Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Back to the opening dates .... Limerick-Birdhill supposed to be opening end of Jan. That's in a few days now... Anyone got an exact day?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

spacetweek wrote: »
    Back to the opening dates .... Limerick-Birdhill supposed to be opening end of Jan. That's in a few days now... Anyone got an exact day?

That's what the NRA told me in December, but with the cold weather it has to delayed.

From driving the Nenagh bypass last night, it'll be another couple of weeks I'd say, the west side of the Nenagh bypass section is no where near ready, still needs to be surfaced on both sides, middle barrier installed, cats eyes and painted. From what I can tell when drive it, this is at least 1km in distance.

Also from the photos posted last week, some parts between Nenagh and Birdhill still need to be painted. Hopefully it will be open in Feb sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Its probably going to take another 2-3 weeks.

95% of that section has it's final wearing course down and most of it lined and studded. As lukejr said theres a couple hundred metres to be sorted out on the southern section of the Nenagh bypass with the rest of the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The railway overbridge at the Limerick end of the Nenagh Bypass is still ongoing and looks like it will continue for a few more weeks as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

nra told me after xmas that it would be end of jan but realistically i would be thinkin feburary at least and as for the rest i would say we can forget about for a while a look forward to the tunnel in may.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

lukejr wrote: »
    From driving the Nenagh bypass last night, it'll be another couple of weeks I'd say, the west side of the Nenagh bypass section is no where near ready, still needs to be surfaced on both sides, middle barrier installed, cats eyes and painted. From what I can tell when drive it, this is at least 1km in distance.
    Really? Even though it officially opened back in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Is it true that there's going to be two tolls on the M7 once it's finished? If so, I assume there'll be one between Limerick and Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The second toll is going to be on the Limerick tunnel. You'll only pay one toll if travelling from Dublin to Limerick.

M7 Nenagh-Limerick 0 tolls
    M7 Nenagh-Castletown 0 tolls
    M7/M8 Portlaoise-Castletown/Cullahill 1 toll
    N7 Limerick SRR Phase II Tunnel 1 toll

Basically 1 toll on the M7

quacker79 please stop trolling, you have been banned off other forums before for this. You will be banned off the Infrastructure forum if you continue trolling.

• Advertisement

Really? Even though it officially opened back in December?

The bypass was open for most of it before Xmas, but the N52 bridge over the tie-in wasn't complete (west of section), traffic is merged onto the southern slip road, not ideal.

I drove it again this weekend, the tie section unfinished is about 1km that needs to be resurfaced. Hopefully it'll be done by the end of February, must email the NRA for a revised opening date to Birdhill.

I'm after finding a classic quote from the taoiseach back then in 2007 Bertie Ahern, on the Nenagh to Limerick project.
    Taoiseach: Some of the main infrastructural roads, such as the Limerick to Nenagh route, are well ahead of schedule.

It on page five of this debate.

He could have probably mentioned any other project but ended up saying the one which is at least a year behind schedule. :D There is some really childish replies on the debate as well, do politicians collect a few stamps to become a TD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tech2 wrote: »
    I'm after finding a classic quote from the taoiseach back then in 1997 Bertie Ahern, on the Nenagh to Limerick project.

That was 2007 not 1997 and it should have been built by end 2006 as he well knew. If it is finished in 2010 I will be amazed.

Any chance of a few pics of the collapse out in the Mire of Gloom ?????

Piece in the Limerick Independent today on page 4.
    http://www.limerickindependent.com/local-news/local-news/%91sinking-feeling%92-on-n7-route%85/

March/April, hopefully it'll be open before the tunnel.

Correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt you imagine if the bog was the big problem that all the other works such as railway bridges and getting the tie in would be completed and ready??????

malcox wrote: »
    Correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt you imagine if the bog was the big problem that all the other works such as railway bridges and getting the tie in would be completed and ready??????

This is what is so annoying about this scheme. They are blaming the bog for the hold up, yet ignore the fact that the entire section was due to open in May 2009, if the bog was the only problem the rest of the scheme should have opened at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

lukejr wrote: »
    This is what is so annoying about this scheme. They are blaming the bog for the hold up, yet ignore the fact that the entire section was due to open in May 2009, if the bog was the only problem the rest of the scheme should have opened at that time.

This is why I've said, the government has found something more valuble than this road:p.

They could of opened this years ago. The road only goes through about 3 miles of bog.

Ancient civilizations can be very preserved under bogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mysterious wrote: »
    This is why I've said, the government has found something more valuble than this road:p..

Like a Stargate accoring to a reputable poster in this forum :D

I think the article was referring to the whole scheme to be completed by April. If they got down and did some work the Nenagh to Birdhill section would be open in a week. But I'd give them a month to do it purely based on the pace of construction.

Seriously pathetic pace compared to Wills on the Gort-Crusheen scheme. A year down and all bar 1 overbridges are completed just a couple need embankment and realignment. CBM down and I'd hazard a guess that it could even be finished even before June given anything is not impossible with them so far.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Any chance of a few pics of the collapse out in the Mire of Gloom ?????

I'd say Sunday would be the only day you could go and a decent look at it, otherwise youll have a bunch of disgruntled workers staring at you. They must be well sick of working on this part of road as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

tech2 wrote: »
    They must be well sick of working on this part of road as well.

That depend's on the heirarchy of worker. The everyday worker won't care less how long the job takes. The foreman could go either way. It's the engineers and above who have to worry about deadline's.

Remember when this job is over, its OVER for most of them so just bare that in mind.

mysterious wrote: »
    This is why I've said, the government has found something more valuble than this road:p.

Ancient civilizations can be very preserved under bogs.
    Why don't you go tell Dan Brown about your discovery?

Why don't you go tell Dan Brown about your discovery?

Because rather like the Nenagh Guardian stealing stories from the major newspaper and boards.ie comments Dan Brown is no better.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In April 2006, Brown won a copyright infringement case brought by authors Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, who claimed that Brown stole ideas from their 1982 pseudohistory book Holy Blood Holy Grail for his 2003 novel The Da Vinci Code.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

more on the Limerick leader about this road scheme.Problems with paying the workers.It states towards the end the the opening will be April /May this year.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/MEP-demands-local-authority-probes.6040547.jp

clon wrote: »
    more on the Limerick leader about this road scheme.Problems with paying the workers.It states towards the end the the opening will be April /May this year.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/MEP-demands-local-authority-probes.6040547.jp

Oh No! Siptu were mentioned. :mad:

Kelly also said he forsees problems in the future with the road also:rolleyes::rolleyes:..

I suppose that part of the m7 will be a daddy road to the road from borrisakane to athlone!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Feb 18th is the date for opening the Birdhill to Nenagh section and April for the rest.See todays nenagh guardian for more.Fingers crossed all goes to plan

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

clon wrote: »
    Feb 18th is the date for opening the Birdhill to Nenagh section and April for the rest.

Great news, look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Good news. The Nenagh Guardian article also says that 'Some €1.2 million is to be spent on the long stretch of narrow winding road at Congar on the N52 between Nenagh and Borrisokane - the scene of numerous accidents over the years.'

It's good to see such an important route upgraded but if it's been 'the scene of numerous accidents over the years' then why wasn't it upgraded years ago.

€1.2 million isn't a lot of money, and wasn't even 10 or 20 years ago.

• Advertisement

RE: M7

Feb the 18th. They will need to actually get around to putting the road markings down as they have many many KM's to do.

There are a lot of sections needing finishing off which can be the slowest part, moving around unskilled labourers.

I will give them that at least the signage is up, however, all the old dears driving onto the M7 Northbound at the Nenagh Flyover is comical.

RE: N52

I drove the minefield that is the N52 today up and down to Athlone and was SHOCKED at the level of degradation the road surface has become. The OCC and TNCC were out shovelling the wrong type of incorrect temperature aggregate / bitumen into the holes which simply grabbed onto my tyres and paintwork to be deposited further up the road.

Some sections of the road really need to be torn up and started again from scratch. Oddly enough the bog section was the smoothest, go figure. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement