Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle Abbey Street to Busaras

Options
  • 12-11-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

im going to a concert in dublin soon its being held on middle abbey street and i need to get a bus home at 11pm. can anyone tell me how to get to bus aras? is it safe to walk or should i get a taxi? is there taxi ranks near the venue? sorry for so many questions,im a 17yr old girl from the countryside (lol) going alone and i dont know much about the city!!thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You'd walk it in less than 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

where is the concert on? walking down abbey street to bus aras would be ok at night, just dont stop if people ask you for smokes or money

alternitvely you could walk up to jervis luas stop and get the tram to bus aras

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You could get a LUAS, but you'd be quicker and safer, walking it at that hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

If you can time it right you could grab the Luas down if you're worried about walking. Abbey street isn't the nicest of areas after dark. I live in the city centre and I hate walking that street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lovepink_xo

how often does luas go? is the jervis area safe at that time? (it would probably be around 10.40-10.50pm)
    thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they run every few minutes, jervis stop is just left when you leave the academy

Chinafoot wrote: »
    If you can time it right you could grab the Luas down if you're worried about walking. Abbey street isn't the nicest of areas after dark. I live in the city centre and I hate walking that street.
    now im scared! lol well i will be leaving before the concert ends to catch my bus so there wont be a crowd of people i can follow or anythnig!!!

Walking on Abbey Street is OK - it's fairly mainstream. Just keep youself to yourself and look purposeful.

MiddleAbbeyStreet.jpg

Walking on Abbey Street is OK - it's fairly mainstream. Just keep youself to yourself and look purposeful.

thanks a million!! if i dont get the luas,what would be the safest way to walk back to bus aras? i went to a concert in the ambassador with friends a few months ago,we walked down to eden quay (i think..there was a lot of sketchy looking people around the bus stops at 11/12pm) and one group started shouting rude things at us.
    would it be ok to walk down lower abbey street? i dont think ive been down that way before. or would it be safe to walk back up a bit and go down talbot street then around by store street to bus aras?

thanks everyone for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Ok, I don't know how I would feel at 17 and from the countryside as I am more than double your age and used to cities and everybody is different anyway;). But basically as long as you look and behave self confidend you should be fine. Trust your instinct. And just ignore people around. I personally don't like to walk Talbot Street at night would prefer Abbey Street or Eden Quay (Liffey side to avoid the pubs and bus stop)

• Advertisement

Don't worry yourself about it. Abbey Street is a busy city centre street. It's not a dark back alley. And, it's probably preferable to Eden Quay or Talbot Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Abbey Street is a busy city centre street. It's not a dark back alley. And, it's probably preferable to Eden Quay or Talbot Street.

Good advice, totally agree. Steer clear of Talbot St.

All the same, I'd get the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Getting the Luas would involve walking in the opposite direction until you reach the Jervis stop though :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

how often does luas go? is the jervis area safe at that time? (it would probably be around 10.40-10.50pm)
    thanks!!

Unless it's Saturday night, it's every 18 minutes around then, so it'd be much quicker walking it.

I'd much quicker avoid Eden Quay and Liberty Hall in particular than Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've walked down Abbey St. at night many many times, never a problem, it's probably more hassle waiting for a Luas than walking straight down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

Yeah, I would just walk start down Abbey Street (see map that was posted). You can walk it in 5 minutes. There will be people around and it's quite safe. Just keep your head held high and be confident and you'll be fine. You'll be fine anyways but it's always good to look like you know what you're doing. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

at 11 abbey street will be fine to walk down, should be still pretty busy but not heaving with locked people. As everyone says just ignore anyone who says anything to you and keep walking. Very small chances that anyone would even look at you twice. As noted above I've done that walk thousands of times in the early hours and never had an issue, but male and from here. I'd actually prefer it to the luas, can't walk off on people when waiting at a luas stop or actually on the luas.

copacetic wrote: »
    I'd actually prefer it to the luas, can't walk off on people when waiting at a luas stop or actually on the luas.
    I totally agree. One is much more likely to meet nusiances on public transport than when walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭podger456

Worked on Lower Abbey St for 15 years. No problems at night, most of the problems here were during the day with the meth clinic. Mid Abbey St will be fairly busy at that time of night so safe enough, will be quiter when you cross to Lr Abbey st - mainly people heading to and from Bus Aras and the 41 bus stop. You should be ok, just hoof it, don't chat to anyone, and as with anywhere else in Dublin at night don't carry phones etc in your hand. Few safe havens on Lr Abbey St if you run into trouble; flowing tide pub will be on your left about 100 metres from the O'Connell st junction; another 100 metres on is the 41 bus stop to the airport/swords/santry, should be few people there at that hour, if no one there there's a bar in the Irish Life Centre (left after the National Lottery Building - in towards the car park). Bus Aras is probably dodgier than the walk there to be honest, so don't drop your guard just 'cos you made it there.

Good luck and don't worry. Who knows you might find someone to walk you there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Look at that picture again - turn right out of the academy and keep going straight! just so you know, your nearest garda station is store street, which is beside busaras so in the unlikely event that something does happen, stay on abbey street and run towards busaras (away from o connell street)

personally i'd walk it. that luas is genuinely dodgy.

• Advertisement

Folks - we're talking about Dublin here not Bagdad!

You're going to have this girl worried unnecessarily!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Folks - we're talking about Dublin here not Bagdad!

You're going to have this girl worried unnecessarily!

Exactly ^^^^ Abbey Street isnt a problem at all- very busy street in city centre- and at 11pm too- no bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just follow the LUAS tracks and they'll bring you along Abbey Street straight to Bus Aras.

You'll be grand. Just don't stop near any alleyways and remember - always look like you know where you're going.

Advertisement