Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nokia phones- GSM Arena

• 12-11-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Not 100% on the original source for this but GSMArena are usually pretty much on the ball.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_20082009_smartphone_roadmap_surfaces-news-670.php
    Nokia 2008-2009 smartphone roadmap surfaces
    11 Nov, 2008 | Comments (37) | Post your comment

Tags: Nokia, Symbian S60, Rumors

A dozen of Nokia smartphones leaked online with most of their major specifications, codenames and most importantly, their planned product announcement. Do not just get too excited though as there are no photos of the rumored devices so far. Still, there's some quite interesting pieces of specs information.

Before we go to details, we can sum up that Wi-Fi, built-in GPS and 5 MP autofocus camera will become common features for the planned Nokia smartphones. The large displays, FM radio and MP3 players will also be on.

There is one phone that stands out of the crowd. This is a device codenamed Corolla that will boast an 8 MP AF camera, 3-inch VGA 16M color TFT display, and a QW-ER-TY keyboard. GPS, Wi-Fi with UPnP, FM transmitter, HSDPA, 128MB RAM, and 8GB ROM are among the other features of the device, mentioned in the leak.

The other two monstrous devices are dubbed Ivalo and Eitri, featuring 3.5" touchscreen displays, 5 MP AF cameras and FM transmitters. The other ammo in the spec sheet of Ivalo includes 32GB ROM, aGPS, Wi-Fi, TV-out, and Bluetooth. Jumping over to Eitri, pay attention to the 8GB ROM, microSD, pressure sensitive touch UI with tactile feedback and gestures support plus accelerometer and a proximity sensor.

We won't be covering all phones in detail, so here's a table that summarizes the important stuff about Nokia soon-to-be smartphones.
    (snip)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

long_b wrote: »
    Not 100% on the original source for this but GSMArena are usually pretty much on the ball.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_20082009_smartphone_roadmap_surfaces-news-670.php

Nokia are really upping the ante in an increasingly competitive smartphone market- if those specs are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

GSMa are usually on the ball. nokia, since they bought out symbian, have really gone on the hunt, and appear to be attacking the iphone from a whole different perspective. they're aiming for features and functionality- not touch screen or thickness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I mentioned the actual roadmap details, described in GSMArena's article, yesterday here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Corolla sounds pretty nice. Not that bothered whether my phone has a 3MP or 8MP though. Specs for most of those phones sound pretty good but can't really judge them until I see a few pics. I like the inclusion of a TV-out aswell. Let's just wait and see what comes of this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I like the inclusion of a TV-out aswell. Let's just wait and see what comes of this..

Nokia have TV-out on alot of their newer Nseries phones, since at least the N95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Am I the only one thoroughly underwhelmed? I mean considering the n95 is years old now and already has most of the mentioned features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Am I the only one thoroughly underwhelmed? I mean considering the n95 is years old now and already has most of the mentioned features.

No, you're not the only one. Nokia have seriously dragged their heels when it comes to top-tier handsets. They released the N95, realised it had issues, and released the N95 8GB. Now they have an incremental upgrade in the N96 and a music orientated touch-screen handset with the 5800, which is too little, too late.

To be honest, I think they've dropped the ball, but knowing Nokia, they'll pick it up and hit it out of the park next year.

*I'm aware the above post is laced with idioms, so apologies :P *

Advertisement