Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 youlickmagee

They have already tried the Trencher,,, Here are the results... They should have listened to the locals !!!!!!!

bog.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Just got an email from the nra this morning:

Here you go!

Progress on the scheme is behind schedule. A 7km section of the scheme upgrading the Nenagh BP to Motorway and a new Interchange on the Nenagh-Thurles road opened on Dec 17th last. It is anticipated the whole of the works will be complete in late Mar 2010 with the possibility that parts of the works most notably the Nenagh to Birdhill section (approx 15.5 km) may be completed by late Jan 2010.
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

malcox wrote: »
    Just got an email from the nra this morning:

Here you go!
    Progress on the scheme is behind schedule. A 7km section of the scheme upgrading the Nenagh BP to Motorway and a new Interchange on the Nenagh-Thurles road opened on Dec 17th last. It is anticipated the whole of the works will be complete in late Mar 2010 with the possibility that parts of the works most notably the Nenagh to Birdhill section (approx 15.5 km) may be completed by late Jan 2010.
    Thank you

The bog of doom finished by the end of March?

Ya ill believe it when i see it. Thats what the nra said anyway where did you see that pic sponge bob its FXXXX massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

where did you see that pic sponge bob its FXXXX massive
    See posts #552 and #554 of this very thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

" Bagger 288 " is the name

2.jpg

It was bored and is really interested in doing a bit of bog for the crack. It will be landing in Foynes on Monday morning for the schtart !!!!

301323685_b8770caa20_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

^
    |
    |
    THAT, right there, is TEH AWESOME!
    :eek::eek::eek:

It's a long time since I actually laughed out loud at something on the Interwebs; thanks for posting it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Cheers for the video Stark that was unbelievably funny. :D

Edit: Just after seeing Birdhill to Nenagh is open in weeks from the post above, must find the charger for my camera!

and Bernard McNamara who owns 40% of the consortium building this road has just been on Drivetime admitting that he 'lost the run' of what he was doing after being told to come up with €60m cash for some people who invested in him. Let's hope he still has the spondulicks to open as far as Birdhill from Nenagh.

As for the bog of doom, it will be done when it is done and no sooner. :(

• Advertisement

great video nice to see a good laugh on this thread:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I'm not overly familiar with the situation in the "bog of doom" but I was told years ago by an architect about some countries that used polystyrene blocks to create a floating foundation for roads being built in boggy or marshy areas.

Has that been used here?

a quick google turned this as an example;

http://www.marinij.com/ci_6151642

found this too, it seems this method has been used since 1972;

http://www.geosyscorp.com/noframes/documents/BASF/BASF_800.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

i heard that old tyres have being used for old bog roads.sounds a bit off the wall but i suppose could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

biffoman wrote: »
    i heard that old tyres have being used for old bog roads.sounds a bit off the wall but i suppose could work.

Now, I have no idea where exactly this rubber was put but this may answer your query.

PICT0690.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

So whats the story the amount of rumours are getting me fed up.

The Nenagh Birdhill section will open the end of this month, confirmed?
    The latter half will open in march, confirmed?
    The entire scheme will open in october, confirmed?

How would a 1000metre section of Bog take nearly a year to finish at this stage?

Oh to answer Spongebob idiotic question. It is unacceptable. Considering these were meant to be finished by 2006 and then the new deadline was pushed to 2010. This was delayed 2 years and was meant to then start in 2005. it got pushed to 2006, and now 2010, its still going on. I'm sick of it.

I'm shocked it has gotten little media attention. This road is one of the busiest stretches in the country and also most dangerous (despite been a good S2 road)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mysterious wrote: »
    I'm shocked it has gotten little media attention. This road is one of the busiest stretches in the country and also most dangerous (despite been a good S2 road)
    There are actually bigger things going on in the country right now, over and above a slightly delayed road. Anyway, you yourself state the old road is "good" so perhaps the local drivers are the problem. What is the AADT here? I doubt this figure supports your "one of the busiest stretches in the country" assertion tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

mysterious wrote: »
    Oh to answer Spongebob idiotic question.

Was that necessary?

I like you, I don't want to start handing out infractions, but this needless aggressiveness is getting a little too much at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphaph:

It is good as a regional road - not a busy national one. Although obviously driver behaviour is an issue in accidents, a lot of them nevertheless wouldn't happen but for the traffic volume on what isn't even really WS2, and with some poor junctions and sightlines (these are more of an issue with such solid traffic and artics etc.). It's standard 1990s national road accident fare: collisions from overtaking, bends and junctions, and of course people just trying to cross the road in villages where the main street is the main Limerick-Dublin road. With reduced traffic volumes, these should be very infrequent without any further improvement to the route. They are the kind of accidents that have been vastly reduced on pretty much all the routes bypassed by motorway, hence the drop in road deaths last year. Grade separation, limited access, two carriageways, and two lanes are the important factors.

However, as such a major commuter route and strategic link in the national road network, it is costing us economically too to have the delay in opening this road.

I'm sure "one of the busiest stretches in the country" is an exaggeration, but it almost certainly counts as a "busy" section, and if you look at the Road Needs Study 1998 that Furet posted - it is highlighted as "backlog" in terms of needing attention.

Once the rest of the motorway is built the Birdhill - Castleconnell N7 stretch can be derated to 80kph max along its length if the bog of doom remains undefeated in 2010 ....as is now likely in my opinion.

Consider it a 2010 priority over in NAMA HQ Mysterious , mmmm'Kay!!

The missing link is only 5 miles long after all and most of that new road has been built and is OK.

Were the bog of doom in New Inn on the M6 there would have been serious grief because it would be such a long journey around the problem.

This is but a short detour lasting less than 10 minutes even in traffic. Hardly seismic on the scale of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Much the same story in this weeks Nenagh Guardian as the irish Independent during the week of when the entire M7 limerick to Nenagh will open.It's on page 3 of online version of paper.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A lot of the Nenagh Guardian's story was just taken from this news report

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bottomless-bog-delays-road-plan-2008184.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Berty wrote: »
    A lot of the Nenagh Guardian's story was just taken from this news report

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bottomless-bog-delays-road-plan-2008184.html

And you can't trust the clock on Barry Duggans hand. Most of his stories on Munster rugby are lifted from Munsterfans.com, I doubt this is any different.

Is the road opening end of January except for the bog of doom, can anybody confirm?

I emailed them monday and got a response that nenagh birdhill was opening the end of january, and the rest in march-april.

I emailed them monday and got a response that nenagh birdhill was opening the end of january, and the rest in march-april.

Cheers will be taking pics before road opening hopefully on the birdhill to Nenagh section. I still think this section may not open this month looking at the southern tie in of the Nenagh bypass some work still in in maybe another month.

I emailed the NRA for the exact date but I got this:
    Mr ****,

It is anticipated that the contractor will open to Bird Hill end of Jan to early Feb. We have received no firm proposal with regards to a date and the weather has contributed to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Will be fantastic if they can even manage this much! How much of a time saving on a Friday or Sunday nite do people estimate this will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niallqs

im doing a dissertation on the new gccc contracts. if anyone has come across any useful articles on this project and how the problem is being resolved i would appreciate if they could send me the link. regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Check out page 17 of the online addition of the nenagh guardian this week, part of the new road not near the bottomless bog has fallen away. Picture of same on front cover.This does not look good.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Thanks for sharing. That's some pretty serious damage. Would an underground spring cause this damage? There was obviously some considerable pressure involved. The contractors must be pretty tired of the string of bad fortune they've had at this stage, not to mention the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a chance that rather than the buckling being down to the "bottomless bog" being deeper than anyone ever expected it is, in fact, down to sheer and utter incompetence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement