Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve wireless router strenght

Options
  • 12-11-2008 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi to all.

Can anyone suggest a homemade easy fix to improving the range of my wireless router? I'm thinking coat hangers or tin foil applications here... I understand TV antennas operate differently and therefore can't be used. & I've seen suggestions of homemade 'can'tennas... which look fun.. and tinfoil disks, with complicated map type diagrams, which seems unnessesary... but what do I know?

As a total beginner with no knowledge whatsoever as to what I'm letting myself in for... I would need any ideas to be spelt out in (dare I say it) 'blonde' proof detail. So any web address ideas would be appreciated.

Most areas in my house are edequately covered by the current location of the router with the exception of one room. Relocation isn't an option.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

I had the same problem.

After trying anumber of wireless solutions I decided to run a cable.
    Best connection in the house now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Use a pringles tube or two, to make a pringles cantenna (geddit :D)

http://www.scouk.net/projects/pringlenet-wireless-lan-extended-range/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The problem with cantennas etc. is that they are directional antennas, i.e. for point-to-point links. You apparently want to increase range around your house, so these would be no use to you. You can get a larger omnidirectional antenna for your router (if it has a standard RP-SMA connector, otherwise you're out of luck regarding any upgrades unless you buy a different router) or relocate your router. Alternately you can buy another wireless access point and use it as a repeater (they usually have a repeater mode).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

If you really know what your doing, no seriously, and using firefox

type [HTML]about:config[/HTML] in address bar and tweak the http.pipelining on your network and proxy settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

So sorry guys... just realised I actually got responses to this question!!!! I'm learning I don't actually get email notifications of responses until I actually post a response myself... And NO.... I won't be messing with the config settings. :-)

But thanks...

This is a job I've left on the long finger... Am going doing a TV cabling set up upgrade (crawlling around the attic... can't wait) soon. Might consider relocating or cabling the broadband at the same time. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement