Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheeler Dealers

Options
  • 11-11-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in the tv forum...

What do the motors regulars think of this program?

Was watching it this eve and they were at a Fiat 500
    He bought the car in Italy (I think, I missed the first half) and reckon travel was only 500 pound. Think h had to get it towed home

The maths are always dubious at least and they never factor in labour.

So, is this program more fiction than fact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's entertainment. pure and simple. I wouldn't take their advice too literally. On another of his programmes, Mike Brewer was giving a Punto Mk2 the onceover and warned viewers not to buy one without the red master key (despite that generation not geiing one)
    They also seem to point out ridiculous flaws to their "customers" when trying to get them to decide between a number of cars (e.g you should buy an A4 cabrio over a Megane cabrio because the Megane's headlight bulbs cost a lot)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

slideways wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be in the tv forum...

What do the motors regulars think of this program?

Was watching it this eve and they were at a Fiat 500
    He bought the car in Italy (I think, I missed the first half) and reckon travel was only 500 pound. Think h had to get it towed home

The maths are always dubious at least and they never factor in labour.

So, is this program more fiction than fact?

I wish my mechanic would work for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The one where he painted a large section of a car with a spray can was ridiculous.

Apart from the sh1te finish you will get it would be bloody expensive for all the paint

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it's entertainment. pure and simple. I wouldn't take their advice too literally. On another of his programmes, Mike Brewer was giving a Punto Mk2 the onceover and warned viewers not to buy one without the red master key (despite that generation not geiing one)
    They also seem to point out ridiculous flaws to their "customers" when trying to get them to decide between a number of cars (e.g you should buy an A4 cabrio over a Megane cabrio because the Megane's headlight bulbs cost a lot)

Yeah I've noticed the ridiculousness of that part of his show. He points at random parts and says "thatll be €250 if it goes" Where as the car he wants them to buy is apparently made of stuff you can get for free in a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed the ridiculousness of that part of his show. He points at random parts and says "thatll be €250 if it goes" Where as the car he wants them to buy is apparently made of stuff you can get for free in a skip.

You're talking about a different program - you mean "Auto Trader", not "Wheeler Dealers". Both very different.

The premise of Wheeler Dealers is to buy a run down modern classic, do it up, and flog it for profit (and he hasn't painted a panel with aerosols in a couple of years now, just etch coated and primered with one). Although the figures are definitely made up, it's not the worst thing on telly whereas Auto Trader on the other hand is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I quite enjoy Wheeler Dealers to be honest. Probably Ed Chinas bits more so than Mike Brewers but it's entertaining enough. That said I would no more be taking the premise seriously as profit making than I would be looking to Top Gear for decent car advice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Watched it last night, entertainment all right. But have to say, after watching last night and Top gear on Sunday witht the 165bhp Fiat 500, why do I now want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You're talking about a different program - you mean "Auto Trader", not "Wheeler Dealers". Both very different.

Colm moved on to talking about auto trader, have a look at the bit I quoted, it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

and he hasn't painted a panel with aerosols in a couple of years now, just etch coated and primered with one

He painted new front wings on a capri with aerosols. It was totally the wrong colour but overall its a good show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I've noticed in every episode so far of the latest season, he has only managed to haggle a measly 100 quid off the original asking price of the cars.

Something seems a bit dodgy about these last few episodes of the latest season. They all seem a bit unrealistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

I like this show a lot. It's definitely one for the car enthusiast who likes to get some oil on their hands at the weekend.

Ed can give some good tips and while I would take the figures with a pinch of salt, it doesn't take away from the program imo.

It's even better if you own one of the cars they're repairing :) You get all the good tips then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I keep missing the bloody new episodes of this lol. Good show, but of entertainment althought the prices can be a bit far fetched... Worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sale price of the 500 was more than you'd pay for a brand new diesel Panda in the UK, which even for a classic... it was meant to have been a cheap car and its less than 40 years old, I wouldn't expect to have to pay that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

MYOB wrote: »
    The sale price of the 500 was more than you'd pay for a brand new diesel Panda in the UK, which even for a classic... it was meant to have been a cheap car and its less than 40 years old, I wouldn't expect to have to pay that much!

How much was it sold for in the end and how much of a profit? The reason I ask is because I fecked off to the cinema half way through and didn't get to see it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

i really enjoy it,its real light entertainment for the diy car nut. agree 100% on the numbers though....
    the series has also featured a good few cars from my dream 10 car garage...
    the porsche 928,a brown one,was for sale on ebay.co.uk today. not sure if it sold or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VolvoMan wrote: »
    How much was it sold for in the end and how much of a profit? The reason I ask is because I fecked off to the cinema half way through and didn't get to see it all.

£6,500 - think the "profit" was £800.

Which would cover a mechanic of Ed's calibre for, um, a day? at most? if you were paying an outside garage to do the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

Love the show

Favouite were the 635 that he swapped interior although the donor came up a bit easy, obviously good researchers.

The blue 325 estate was a peach as well.

As said already one for the enthusiast with the odd bit of oil under the finger nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The show is popcorn - pure and simple. Mike can be a bit annoying tho' but overall watchable.
    However,next week they do over a 1981 Series 3 Landrover - Yawn.......;-P

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

The show is popcorn - pure and simple. Mike can be a bit annoying tho' but overall watchable.
    However,next week they do over a 1981 Series 3 Landrover - Yawn.......;-P

Excuse my ignorance lads, but what satellite channel is it on and what time? Remember it from a few years ago but can't remember where i saw it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Brabus, I watch it on Discovery Turbo (NTL).

Last one I saw was doing up a lovely bronze Merc 320SL he brought back from Germany. Did a small bit of paintwork - no aerosols involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Dades wrote: »
    Brabus, I watch it on Discovery Turbo (NTL).

Last one I saw was doing up a lovely bronze Merc 320SL he brought back from Germany. Did a small bit of paintwork - no aerosols involved.
    SKY 523 or is it 524, think it's 523, well one of those, at least :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

It's on Tuesday on Discovery at 9pm, Sky channel 240, repeated at 10pm on Discovery +1 on sky 241. It is repeated during the week, probably Friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

http://video.discoverychannel.co.uk/services/link/bcpid1873822875/bctid1875337076

in this clip, you can see some of Edd's creations - the sofa car and the double bed car:p

Advertisement