Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Nostalgia thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

it's about time the square was ripped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

What a cool thread, thanks OP.
    Went to AnCo in about '1986 / 87
    Great, mad times.
    Used to cash our cheques in the shopping centre (Crazy Prices) and get ratarsed every Thursday in the Bar Upstairs.
    MJ's,
    Images in the Imperial Hotel,
    4 Lanterns and the Wimpy,
    Kings Tavern (great spot)
    Couldn't pass a pub, head out to the Fairways or the Oasis in Carrick.
    Lost so many brain cells in Dundalk in those days, great times.
    Jaysus thanks for bringing all the memories and faces back to me...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

For the post up, the railway bride by pearse park/redeemer was called china bridge, as much as i recall from my youth, also playing around in Duffy construction yard, which is now the longwalk shopping centre, and hanging from the orchard trees which is now the bus station/carpark when the bus station was on the opposite side of the road.

Superquinn in square, which also came supermacs with 2 floors which used to make a killing at night, remember staggering into a few times..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BordorFox wrote: »
    the railway bride by pearse park/redeemer was called china bridge,

No, No, No. The China Bride was at the end of the Long Walk near where Superquinn is now. It was a bridge over a stream and looked like something off a Willow pattern china plate. This has come up here several times and I hate to think the real China Bride would be confused with that plain access point.

The bridge under the railway was just a farmer's access to land on the Cox estate stretching to what later became Derryhale Hotel.

I also think the orchard you mention was the other side of Carroll Village facing Oliver Plunkett Pk/Laurels. The name of the owners escapes me at the moment but I remember it well from the late 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

No, No, No. The China Bride was at the end of the Long Walk near where Superquinn is now. It was a bridge over a stream and looked like something off a Willow pattern china plate.
    Clear it up.people from coxes/ard eassmuin and the north end of the town call the bridge between Qeleq/Ecco the China bridge.Im not an expert but evidence will be required and not a "ahh i heard it years ago" story.

• Advertisement

Clear it up.people from coxes/ard eassmuin and the north end of the town call the bridge between Qeleq/Ecco the China bridge.Im not an expert but evidence will be required and not a "ahh i heard it years ago" story.

I lived in Ard Easmuinn before it was called Ard Easmuinn. I remember the China Bridge. I went through the access bridge 4 times a day for over 30 years. It is not the China Bridge. If people now choose to call it that then they are wrong. This is no Urban Myth, check with the Old Dundalk Society or Louth Archaeological Society if you don't believe me. FACT: The China Bridge was at the northern end of the Long Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

27057_100503033318562_100000765972171_10671_3522821_n.jpg

Thanks qc!

(BTW: where's the railway line?? :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MsEmmaLouise

Hi Srameen, I just saw your post there now. My birth father worked in Azzis in Bachelors Walk and I am trying to find out more about where I could possibly get in contact with him for the first time. His name was Kevin and Sammy his best friend used to work there.... do you remember anything or anyone from Azzis or any information which may be of any help to me please let me know

Hi Srameen, I just saw your post there now. My birth father worked in Azzis in Bachelors Walk and I am trying to find out more about where I could possibly get in contact with him for the first time. His name was Kevin and Sammy his best friend used to work there.... do you remember anything or anyone from Azzis or any information which may be of any help to me please let me know

I'm afraid not. I never went in to Azzis in Bachelors walk but did on occasion go to their cafe in Park street - I never knew any of their name though

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Hi Emma, This link might be of help to you. It's a facebook page of Dundalk northend and friends.
    Their are lots of local people of all ages involved and someone might be able to give you information on your quest.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/laurenceol69/
    Best of luck on your search.

Hi thanks I just added that page on facebook :) thank you for your help and fingers crossed someone knows more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Here is something for the exiles C'mon the town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUcvh2TF8A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Now that is pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PaulFarrell73

Drac McCrudden
    Aiden McCabe RIP
    Jimmy McEneaney
    The Baz
    Tommy McCrudden
    Ann McQuillan RIP
    Phil Tippin RIP
    Paul Farrelly
    Barney Foley
    Benny Talt
    Sean Walker
    Emer McCourt
    Freda McQuillan
    Frances Mullen
    Mary Gaskin
    Spats Connolly
    Phillip Cunningham
    Paul Farrell (ME!)

To name a few. Saturday nights at Endas Lounge listening to Mousetrap, crammed into this first floor bar. Then the Cellars listening to Vanilla Essence and finally The Ploughmans at the back of McCourts arcade. Long hair, jeans and constant denial of being a culchee! Eric Clapton even came to Dundalk!!

Horslips at the Imperial Hotel, Slevin and Shields at the Banana Club.

Remember folks? I was 16-18 then. Now an real old bastard at 56. Living in London happily married to Annie. Used to live at Cortial Kilkerley. My Dad Tom died in 1995. Still miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Seen this on twitter, short documentary on Paddy McDowell AKA Jesus Jones

https://vimeo.com/104611376

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

So good people of Dundalk, can anyone remember the name of the upstairs coffee shop in the old shopping centre between Ritchie Blackmore sports and Top Drawer? I know there were other units but it's not Pa's I mean, I'm told it was calld The Coffee Dock but I can't help think it had a different name in the 80s/90s too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

So good people of Dundalk, can anyone remember the name of the upstairs coffee shop in the old shopping centre between Ritchie Blackmore sports and Top Drawer? I know there were other units but it's not Pa's I mean, I'm told it was calld The Coffee Dock but I can't help think it had a different name in the 80s/90s too?

I remember it being called the Coffee Dock alright... Not sure what it was before that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The name over the door was indeed The Coffee Dock, but everyone just called it either Connolly's or the Coffee Shop. Owned by the same Connolly family as the Deli downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Rockatooty

Hello good dundalk heads

Could anyone help me recall the name of the function room at the back of the cellars at backhouses in the 70s and 80s?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rockatooty

I think billy moran used to be one of the bouncers

Rockatooty wrote: »
    Hello good dundalk heads

Could anyone help me recall the name of the function room at the back of the cellars at backhouses in the 70s and 80s?
    Thanks in advance

Was it not just called the Cellars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I won a moonwalking competition at a party in pa's around 1990 or so, thought it was magic going in there when I was 9....and the shop upstairs in the old shopping centre that had toys and all sorts, spent hours on end in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

368100 wrote: »
    I won a moonwalking competition at a party in pa's around 1990 or so, thought it was magic going in there when I was 9....and the shop upstairs in the old shopping centre that had toys and all sorts, spent hours on end in there

Top Drawer!!!!!

BlueLass wrote: »
    Top Drawer!!!!!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sandman123

I recognise some of the names in the initial posting esp Freda McQuillan and Philip Tipping, my mate from CBS primary (el diablo, or maybe that was me, and he was santiago - don't ask). I left town in 1978. I remember the Banana Club on the Ramparts. I recall bands like Halkwind and other classic 70s bands. Horslips were massive in the Imperial and I was centre stage on air fiddle, but there were only handful of us at their gig at Blackrock in 78. Basement in Backhouse Centre for Punk, though I remember being bored listening to Elvis Costello album instead of live acts probably NRG.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

sandman123 wrote: »
    I remember the Banana Club on the Ramparts.
    Was it not called the Afton Club?

peking97 wrote: »
    Was it not called the Afton Club?

There were both.

• Advertisement

Level 2 in the imperial before heading into the arc...plenty of good nights had!

Advertisement