Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

There was work done on it today, lots of tyre tracks, gravel and the concrete barriers were moved up a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Jumpy wrote: »
    There was work done on it today, lots of tyre tracks, gravel and the concrete barriers were moved up a bit I think.

Good to know they are working on it. I might get down to it one the evenings within the next week for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

spacetweek wrote: »
    Jesus guys, did Ireland re-adopt the imperial measurements while I was away??

My speedo still reads miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

slinky2000 wrote: »
    My speedo still reads miles!

Speed is never measured in miles.....
    Neither is velocity....

Maybe your old odometer is what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Agree 100%, Kilometres please!

The Metric system is the tool of the devil.

Its miles. Allways has been and allways will be......

(unless of course you are talkign about small dimensions then of course it is metric. Anything up to 100mm use metric anything over that inches, feet, yards and miles thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

knipex wrote: »
    The Metric system is the tool of the devil.

Its miles. Allways has been and allways will be......

Until such point as your generation dies out, thats all.

I've no ability to visualise what an "inch" or a "pound" or a "mile" is. I was only legally able to drive for one year of mph speed limits. I've NEVER been able to remember the scaling factors between pounds and stones, between yards and miles, etc, etc.

Imperial's dead, except in the minds of the over 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Abe Simpson: The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

It should all be done in metric, the company I work for measures buildings in Sq.m and land in acres.

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

actually, in ireland, the use of the imperial and metric systems within the social consciousness is very interesting.
    the "mixed" use is unbelieveable.

e.g., i notice that rte, when showing football, hurling & rugby games, will show players heights in metric but weights in imperial.

crazy stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Metrics and miles = waay off topic. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I drove the newly opened section from Northbound from Birdhill (J27) to Nenagh (J26) yesterday, from the roundabout in Birdhill to the interchange roundabout is 1.3miles or 2.09kms and it is not long nor has it a long feel to it. The road is very nice and well done, once I got past some traffic I settled in at about 165km/h and before I knew where I was I was up to my exit, a real timesaver and well worth driving instead of the old N7, however if you are going to putter along at 80km/h the old N7 is a better bet.

One thing I noticed about the road was there was seriously high amount of roadkill on it from dead rabbits, foxes, badgers etc. I think the local critters are getting annihilated as they are not used to the motorway and the central concrete divider makes them lambs to the slaughter. I wonder was there any wildlife pipes or tunnels provided? These motorways make for massive barriers across the landscape and must have an adverse effect on wildlife from roadkill to reducing genetic diversity by isolating populations on either side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Furet wrote: »
    Metrics and miles = waay off topic. ;)

Even worse, speedos are in Statute Miles not in Irish Miles which were abolished by the dastardly Brit in the 19th Century.

The Dastardly Brit never abolished the Irish Acre which is about half way between the Hectare and the Statute Acre in size and there is even a Nordie measure called the Cunningham Acre. People ( like Spacetweek) who rabbit on about Acres should qualify 'what' acre they mean.

As a Cunningham is unique only to parts of Ulster ( with the odd eruption in the colonies) I now propose to import it down south in the spirit of cooperation etc etc and will henceforth dimension all my land take figures in Cunninghams.

I hereby undertake not use the word Acre from now on, only Cunningham

Rather than whine at me I suggest you simply bookmark this post as a handy reference instead.

Here is how it works.

1 x Cunningham = 1.3 Statute
    1 x Cunningham = 0.52 Hectare
    1 x Hectare = 1.91 Cunningham ....NB Most Important.

Precise Calculations. ( and source)

http://www.osi.ie/en/faq/faq3.aspx#faq6

Conversion Table
    1 Acre Statute = 0.617347 Irish
    1 Acre Irish = 1.619835 Statute
    1 Acre Statute = 0.7744 Cunningham
    1 Acre Cunningham = 1.291322 Statute
    1 Acre Statute = 0.405 Hectares
    1 Hectare = 2.471058 Acres
    Feet to Meters multiply by 0.304800749
    SQ. Yards to SQ. Meters multiply by 0.836127
    SQ. Meters to SQ. Yards multiply by 1.195991
    Acres to Hectares multiply by 0.40469
    Hectares to Acres multiply by 2.47105
    SQ. Miles to SQ. Kilometers multiply by 2.59
    SQ. Kilometers to SQ. Miles multiply by 0.3861
    Meters to Yards multiply by 1.094
    Yards to Meters multiply by 0.9144

1 yard is Equal to 0.9144 Meters.
    1 SQ. Yard is Equal to 0.836127 SQ. Meters.
    1 Acre is Equal to 4840 SQ Yards.
    1 Acre is Equal to 4046.85468 SQ. Yards.
    1 SQ. Mile is Equal to 2.589 SQ. Kilometers.
    1 SQ. Mile is Equal to 640 Statute Acres.
    1 SQ. Mile is Equal to 3,097,600 SQ. Yards.
    1 Nautical Mile is Equal to 6076.155 FT.
    1 Irish Mile is Equal to 2240 Yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks for that SB, but back to the M7 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

There are wildlife tunnels at several locations where there were existing tracks or badger setts. There are also high level shelves through all the big culverts for wildlife to keep their feet dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The reason that it is more noticable now is down to the fact the little critters have been/are putting on the Barry White and spalshing themselves with Old Spice to get it on with the other sex, or the same sex if they are that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

101sean wrote: »
    There are wildlife tunnels at several locations where there were existing tracks or badger setts. There are also high level shelves through all the big culverts for wildlife to keep their feet dry.

They have been building those for years. They are called Culverts and are a pain in the as*s to build. It's always funny to think that the little animals will actually use the culvert and the shelf so they can keep their paws dry.

Seriously WTF! I see more flat animals on the motorways as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

While I was there, it was realised 3 or 4 wildlife crossings had been missed between the Kilmastulla and Silvermines Road. Sub contractor had to dig out about 5m of consolidated fill at the deepest one to lay it! The crossings are concrete drainage pipes, can't remember whether they were 450 or 600 diameter.

Don't even mention the feckin culverts, gave me some grey hairs before I left :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I agree woith the poster who commented on the level of roadkill on the new section of M7. I drove it at the weekend and it was pretty shocking. I presume the contractors built animal crossings/underpasses?

I've never see so much roadkill in such a short section of road than on the Nenagh to Birdhill M7 stretch.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Remember being on the N7 a few years back somewhere in north tipp one morning about 5 am and on a short enough stretch we hit at least two crows and drove over a rabbit too. No it wasn't some kind of deliberate attempt - in fact it was most unpleasant, particularly the rabbit going under/around the wheel.

The crows were probably "attending" to previous roadkill.

Took a gps out on it yesterday. Its approx 12km exit to exit for the unopened section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Upload it to OSM now :D

• Advertisement

and mind the gap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

could you "x marks the spot" of the catastrophe...
    please & thanks...

Instead of a continous 12km GPS trace you put in a 6.7km trace and then a 5km trace and leave the 300m blank until there is a road there....basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Anyone surprised by the gradient of parts of the Birdhill - Nenagh section of the M7?

I've had to tow a car on a trailer on it and it didn't win me over.

Now it's obviously within motorway standards (I assume) but it is the lasting impression it left me with.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Instead of a continous 12km GPS trace you put in a 6.7km trace and then a 5km trace and leave the 300m blank until there is a road there....basically.

There is a road there. There is just a big hole in it.

There is a road there. There is just a big hole in it.

Is there a road around the hole there Jumpy ...or just a hole that is not a road...strictly speaking :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is there a road around the hole there Jumpy ...or just a hole that is not a road...strictly speaking :D

Best way of describing it is a 4 metre wide pothole. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Best way of describing it is a 4 metre wide pothole. :D

Anyone working on or near it? Any changes to it in the last few weeks does anyone know? Id love to know what the contractors are focusing on at the moment.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone working on or near it? Any changes to it in the last few weeks does anyone know? Id love to know what the contractors are focusing on at the moment.

No changes by the look of it except for the concrete barriers being moved every day.

Someone is definitely there every day, I just dont know what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Collecting their wages most probably .. doesn't seem to be much else going on !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement