Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

sillyboy wrote: »
    I drive it every day and there are no tailbacks in either direction. I don't believe anything I read from that source in relation to this. They will print anything to fill those column inches, justifying it by stating it is from an "informed source" that in the end always turns out to be mis-informed.

It's a fair point. The Garjin (as the locals say) has been fairly hit and miss on this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

mossym wrote: »
    either that or roadblocks to stop the limerick folk coming out every time the sun goes out.

:rolleyes:

Tut,,,tut....!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

dergside wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Tut,,,tut....!

Just a joke about the numbers that come out when the weather is good. Too many cars= jammed up town. On a warm Sunday has taken me an hour to get last mile through town to my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I drive it every day and there are no tailbacks in either direction. I don't believe anything I read from that source in relation to this. They will print anything to fill those column inches, justifying it by stating it is from an "informed source" that in the end always turns out to be mis-informed.

It just stated since the opening tailbacks lengthen it didnt say there were holdups in Birdhill. I think the point it made was that so much traffic has to slow down so queses are longer.

agreed, grew up on the killaloe side, now living on the ballina side, and a town bypass is well needed. the proposed bypass will run along the edge of my parents house/land so they're not overly pleased about it but it is needed.

either that or roadblocks to stop the limerick folk coming out every time the sun goes out. on a warm sunday it's almost pointless leaving the house between 2 and 8pm

it's long been the path from the n7 to people hitting from dublin to east clare, so as you said the bypass is needed

I understand, but its not like its a motorway or anything. It will be for local traffic. You could minimise it's impact by planting trees or something. The bridge will look fantastic though. That part of the shannon is just majestic. Almost a valley in itself.

How deep is the river there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

Just a joke about the numbers that come out when the weather is good. Too many cars= jammed up town. On a warm Sunday has taken me an hour to get last mile through town to my house

Rolling eyes were a little bit tongue in cheek. I live in the vicinity and have first hand experience of it too!

dergside wrote: »
    Rolling eyes were a little bit tongue in cheek. I live in the vicinity and have first hand experience of it too!

I guessed from the name. I was just making sure no-one thought i was saying anything bad about Limerick, just the numbers:)

I guessed from the name. I was just making sure no-one thought i was saying anything bad about Limerick, just the numbers:)

But the area is really beautiful. Killaloe and Ballna has always had a charm to it. The Lakeside is a fantastic hotel also. it's great craic there when Clare and Tipp are playing in the hurling, the Shannon isn't enough to divide ye:D

It will be good news to see this bypass going ahead. It is needed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillyboy

mysterious wrote: »
    It just stated since the opening tailbacks lengthen it didnt say there were holdups in Birdhill. I think the point it made was that so much traffic has to slow down so queses are longer.

But there are no tailbacks in Birdhill, unless you call 6 cars at a rounabout a tailback...and it has been like that since the roundabout was first put in place...nothing to do with the access point to the motorway. It's just inaccurate and unsubstantiated reporting on something which would be easily verifiable.

On a separate note, I have been randomly driving the old road to check on timing versus the motorway over the last few weeks and conclusion for me is that at best the old road will get you from Nenagh to Birdhill or vice versa in the same time but it is generally a couple of minutes longer. I beat a bus (by about 15 seconds) this morning while doing 90kph (which is a decent pace considering the type of traffic and lack of overtaking spots) on the old road but all the cars that were around the bus at the start were well gone.

But there are no tailbacks in Birdhill, unless you call 6 cars at a rounabout a tailback...and it has been like that since the roundabout was first put in place...nothing to do with the access point to the motorway. It's just inaccurate and unsubstantiated reporting on something which would be easily verifiable.

agreed, i come around that roundabout every morning and evening, the only time there has been a tailback at that junction was back before the roundabout was put in, and it was still a t junction, there used be a pretty decent tailback on the ballina road with cars waiting to get out onto the N7. since the roundabout has been put there hasn't been a tailback, maybe a few the first week the roundabout was opened as people didn't know it was there, but nothing since

• Advertisement

Any change at 'ground zero' yet? I was hoping someone might have got out for a look over the long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any change at 'ground zero' yet? I was hoping someone might have got out for a look over the long weekend!

Is any progress being done on the road, between Birdhill and Limerick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭phog

I heard today that the issue near the bog is resolved and the road would be opening in about 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

phog wrote: »
    I heard today that the issue near the bog is resolved and the road would be opening in about 3 weeks.

Great news! :)

Hope the problem doesn't rear its ugly head again in the future!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

phog wrote: »

Methinks that what you heard is a bit of shenanigans. Three weeks time would be around the same date as the M7/M8. From what I have heard it will be late summer before it will open but then again that is what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was said towards the end of April that it would be open in about 3 months. Sounds more plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

This weekend I will get down to have a look at the bog section in question. Will update on Sat/Sun depending on day I go for a walk.

It's been over a month since I was there so will be interesting to see progress.

lukejr wrote: »
    This weekend I will get down to have a look at the bog section in question. Will update on Sat/Sun depending on day I go for a walk.

It's been over a month since I was there so will be interesting to see progress.

Fair play to you Luke, I look forward to your findings. It will tell us alot i expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Fair play to you Luke, I look forward to your findings. It will tell us alot i expect.

Dont expect to see much - Ive had a look at it 3 times in the last 4 weeks and nothing has changed. They sank some extra piles awhile back and photos were posted on here at the time. Thats all thats happened.I drove by on the bog road last night and the same 6 or 7 piles are sticking up out of the ground as usual!... also there is very little activity on this stretch of the M7 - everything is finished more or less bar this 600m section.

gryff wrote: »
    Dont expect to see much - Ive had a look at it 3 times in the last 4 weeks and nothing has changed. They sank some extra piles awhile back and photos were posted on here at the time. Thats all thats happened.I drove by on the bog road last night and the same 6 or 7 piles are sticking up out of the ground as usual!... also there is very little activity on this stretch of the M7 - everything is finished more or less bar this 600m section.

Well there are good and bad points that can be taken from this. At least the rest of it is finished, if they do get the bog sorted it wont take long and we'll have a properly constructed road. If work has recommenced we'll know they have a solution. I mean how long could it take if they have a solution? Its only 600metres?

• Advertisement

Its only 600metres?

the problem isn't that it is 600m long...

it's how many meters deep in the bog that 600m stretch is ...:D

the problem isn't that it is 600m long...

it's how many meters deep in the bog that 600m stretch is ...:D

I am aware of that. All i am saying is, at least the problem is confined to this 600m stretch and not sporadically along the route of the road. If it is sorted here we are flying it.

I am aware of that. All i am saying is, at least the problem is confined to this 600m stretch and not sporadically along the route of the road. If it is sorted here we are flying it.

it was a joke.......

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

Was my first time driving Nenagh to Birdhill at weekend. Anyone know why there is still a lot of bollards on the road, and not the ones as you get on/off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

Just drill down 20 meters or so in a few strategic locations and place a couple of tons of TNT down there at each spot and blow the sh!t out of there. Then get a few men, a few JCBs or back hoes and scoop it out. With all the dry weather, what's the reason that this can't be done?

Photos from walk at Annaholty section of M7

Not much changed in 6 weeks, they've marked a lot of Xs on sections of the roads. Unsure why this is, could be the locations of the piles, but each X has a metal stud in the middle, as seen in the photos.

Anyway know what the markings are for?

DSC_0165-small.jpg

DSC_0169-small.jpg

DSC_0170-small.jpg

DSC_0159-small.jpg

DSC_0162-small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Its not the location of the piles. As seen in this picture the piles are no driven in any sort of sequence / that close to each other.

PICT0693.jpg

I would not be confident that anybody, working as an Engineer in Ireland, could speak confidently on what is happening here.

Im sure expertise has been brought in for outside to cure the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The metal stud/cross is a survey point with a hilti nail. It is obvious from the photos that they are still a bit away from a solution. They are just monitoring the settlement over a period of time before someone feels confident enough to propose a solution.

Yeah I really hoped more would have been done by now.

It looks like the tunnel will be open, and perhaps the rest of the M7 before this section is complete. NRA is just saying it'll open by end of year, no date provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the info, updates and photos from everyone. I travel regularly from Kerry to Dublin and can't wait for the whole M7 to be completed, but looks as if the final stretch may be some time off yet. Thanks again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement