Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate your 2008 1st round draft picks

• 11-11-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's only half a season gone but I'd be interested to see how all the 1st rounders are doing, specially the ones near the top who I originally wanted on the raiders.

Team: Oakland Raiders
    Draft choice: Darren McFadden, RB

Thoughts: When he was drafted I hate the choice, still do to some extent, but he has done alot better then I expected. He's been injuried alot though. I think he will be an excellent back if he stay's health, certainly alot better then the bust I thought he would be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Team: Patriots
    Draft Choice: Jerod Mayo LB

Done a great job this year 65 total tackles 50 solo 15 assisted. Breath of fresh air to any Pats fan with our Aged D and Lack of Depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Colts drafted Center Mike Pollack.

It's early doors for the guy snapping to a legend who missed pre season, but thank God Jeff Saturday is healthy.

Saturday is hard to replace and can be missed. Especially after too many beers following work Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Team: Rams
    Choice: Chris Long

31 tackles and 4 sacks through Week 10. Not blindingly brilliant as a start but he's definitely looking like a promising player on an ailing team. Will be a star in years to come.

OP why did you think McFadden would be a bust? Because he was coming out the year after AP? I didn't see anything that would've indicated bust at all from him in any of the few college games I saw. I suppose Al Davis does have a special ability to make bad players out of good ones... ahem... Randy Moss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Team: 49ers
    Choice: Kentwan Blamer

With Bryant Young retiring Balmer's stitch to Defensive End meant he had big holes to fill. Haven't seen many snaps from him at all this year so defintely too early to rate his progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Team: Baltimore Ravens
    Pick: Joe Flacco

The ravens traded up to pick what they thought was the best QB in the draft after Matt Ryan. The position needed to addressed and so far its looking like it has worked out. Flacco would probably only be getting his 1st start of the season this coming weekend if it wasn't for Troy Smiths illness and Kyle Bollers season ending injury at thh start of the season.
    He's been more or less forced into the starting line up and after getting off to a shaky start, has been instrumental in the turn-around of the ravens fortunes this season. Under Flacco the offense looks more explosive with his ability to throw the deep ball. He is, in my opinion, in the running for rookie of the year.

Stats: 7 TDs 7 INTs 183.2 YPG 1,649 Passing YDs 79.7 QB Rating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭titans

Team : Tennessee Titans
    Pick : 24th in first round, Chris Johnson

Fisher and the titans have shown a fondness for the running game last couple of years. Ledale 'Weight' has been less than impressive since being drafted and Titans needed an explosive playmaker to complement the short yardage power of Lendale.

Cut to 2008, the team is undefeated and the offense is spearheaded by Chris Johnson who has 900 + yards from scrimmage and 6 tds...not bad for a back who shares carries. Lendale meanwhile, has come alive as a result of the added support and threat in the backfield and has 11 tds and 400+ yards for himself.

And special mention to titans o-line for blocking for 1200 rushing yards this season with another seven games to go!

Johnson is easily a top rookie of the year candidate along with Eddie Royal and Matt Ryan.

GO TITANS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Team: Vikings
    Draft choice: Jared Allen

Best god damn investment ever.
    1st round (17) and two 3rd round picks for one of, if not the best defensive end in the game. Immediate production: 8 sacks, 2 safeties, 2 forced fumbles, 27 tackles and an unrivaled drive to play the game.

He turned a mighty impressive defensive line (Williams, Williams & Co.) from last year into a down right scary thing to look at. Holding offenses to just 70.1 yards a game which is currently 3rd best in the NFL behind the Ravens and Steelers and come post season we will be number 1 on that list, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

haha I can just picture the Vikes draft board now with a huge picture of Jared Allen at the top in a Hawaiian shirt giving a thumbs up.

Pretty safe choice alright. Although I'd rate Tuck above him, just about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

id have to say Joe Flacco with the Ravens or......

Felix Jones with the Cowboys or........

Steve Slaton with the Texans (who has been very good so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kansas City Chiefs -

Glenn Dorsey (DT) - Came out of college football with a massive reputation and was taken 5th overall in the draft. Has had 25 tackles, 1 sack and 1 forced fumble so far for a struggling defence. He should get better once the young team finds its feet.

Brandon Albert (T) - Taken number 15 overall, Albert has started 8 games so far this year and is another young gun thrown into the side. It's hard to tell what kind of player he is when everyone around him is struggling.

The Chiefs have a very young team at the moment. Thigpen is a rookie QB and only 24 so it's a difficult task to lead a team going through a transition period. Jamal Charles has done ok in the absence of LJ so there is up and coming talent all over the field.

One rookie who has really impressed me is cornerback Brandon Flowers (no, not the lad from the Killers!). He has looked really good and has 2 interceptions so far.

Basically we might be shite at the moment but give it a few years and this team could be very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,028 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Before the draft, I said that although there were a lot of defenders around the top of the draft that I thought that there were two players who should go in the top three and they were Matt Ryan and Darren McFadden.

Matt Ryan went to the Atlanta Falcons at No. 3 and he has been the most impressive player from this years draft imo.
    Darren McFadden went at No.4 to the Raiders and he has looked really good, but there is the injury problems, I hope its only a temporary thing and that he is not headed for a injury plagued career.

Of the others, as mentioned by Tallaght Outlaws, Jared Mayo has been impressive for the Patriots. Felix Jones looks like he will be a superstar for the Cowboys or somebody else if he can't overtake Marion Barber. Aqib Talib has been impressive for the Bucs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

Kenny Phillips (S) - I think he is doing a good job so far. He had an interception at the end of the Pittsburgh game to help seal things up for the Giants. He also had his first start against the Eagles since the starting strong safety was injured. Before the Eagles game, he was mainly used for nickel and dime sets.

The Giants secondary overall is much improved over last year and Phillips has been a part of that. The secondary was their main weakness last year and a secondary player was a priority for the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Chargers - Antoine Cason

When we picked everyone we wanted bad was gone. We were after beef on the O line but there was a run on them. Then we needed a replacement CB for the loss of Drayton Florence to the Jags (good riddance). I reckon we were seriously considering Mike Jenkins but the Cowboys picked him right in front of us.

Real glad they did cos we ended up picking Antoine Cason outta Arizona. He has been fantastic. Rarely do u see a CB coming straight into the NFL ready to play (look at Rodgers-Cromartie for example). Cason has slotted in at nickel CB and while he has been beaten more than his fair share I am delighted with his production.

Met him in London too and is a smart, real good character guy.

So far I do think Matt Ryan imo was the best draft pick. Not many people back in March agreed with me when I said he will make a difference in Atlanta and now look :D When they got Turner also in the FA this for me gave Ryan and the Falcons the confidence to play good football. Ryan will be easily up there with the Mannings and Brady in the next 4 years.

Flacco also has potential I like him but not as much as Ryan. He is indecisive at times but this is something he can work on like Ryan his rookieness shows at certain times.

Chris Jonson another man that went under radar during the draft not many spoke about him but what an impact he has made for the Titans.

Eddie Royal Im not sold on. Jay Cutler has the ability to put that ball into the arms of any half decent WR and Royals speed helps him on returns. I think Royal will also remain a class below the likes Moss and TO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Xavi6 wrote: »

Brandon Albert (T) - Taken number 15 overall, Albert has started 8 games so far this year and is another young gun thrown into the side. It's hard to tell what kind of player he is when everyone around him is struggling.

In fairness to him, he has had the hardest change to make of anyone in Round 1. Playing LT in the NFL is extremely difficult, moving there from guard even more so. He needs to work a bit on tells - John Abraham of the Falcons was able to tell whether it was a run or a pass from how high his left foot was off the ground. That'll come in time because his foot placement would given him a bit of a head start with the d ends he has to face, with time he'll be better able to read them so won't need it. I like him as an athlete and the way guard salaries are going, even if it doesn't work out and he has to switch back inside to guard eventually he'll still be an okay investment. Compared to Robert Gallery anyway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

So far I do think Matt Ryan imo was the best draft pick. Not many people back in March agreed with me when I said he will make a difference in Atlanta and now look :D When they got Turner also in the FA this for me gave Ryan and the Falcons the confidence to play good football. Ryan will be easily up there with the Mannings and Brady in the next 4 years.

Flacco also has potential I like him but not as much as Ryan. He is indecisive at times but this is something he can work on like Ryan his rookieness shows at certain times.

Chris Jonson another man that went under radar during the draft not many spoke about him but what an impact he has made for the Titans.

Eddie Royal Im not sold on. Jay Cutler has the ability to put that ball into the arms of any half decent WR and Royals speed helps him on returns. I think Royal will also remain a class below the likes Moss and TO.

Not a fair comparison imho. Marshall is your Moss/TO on the Donkeys. Compare Royal to someone like Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, even DeSean Jackson.... Small, shifty type players. Royal is gold. I wish he was not a Donkey!.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Not a fair comparison imho. Marshall is your Moss/TO on the Donkeys. Compare Royal to someone like Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, even DeSean Jackson.... Small, shifty type players. Royal is gold. I wish he was not a Donkey!.

Fair comparison to what though? Im not sold on him my personal opinion.

I would stick Steve Smith in the same category as Moss and TO irregarless of his height. Sure hell Id stick Wes Welker in that same category of great WR. Game winners are game winners no matter how tall they are. Guys that make consistent catches and you know you can depend on. I just dont think Eddie Royal is that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wr's should be grouped on who is the out and out number 1 WR on the team. Moss, TO, Marshall, Steve smith etc are number 1 WR's and this helps players like Royal, Walker, Wayne etc get good numbers.

I dont think Eddie royal will ever be a number 1 WR, and neither will Walker. Wayne has a chance. Steve smith is one of the freak WR's who is small and shifty but still manages to be a legigate no1 WR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wr's should be grouped on who is the out and out number 1 WR on the team. Moss, TO, Marshall, Steve smith etc are number 1 WR's and this helps players like Royal, Walker, Wayne etc get good numbers.

I dont think Eddie royal will ever be a number 1 WR, and neither will Walker. Wayne has a chance. Steve smith is one of the freak WR's who is small and shifty but still manages to be a legigate no1 WR.

That theory is stupid.Are you saying that Boldin isnt a good wr cos he isnt the no.1 on his team.Or saying that Wayne with the Colts isnt cos he's got Harrison on the other side.Where was Harrison last year?

And where has Javon Walker come into this, I hope you meant to write Welker.

You also cant talk about the best wrs in the nfl without mentioning Colston, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson.Just cos a guys small, doesnt mean he cant be a no.1 wr on a team.

Fair comparison to what though? Im not sold on him my personal opinion.

I would stick Steve Smith in the same category as Moss and TO irregarless of his height. Sure hell Id stick Wes Welker in that same category of great WR. Game winners are game winners no matter how tall they are. Guys that make consistent catches and you know you can depend on. I just dont think Eddie Royal is that guy.

ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME? I DO think Eddie Royal is that guy! Eddie has climbed up from 5th spot on the depth chart at the summer to number two during preseason. Hes outperforming alot of the so-called number 1 widereceivers in the league, despite being a "number 2" to one of the best WRs in the league.

Hes playing better statistically that Randy Moss, TO, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress or Marvin Harrison. Thats impressive ....and hes a rookie!

All WRs should be compared by catches, yards and TDs. Who cares about what type of WR they are. Eddie is speedy, but he is a playmaker and a game winner and he is only 22!!! This guy will be a number 1 WR!

Im sold on Eddie Royal and I look forward to seeing him progress and develop and get even better over the next three to five years.

• Advertisement

titans wrote: »
    ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME? I DO think Eddie Royal is that guy! Eddie has climbed up from 5th spot on the depth chart at the summer to number two during preseason. Hes outperforming alot of the so-called number 1 widereceivers in the league, despite being a "number 2" to one of the best WRs in the league.

Hes playing better statistically that Randy Moss, TO, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress or Marvin Harrison. Thats impressive ....and hes a rookie!

All WRs should be compared by catches, yards and TDs. Who cares about what type of WR they are. Eddie is speedy, but he is a playmaker and a game winner and he is only 22!!! This guy will be a number 1 WR!

Im sold on Eddie Royal and I look forward to seeing him progress and develop and get even better over the next three to five years.

Nope im not kidding and you have the right to your opinion.

And titan18 no one said that the other guys are not good where did you get that statement from. Hell Eddie is good just not great. Right now he fits the broncos system but I dont see him being anything more than good. But thats my opinion If im wrong I will admit it when he proves me wrong. Tis my opinion.

it is my opinion, but all you have to go on is what he has done this season. And he has done great for a rookie.

i completely disagree with your comment on Jay Cutlers ability to put the ball into the arms of any half decent WR....isnt that the job of every quarterback in the league, you could then say that 90% of WRs are only half decent and credit it all down to the QB???

noone can predict if Royal will be better than moss and TO. theyve proven themselves...but based on weeks 1 to 12, of season one of Eddie's career, he has the potential to be as good as Moss and TO.

And you also say that royal is only doing so well cos he fits in well with the broncos system?! they pass the ball more than they run cos they cant run at the moment...its a good system...hope defence doesnt catch on or else eddie will be out of a job!??

it is my opinion, but all you have to go on is what he has done this season. And he has done great for a rookie.

No Im also basing my opinion on his college career also. Where at VT he was in the schools top 5 in all purpose yards but that was down to his return ability and his speed.

RECEPTIONS YDS TOUCHDOWNS
    119 1,778 12
    i completely disagree with your comment on Jay Cutlers ability to put the ball into the arms of any half decent WR....isnt that the job of every quarterback in the league, you could then say that 90% of WRs are only half decent and credit it all down to the QB???

Hey we are all human here it is your right to disagree with my opinion and thats fair enough. Jay Cutler has one of the fastest and tightest spirals in the NFL right now and he has the ability to put the ball on the money. Lets not forget yes its a QBs job but look what happened Moss when he went to the Raiders. It always helps to have a QB that you can gaurantee on. And I never used any % so I dont know where you are pulling this from. WR need a good QB to throw them the ball, once they have that then it is up to them to make those all important catches.
    noone can predict if Royal will be better than moss and TO. theyve proven themselves...but based on weeks 1 to 12, of season one of Eddie's career, he has the potential to be as good as Moss and TO.

What do you mean no one can predict?? Eh yes I can but that will be based on my own opinion. Are you a betting man titan? If so betting is based on you predicting so yes you can predict.
    And you also say that royal is only doing so well cos he fits in well with the broncos system?! they pass the ball more than they run cos they cant run at the moment...its a good system...hope defence doesnt catch on or else eddie will be out of a job!??

Yes so he fits into their system you contradicted yourself and made my point stronger. Look at the Patriots WR last year most of them made more catches than they have in 3 seasons in one season because of the Offense the Pats used. So yes a WR in a system based on passing the ball more when he makes alot catches does fit in well into their system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

matt ryan with the falcons, he's been class this season

titan18 wrote: »
    That theory is stupid.Are you saying that Boldin isnt a good wr cos he isnt the no.1 on his team.Or saying that Wayne with the Colts isnt cos he's got Harrison on the other side.Where was Harrison last year?

And where has Javon Walker come into this, I hope you meant to write Welker.

When did I say any of them werent good WR's?:confused: I also said Wayne had a chance to be a no.1 WR for a team. Pretty obviously I meant Welker.
    You also cant talk about the best wrs in the nfl without mentioning Colston, Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson.Just cos a guys small, doesnt mean he cant be a no.1 wr on a team.

My Quote
    Moss, TO, Marshall, Steve smith etc are number 1 WR's

Notice the etc, I wasnt arsed listing every single No.1 WR in the league.

Also, I hope you arent using those players as examples of small players being able to succeed

Marques Colston - 6'4
    Andre Johnson - 6'3
    Calvin Johnson - 6'5

Of course a small WR can be a number 1, like Steve smith, but there's a reason he's in the very small minority off great WR's who are small.

It doesnt matter if he's statistically better then Moss et all, he has the benefit of being line up opposite teams 2nd best CB, Safety, LB, 3rd string CB etc etc. Until players like Royal, Welker etc go up against teams number 1 CB week in week out then you cant compare them to the TO's of this world.

When did I say any of them werent good WR's?:confused: I also said Wayne had a chance to be a no.1 WR for a team. Pretty obviously I meant Welker.

My Quote

Notice the etc, I wasnt arsed listing every single No.1 WR in the league.

Also, I hope you arent using those players as examples of small players being able to succeed

Marques Colston - 6'4
    Andre Johnson - 6'3
    Calvin Johnson - 6'5

Of course a small WR can be a number 1, like Steve smith, but there's a reason he's in the very small minority off great WR's who are small.

Ya, I wasnt using them as examples of small wrs obviously.

But for small wrs, we have:

Lee Evans
    Santana Moss
    Greg Jennings
    Desean Jackson
    Hines Ward
    Bobby Engram
    Deion Branch
    Santonio Holmes
    Roddy White
    Torry Holt
    Derrick Mason
    Marvin Harrison
    Isaac Bruce
    Donald Driver

And if we look at past wrs, we have

Tim Brown
    Irving Fryar
    Larry Centers
    Henry Ellard
    Steve Largent
    Lance Alworth
    Rod Smith
    Sterling Sharpe
    Lynn Swann

All the above wrs are 6foot and under.Some are in the the Hall of Fame already and others are on their way there.

Lee Evans
    Santana Moss
    Greg Jennings
    Desean Jackson
    Hines Ward
    Bobby Engram
    Deion Branch
    Santonio Holmes
    Roddy White
    Torry Holt
    Derrick Mason
    Marvin Harrison
    Isaac Bruce
    Donald Driver

Honeslty, how many of those players are elite WR's in the game though? Harrison is the only definite, with Holt a few years back. There's alot of good players in that list, certainly not great though or even near elite.

Honeslty, how many of those players are elite WR's in the game though? Harrison is the only definite, with Holt a few years back. There's alot of good players in that list, certainly not great though or even near elite.

Harrison,Holt,Ward,Bruce,Driver and I think that Jennings will be.

• Advertisement

titan18 you have pretty much just named all the "named" WR in the NFL. As chucky said not all Great to Elite WR. Alot of them are go to guys and for this reason get all the catches and get named every week. They are go to as they are the best WR the team has or because the QB has a rapport with them. But Harrison as Chucky said is the only one in there that has any chance of being anywhere near the Moss's or TO's. Elite WR are guys you have to make sure is covered always and in most cases you have double coverage on as they will open you up. Alot of those guys on that list rarely experience this. Not to say they are not good WR they just aint the best of the best. 5'11 and 6'0 arent small either they would be average height. Anything from 5'10 under would be imo would be small.

Harrison,Holt,Ward,Bruce,Driver and I think that Jennings will be.

Will be what? Hall of fame or elite?

Will be what? Hall of fame or elite?

Bruce,Holt and Harrison are locks for the Hall Of Fame,and Ward and Driver are possibilities imo.If Jennings continues on has hes started and considering,hes in a young Green Bay side,he can get into the HOF

titan18 you have pretty much just named all the "named" WR in the NFL. As chucky said not all Great to Elite WR. Alot of them are go to guys and for this reason get all the catches and get named every week. They are go to as they are the best WR the team has or because the QB has a rapport with them. But Harrison as Chucky said is the only one in there that has any chance of being anywhere near the Moss's or TO's. Elite WR are guys you have to make sure is covered always and in most cases you have double coverage on as they will open you up. Alot of those guys on that list rarely experience this. Not to say they are not good WR they just aint the best of the best. 5'11 and 6'0 arent small either they would be average height. Anything from 5'10 under would be imo would be small.

No,6'0 and under is small for a wr.Most of those guys are the no.1 wide receivers on their team, and most of them get double coverage when they play.Bruce and Holt have been 2 of the greatest wrs over the last few years also.

Bruce,Holt and Harrison are locks for the Hall Of Fame,and Ward and Driver are possibilities imo.If Jennings continues on has hes started and considering,hes in a young Green Bay side,he can get into the HOF

In fairness hall of fame doesnt make you elite. Whether these guys make the HOF or not doesnt make them the same quality as Moss or other elite receivers. There are players in the HOF that are far better than guys that are in there with them. The HOF is recognition to their services to the NFL.

No,6'0 and under is small for a wr.Most of those guys are the no.1 wide receivers on their team, and most of them get double coverage when they play.Bruce and Holt have been 2 of the greatest wrs over the last few years also.

Bruce WAS good when he was with the Greatest show on Turf as was Holt both are no more than average now. Do they have the greatest in them they used to? Who knows they really dont get the passes thrown to them the way they used to. 6'0 is average my friend and 6'2 over is tall. Between 6'0 and 6'2 is the average height which varies by an inch depending on the draft class. 5'11 might as well be 6'0.

As for the double coverage thing I said they rarely see it. TO and Moss get it everygame and pretty much every play. The No 1 go to guy on most teams will be double covered when the team starts to depend on the pass but most of your list dont go every play in every game double covered.

• Advertisement

HOF makes you elite tbh.Bruce is 3rd in receiving yards.Hows he not elite?If you're saying he was only good in the past, that applies to Harrison aswell

HOF makes you elite tbh.Bruce is 3rd in receiving yards.Hows he not elite?If you're saying he was only good in the past, that applies to Harrison aswell

In fairness he has been in the NFL for 15 years. If you put up a consistent 1,000 yards a season in 14 to 15 years it will give you the 3rd best WR yards ever. Bruce had some excellent years but gave up being consistent when he got older and the rams got ****. He has made some nice catches this year but you can see he is getting outdated.

TO, Moss and Harrison will all outpass Isaac Bruce and be pushing the same numbers Jerry Rice put up. Hence why these guys are elite. Isaac bruce was good but not elite.

And on that note im going to the pub its been emotional as always titan18.

In fairness he has been in the NFL for 15 years. If you put up a consistent 1,000 yards a season in 14 to 15 years it will give you the 3rd best WR yards ever. Bruce had some excellent years but gave up being consistent when he got older and the rams got ****. He has made some nice catches this year but you can see he is getting outdated.

TO, Moss and Harrison will all outpass Isaac Bruce and be pushing the same numbers Jerry Rice put up. Hence why these guys are elite. Isaac bruce was good but not elite.

And on that note im going to the pub its been emotional as always titan18.

You know that TO and Harrison are old, right.They've been in the league since '96,and thy would have to out 3000 yards a season to reach Rice.They might not even reach Bruce's number,like Moss.Although,if Harrison plays another season,he shud get it.And playing in teh NFL, and putting up 1000 yards consistently for 14 to 15 years is an unbelievable achievement

You know that TO and Harrison are old, right.They've been in the league since '96,and thy would have to out 3000 yards a season to reach Rice.They might not even reach Bruce's number,like Moss.Although,if Harrison plays another season,he shud get it.And playing in teh NFL, and putting up 1000 yards consistently for 14 to 15 years is an unbelievable achievement

Bruce 15th season
    Harrison 12th season
    Owens 12th season
    Moss 10th season

Harrison, Owens and Moss are still doing the job though. Old or not. Hence why they are elite. And I said pushing Jerry Rice and by pushing I mean high teen low 20's. No one will surpass Rice not in the next 5 or 6 years anyway. Moss has the best chance if Brady comes back and Moss stays.

Again emotional as always im off.

And playing in teh NFL, and putting up 1000 yards consistently for 14 to 15 years is an unbelievable achievement

Bruce went over 1000 yards in only 8 of his seasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Colts traded their 1st round draft. Mike Pollack was our first draft. Played at center in college, but we've one of the best in the league there. He'll be guard until Saturday leaves.
    I don't know much about him TBH, but he's been in the last 7 games (he was injured pre-season), basically since the offense stopped sucking. And apparently we did well to get him 50-somethingth, so given my limited knowledge of Guards and Tackles, yeah, I can't complain.

No Im also basing my opinion on his college career also. Where at VT he was in the schools top 5 in all purpose yards but that was down to his return ability and his speed.

RECEPTIONS YDS TOUCHDOWNS
    119 1,778 12

Hey we are all human here it is your right to disagree with my opinion and thats fair enough. Jay Cutler has one of the fastest and tightest spirals in the NFL right now and he has the ability to put the ball on the money. Lets not forget yes its a QBs job but look what happened Moss when he went to the Raiders. It always helps to have a QB that you can gaurantee on. And I never used any % so I dont know where you are pulling this from. WR need a good QB to throw them the ball, once they have that then it is up to them to make those all important catches.

What do you mean no one can predict?? Eh yes I can but that will be based on my own opinion. Are you a betting man titan? If so betting is based on you predicting so yes you can predict.

Yes so he fits into their system you contradicted yourself and made my point stronger. Look at the Patriots WR last year most of them made more catches than they have in 3 seasons in one season because of the Offense the Pats used. So yes a WR in a system based on passing the ball more when he makes alot catches does fit in well into their system.

stop saying its your opinion. you wrote the message so i know its your opinion, thats a given. Thats what boards is here for man...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so i get it! Stop getting offended just cos i wont agree with you.

im just saying its only 12 weeks into his career!!!! not exactly easy to predict how he is going to do over his career based on the first 12 weeks.

and how did i contradict myself???(i couldnt possibly make your point "strong"! hehe) ...your saying eddie fits into the broncos system? hes a WR and they pass the ball more than they run (thats not exactly a "system" for starters.

secondly, if you managed to crack their offensive "system", dont you think the defence could also crack it and cover eddie abit better, especially if he is only "half decent" like you said!?

the fact is...the defence that play broncos know they are struggling at running the ball and are bracketing marshall alot and dropping men back for royal and scheffler, but cutler, marshall, royal and scheffler are still getting it done...

the only thing il agree with you on, is that cutler is a class qb... but that doesnt take away from the performance of eddie royal this season. or else you could say that Moss' career revival last season was ONLY down to brady. the qb, the WR, pass protection etc, all play their part and they all deserve credit. im just saying, eddie also deserves credit.

GO EDDIE, GO EDDIE!

anyways, chill man.

It doesnt matter if he's statistically better then Moss et all, he has the benefit of being line up opposite teams 2nd best CB, Safety, LB, 3rd string CB etc etc. Until players like Royal, Welker etc go up against teams number 1 CB week in week out then you cant compare them to the TO's of this world.

Course you can compare any WR with any WR in the league, thats the fun of the nfl....and yeh it does matter what WRs do statistically!!! its not the only measuring stick obviously, but its a start!

im not saying royal is better than moss or TO, i just said, statistically, royal is having a good year and outperforming Moss and TO along with a few other high profile "number 1" wide receivers.

Anyways its very early days for Eddie and im a titans fan so as my earlier post read, chris johnson is the daddy....go titans.

Bruce went over 1000 yards in only 8 of his seasons

Ya,but u said, if u put up 1000 yards consistently for 14 or 15 years, you could be 3rd in all time receiving yards.He 3rd all time for a reason and that's because he's been the best around whilst he's played.You could say Harrison,Moss and TO arent still doing it as their stats for this year are terrible

Ya,but u said, if u put up 1000 yards consistently for 14 or 15 years, you could be 3rd in all time receiving yards.He 3rd all time for a reason and that's because he's been the best around whilst he's played.You could say Harrison,Moss and TO arent still doing it as their stats for this year are terrible

But all 3 have passed Bruce in Recieving yards. And what i meant if any player did that he would be up there. Sadly enough Bruce's record is old and he will be passed by many WR of this current generation. But this doesnt make them greats. It just means that the passing game has opened up more.

stop saying its your opinion. you wrote the message so i know its your opinion, thats a given. Thats what boards is here for man...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so i get it! Stop getting offended just cos i wont agree with you.

im just saying its only 12 weeks into his career!!!! not exactly easy to predict how he is going to do over his career based on the first 12 weeks.

and how did i contradict myself???(i couldnt possibly make your point "strong"! hehe) ...your saying eddie fits into the broncos system? hes a WR and they pass the ball more than they run (thats not exactly a "system" for starters.

secondly, if you managed to crack their offensive "system", dont you think the defence could also crack it and cover eddie abit better, especially if he is only "half decent" like you said!?

the fact is...the defence that play broncos know they are struggling at running the ball and are bracketing marshall alot and dropping men back for royal and scheffler, but cutler, marshall, royal and scheffler are still getting it done...

the only thing il agree with you on, is that cutler is a class qb... but that doesnt take away from the performance of eddie royal this season. or else you could say that Moss' career revival last season was ONLY down to brady. the qb, the WR, pass protection etc, all play their part and they all deserve credit. im just saying, eddie also deserves credit.

GO EDDIE, GO EDDIE!

anyways, chill man.

Whos getting offended? Seems you are getting hot and bothered about what I post back :D

And you are missing my point about the system and all that so Im not going to explain what I mean to you at all. But if you look at the Broncos right now Id say they have a Pass/Run ratio of 65/35 right now and this helps any WR especially with a QB of Cutlers calibre.

The Broncos have opted for this system it seems. More passing than running is a system my friend. And Defenses stopping the pass isnt so easy look at the Pats last year.

Look at the stats they dont lie the Broncos have opted to air the football:

Total YDS AVG Per game
    3. Denver Broncos 388.8

Total Passing YDS AVG Per Game
    3. Denver Broncos 279.9

So yes this does help any WR as it did for the Pats WR last year.

Whos getting offended? Seems you are getting hot and bothered about what I post back :D

And you are missing my point about the system and all that so Im not going to explain what I mean to you at all. But if you look at the Broncos right now Id say they have a Pass/Run ratio of 65/35 right now and this helps any WR especially with a QB of Cutlers calibre.

The Broncos have opted for this system it seems. More passing than running is a system my friend. And Defenses stopping the pass isnt so easy look at the Pats last year.

Look at the stats they dont lie the Broncos have opted to air the football:

Total YDS AVG Per game
    3. Denver Broncos 388.8

Total Passing YDS AVG Per Game
    3. Denver Broncos 279.9

So yes this does help any WR as it did for the Pats WR last year.

no im not missing your point. i get it, i know already how good broncos have been passing the ball this year. i just dont agree that cos broncos pass more than they run, that this takes away from how good a season eddie is having.

il use your example of the pats last season.....i agree, pats definitely passed the ball alot last season...so all their WRs must have benefitted from ths "passing system" last season? so who was in eddies position for the pats last year? fact is stallworth didnt get it done last season and did better the year before at eagles. now i dont like comparing royal and broncos to pats and stallworth but its just a counter example to yours.

and i agree that defences are struggling to stop the broncos passing game...but thats cos of the quality of their QB, oline and WRs (marshall and royal). insert stallworth into the number 2 position and i dont think he would be half as good as eddie is this year.

l use your example of the pats last season.....i agree, pats definitely passed the ball alot last season...so all their WRs must have benefitted from ths "passing system" last season? so who was in eddies position for the pats last year? fact is stallworth didnt get it done last season and did better the year before at eagles. now i dont like comparing royal and broncos to pats and stallworth but its just a counter example to yours.

Stallworth couldnt catch a cold thats why and had 694 yds and Gaffney made up for the other 450 yds that would have given stallworth over a 1000 yard season. But in saying that Moss and Welker had near 3000 yds between them and Ben Watson near 400. The point is when the QB throws so much off course its going to give WR larger numbers than the average NFL WR. Teams who play the pass more than the run in this case the Broncos will always put large numbers up hence why the Broncos are 3rd in the NFL right now for passing. You take Cutler out of that fold with the same style and playbook and stick an average QB in there and shazam Marshall and Royal wouldnt have the same numbers. Look at Cassell right now in the Patriots if he cant hit anyone deep and there in lies the problem for Moss he aint getting no action. Patriots running a similar system to last year but the only one benefiting is Welker. Will Royal consistently put up those numbers who knows lets hope he always has a strong offence to play on.

Stallworth couldnt catch a cold thats why and had 694 yds and Gaffney made up for the other 450 yds that would have given stallworth over a 1000 yard season. But in saying that Moss and Welker had near 3000 yds between them and Ben Watson near 400. The point is when the QB throws so much off course its going to give WR larger numbers than the average NFL WR. Teams who play the pass more than the run in this case the Broncos will always put large numbers up hence why the Broncos are 3rd in the NFL right now for passing. You take Cutler out of that fold with the same style and playbook and stick an average QB in there and shazam Marshall and Royal wouldnt have the same numbers. Look at Cassell right now in the Patriots if he cant hit anyone deep and there in lies the problem for Moss he aint getting no action. Patriots running a similar system to last year but the only one benefiting is Welker. Will Royal consistently put up those numbers who knows lets hope he always has a strong offence to play on.

ok we will agree to disagree! hehe you a pats fan??? big game tonight...bit like a playoff game for pats and fins! fins win...pats season could be over.

ok we will agree to disagree! hehe you a pats fan??? big game tonight...bit like a playoff game for pats and fins! fins win...pats season could be over.

Pats through and through yeah must win for both. We need your titans to bitch slap NY though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement