Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding long-weekends on the cheap .. is it possible?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'd like to take a few 3-day trips off boarding either in Jan/Feb.

Want to keep it as cheap as possible since I'd like to go maybe every second weekend ... so circa 300-350 incl. flights, hostel, buses,
    tickets etc.

I'd be carrying my own gear as hand-luggage (except for the board which I would rent when I arrive).

I break it down roughly as follows...

- Cheap ryanair flight: about 80 euro (incl tax)

- Bus transfer to hostel and back (about 20 euro)

- Renting board .. about 15 euro per day ... so 45 euro in total.

- Hostel (about 20 euro per night .. so 60 euro in total)

- Food which I can prepare myself in the hostel (about 30 euro in total)

and then extras ...like beers, other transfers etc ... which will probably bring it up to 300-350 euro give or take.

Reckon this is do-able? Maybe Scotland or Latvia? What about Andorra?

Cheers,
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

its possible, but difficult, esp finding somewhere you can stay for 3 days.

The bus transfer would be more than e20 aswell.

I hear a lot of people do weekenders in oslo, you can get their cheap, the slopes are local and their are lots of hostels.... just an idea...

Scotland is so unpredictabe, 50% of the time there is no snow or it is too windy to open the lifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stimpy77

hmmm Oslo ... interesting ... although I'd say I'd probably reach my 350 euro limit pretty quickly there :D

Anyone here been to Oslo, and got info on how much rentals are, or the best time to go etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Possibly - try some of these cube hotels, really cheap and if there are a few of you going prob cheaper to rent a car if you're going for a long weekend. They do two & three night specials incl ski pass & half board. For example - 2 nights + ski pass & half board from €173 in a 4 person room.

http://www.cube-hotels.at/?L=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't think Andorra would be an option for a weekend as the transfers would take up too much of your time, unless you hire a private plane or something and go straight to one the the mini resort airports, or heilpads. That would probably take you over budget though.

Oslo sounds good as the mountains are near by and I think looking for somewhere like that should be your main criteria as although you want to do things cheaply, for a weekend trip your biggest cost is actually how much time you spend traveling compared to on the mountain. The expensive alcohol prices in Scandinavia would be a minor detail compared to travelling times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've done something similar a few times, flying cheap flight to Paris, overnight train to Bourg St Maurice in Alps, ski all day in Les Arcs, cheap hotel that night in Seez, ski all next day, train back to Paris. Depending on flight, it usually comes in around that sort of price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

As long as Aer Lingus don't go on strike, and that is a lot of hoping, I'm plan to get 2 lond weekends in before the end of the year. Have flights booked to Geneva for €60 incl taxes and charges (checked bags extra). Have 4 of us for first of these trips and car rental will be about €60 a head incl snow tyres, chains and fuel for 4 days rental. Currently looking at Zermatt as it has loads of snow and more falling at the moment. It is a 3 hour drive. Accommodation at end of Nov is really cheap, can get 4 bed apt for about €140 for 4 nights. I think ski pass is about €30 a day in early eason. That's €350. Will have to ad on equipment hire, either skis or snowboarding gear I guess.

Advertisement