Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Armistice Day

• 12-11-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Before day is out , in honor of all the people who died in the WW1 R.I.P

Just watched a Documentary on the Irish who fought in WW1, and I know the Irish dont like the whole poppy thing but these people deserve the utmost respect.

That video maybe not your cup of tea but I think its a damn good song with great lyrics.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

R.I.P. Irish sons of 1914-1918. May you all rest In peace.

Go raibh mile maith agat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

+1, I hope it's a day that will continue to be marked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cheers Bill.

In some far off place, there are Irish sons who also never came home.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Wonder what Easter 2016 will be like here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bill wrote: »

That video maybe not your cup of tea but I think its a damn good song with great lyrics.

Not to go off topic

But I hate arseholes who think this is some kind of Irish rebel song.

Idiots.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Thanks Bill, that brought a tear to my eye. Spent the whole day (and the past 2 years!) finding out more and more about my great grandad, Sergeant Major C Wall of the Royal Horse Artillery and all of those who fought with him, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shane McGowan sings this beautifully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

/Salute.

Mans blind indifference to his fellow man.
    Never a truer word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Des wrote: »
    Not to go off topic

But I hate arseholes who think this is some kind of Irish rebel song.

Idiots.

:rolleyes:
    I know nothing about it being a Rebel song to be honest there Des, I was watching Liam Clancy bang it out in the documentary, I remembered my dad playing this years ago. Went well with the video.

Lemon wrote: »
    Thanks Bill, that brought a tear to my eye. Spent the whole day (and the past 2 years!) finding out more and more about my great grandad, Sergeant Major C Wall of the Royal Horse Artillery and all of those who fought with him, RIP.
    My Great Grandfather and his two brothers died fighting for the Netherlands in WW1. :(

• Advertisement

I dunno what this has been moved to Cool Videos and Pics, its not about the video.

Confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Bill wrote: »
    My Great Grandfather and his two brothers died fighting for the Netherlands in WW1. :(

I was at an RTE 1 Radio debate about WW1 the other night and the level of people talking with such sadness and respect and also pride about their relatives who had been a part of WW1 was quite inspiring. It may be 90 years ago but the knowledge of the sacrifice and the hardship our ancestors endured is not forgotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For those that may like a volunteer to take a photo of a relative's grave, there is The War Graves Photographic project where you can check if your relative's grave has already been recorded.

Alternatively, should someone like to help us in the task, contact can be made through the site as well.

"We shall remember them".

Advertisement