never heard it called anything else.
    okgirl wrote:
    Laps of the Shopping Centre on a Sat, looking cool.

lol

Wertz wrote: »
    That is still locally known as china bridge. Never heard it called anything else.

You amaze me! I was born in Coxes Field, later to be called Ard Easmuinn, when the estate was fields of turnips and cattle. I lived there for almost 50 years and I have never heard it called the China Bridge. I used the bridge 4 times a day from I was 6 years old until I was over 40 and less frequently before and since, and the only China Bridge I ever heard of was the one on the old estate where Superquinn now is.
    Despite your nostalgia, I think your calling it the China Bridge must be a relatively new invention based on someones recollection of the original bridge (which was a masterpiece of design and construction).

Despite your nostalgia, I think your calling it the China Bridge must be a relatively new invention based on someones recollection of the original bridge (which was a masterpiece of design and construction).

Only living in the town since '88 and anyone I hung around with from Ard Eas or that part of the town always referred to it as such. I'd say you're correct though...that's how some stuff gets passed on.
    Be interesting to see a pic of the original one...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

okgirl wrote: »
    What about '40 coats' who used to push the shopping trolley around the town. Who was he? What happened to 'mad Benny'? .

Both long dead I'm afraid
    40 coats was Barry Evans a Welshman who 'lived' at the old Louth Hospital on the Crescent and Mad Benny was Benny Loughran from Ravensdale. That little fruit shop at the Square may have been McBrides?
    Anyone remember Pat McGraths music and record shop at the Demesne ? many a hour lost rummaging through 45's and LP's :D

I was in my teens when I first heard it referred to as the China bridge. My dad who was born and reared in McSwiney st never called it that, it was someone of my age I heard it from. It probably was mistakenly called that in the first place but everyone I know now does. I habitually call the other little bridge down by the Clans the 'Tesco' bridge since Tesco was where Dunnes was but I only refer to it as such to my family 'cos it sounds silly.:o

• Advertisement

Donal McArdle's used to be there in that wee row of shops at the square too. I remember my mother buying me a bun in the Emer - one of those pink lumpy ones full of jam and cream,dropping it at the bus office in the puddles and sadly watching it out the bus window as we drove off:(.
    Remember Radio Carousel before Telstar? With Hugh Hardy's lunchtime show 'Country Call'-he died lately RIP. The other DJs Mike Ahern, Kieran Murray and Ray Stone. My sister queued for their autographs in the shopping centre :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I remember my Mum taking me to St Gerard's Novena in the Redemptorist every November - one of those Dundalk 'rites of passage' that I don't think I've heard of anywhere else!

There's not much I miss about 80's / early 90's Dundalk though. It was a pretty grim time, where lots of Park St. was boarded and painted light-blue, although even the paint had flaked off, and the boards were rotting. Even Clanbrassil St. had some of the same, although the Chuchullan paintings next to the Isle de France were memorable.

The smell of hops brewing from the Harp was fairly rank too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I love the smell of the harp!

Does anyone remember the Bluestone Grill ?? Before Mullens.. Now thats a tasty burger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

mr_angry wrote: »
    The smell of hops brewing from the Harp was fairly rank too!

Yeah used to turn my stomach every morning walking up for that 6.30am train to Dublin...

Funny thing though, in Dublin I lived near the Guinness brewery and the smell of Guinness brewing was actually quite nice.. Harp on the other hand was a bad smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Ann22 wrote: »
    I thought it'd be nice to have a thread that we could talk about old memories of the town, for those that grew up in the 70s and 80s. Like does anyone remember McDonnell's shop in Ard Easmuinn? Anybody who went to the Redeemer school should, it'd be so packed at lunchtime. The bell would ring when you'd go in. Loads of sweets would be in jars on the counter. Jaw Breakers and Fizzle Sticks.:o
    The big hill down to the school when it'd snow would make a deadly slide if you had a big plastic bag to sit on:o. Bonfire night in the Summer when you'd be black going home. Games we'd play-'Red Rover', 'I-2-3' (some called 'tip the can'), 'Polo', 'A Broken old ship (came over the sea, and all that was left was the letter...) Charlie the ice cream man, Larry Rice's shop-on-wheels and the mineral man who'd go round the estates selling limeade, raspberryade etc. Halloween night when we'd go 'mumming' (halloween's coming and the geese are getting fat).
    Games with balls girls would play like 'plainy Irish Rhubarb' or 'Plainy marmalade':o
    Hopscotch and skipping games-'Under, over, in, out'. That one with elastic bands around your ankles 'England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Inside, outside, inside, scales!'.The old phone boxes that were dotted around the town, sometimes you'd have to walk miles to find a working one. 'Cheers' pub when it was great crack...World cup 1990! Could you ever forget?! And before that back to when it was 'The King's' bar and Mickey Grant doing DJ. Jokers, Images with the deadly video Juke box, Evitas and Tivolis-remember free before 11pm on a Friday night for women and the meal upstairs you'd get a ticket for on admission. Ah, fun times.:)

god i remember so much of Dundalk and all mentioned in this thread, have to say larrys shopvan was great he even took butter vouchers for anything going..

ah yeh charlies ice-cream was great as a kid anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

The Sunshine Bar...

Mad Benny Isn't dead?! Sure I seen him a few weeks ago.
    And that other Mad chap that rides the bike and sings, he won an Elvis competition in the marshes there.

Remember woolworths and all the stalls and Jimmy the veg man.

Benny Bradys on a saturday afternoon, all the wee ones a bottle of red lemonade and a 20p to run down to Donal Mcardles for some sweets,

B&M on Clanbrassil Strett, My Mother did her shopping in there on a saturday

I remember when the Dunnes in Park Street had a food section.

Super Crazy prices... Remember that, when H.Williams was it? closed down in coxes and we all had to go to SCP for the yellow pack goods!

I remember getting chester buns.
    Ice house hill before they did it up. It was way more fun back then. The Black Pass.
    When they put real trees upon top of the harp.
    When Santa came through town on a sleigh and threw lollipops at you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah yes, many a summers weekend was spent watching bands of varying shitness perform in the Sunshine beer garden. Great days. Maybe head across to Wisemans for a game of pool and watch some other crappy bands.

Bobo the forty year old man with the 4 inch ponytail, owner of that record store on Park St (Think it was next door to MJ's?) organiser in chief of these band nights. Wendimiller, Musclehead Vs Gravity Man, Fleur (A Suede covers band in Dundalk WTF!) After Purple and Rumble. Legends one and all, forget the bit where Pighead said the bands were crappy. He's just jealous he was never in any of them. Although he did do handclaps for After Purple one evening in Wisemans.:cool:

Snoddy wrote: »
    The Sunshine Bar...

Mad Benny Isn't dead?! Sure I seen him a few weeks ago

Seriously?! I was sure he was dead, that he was killed. Feck! Everyone was talking about it a few years ago. Maybe it was a ghost you saw.:eek:

Pretty sure Mad Benny is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Mad Benny is indeed RIP. Found at his home in Ravensdale a few years ago. There were also about a dozen bikes there as well !

Advertisement