Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the notorious bog road that runs under this was closed on my way into work this morning with diversions in place.

sounds like activity could be taking a step up today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Finally something is happenening. Very welcome news.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was also going to update about the road closure as I nearly ran down the guy putting up the signs. Neither of the signs had dates on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

taken from this weeks nenagh guardian. not a whole lot of new news here.

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=UR6EMG

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

My understanding from the NRA was that the piles sheared, and that's what caused the sinking. Not that they sunk more into the bog, the piles were driven into the bedrock, right?

Anyone second on this?

• Advertisement

I passed the n7 side of the bog road earlier and they had the road pulled up so maybe they are relaying more blacktop.

How long will they have to wait and see if the road sinks again after these works are complete i wonder?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Deedsie wrote: »
    How long will they have to wait and see if the road sinks again after these works are complete i wonder?

guess it depends on if it a car or truck that sinks first..:D

only kidding, would imagine it will be a few weeks at least, seemed to take that long last time

The bog road was closed by Limerick County Council to mulch a section of the road and re-spread, tar and chip it.

They have now moved onto the other road which pops out the other side of Birdhill.

BTW, Funny Story. The roller got too close to the bogish sides of the road, sank and rolled over into the ditch and a crane had to come and remove it.

The LCC guy told me it is the NRA working on the bog section and not the contractor. :confused: Take that with a pinch of salt because this guy was just a road cronie and not the foreman/engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    The LCC guy told me it is the NRA working on the bog section and not the contractor. :confused: Take that with a pinch of salt because this guy was just a road cronie and not the foreman/engineer.

Why bother posting if you know it to be untrue :confused:

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Why bother posting if you know it to be untrue :confused:

Who am I to call him a liar? He said it and I told you. 2nd hand information hence why I said "Pinch of Salt".

Did anyone drive past this morning? A lovely day to be working on a road.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Did anyone drive past this morning? A lovely day to be working on a road.

I can tell you from working on a hot hot day on the roads that it is actually worse because you have to wear an extra layer of clothing like the hi viz unless you are smart enough to cough up your hard earned money and buy a hi viz polo shirt.

Then there is the hard hat, which can be sweaty enough on a good day, gets worse. Now again you could buy a hard hat baseball cap but you are still hot hot hot. Then the boots, oh the boots. They are not great in this weather.

I pity them, truly, said as I might drive passed in a car with the air con on FULL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Anyone know why the railway bridge on the Nenagh bypass section is still only 1 lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Article in this morning's Independent which says:

But following the collapse of the road surface, a concrete and steel bridge is to be constructed over the entire area in the hope of establishing a stable base for the road.

There's also a quote from the NRA confirming that it was a design and build project - responsibility for completion and cost overruns lie with the contractor - and that the contractor has given reassurances that the road will be opened by year end.

richardjjd wrote: »
    Article in this morning's Independent which says:

But following the collapse of the road surface, a concrete and steel bridge is to be constructed over the entire area in the hope of establishing a stable base for the road.

There's also a quote from the NRA confirming that it was a design and build project - responsibility for completion and cost overruns lie with the contractor - and that the contractor has given reassurances that the road will be opened by year end.

Kinda scary when you see engineers use terms like "in the hope of"

Great news though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillyboy

How do you know an engineer said it? Could be just the reporters words!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

It is currently Coffey's doing the works up there.

They are also testing the road by driving a large Dump Truck over it.

Also said spoke to an engineer and he said that they are building a reinforced concrete base over the troublesome area. And they are very confident it will work. Similar to the other bog area traversed.

He didn't give a time frame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ki wrote: »
    They are also testing the road by driving a large Dump Truck over it.

Hmm, they would want to try fleets of dump trucks if they are serious about the tests.

sillyboy wrote: »
    How do you know an engineer said it? Could be just the reporters words!

Fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hmm, they would want to try fleets of dump trucks if they are serious about the tests.
    They will loose the Fleet of Trucks in the bog and will never be seen again. :eek:

Honestly they need to have sensors on the road and drive a heavy truck to check for vibrations etc, to detect where the weakness are. I also Hope they have ground penetrating sonar to detect issues every few days such as poor solid compaction also for ground shifting or weakening under the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

They would use Nuclear Density Testing for the actual construction to check compaction on the layers. There after I would assume, considering all the problems, that Falling Weight Deflectometer testing would be carried on the road to check for any weaknesses in the sub-grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

that Falling Weight Deflectometer testing would be carried on the road to check for any weaknesses in the sub-grade.

The subgrade is a sponge filled with 90% water! aka bog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

They would use Nuclear Density Testing for the actual construction to check compaction on the layers. There after I would assume, considering all the problems, that Falling Weight Deflectometer testing would be carried on the road to check for any weaknesses in the sub-grade.
    I forgot about the Nuclear Density Testing which is used in mining industries, good catch.

I do hope they use actual testing equipment rather than just a truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Folks if they have to change the layout of the road etc, there isnt a hope it will be open this year. I predicted this would happen in very early posts and no one listened. I would say we will be lucky to have the road open this time next year;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

clon wrote: »
    taken from this weeks nenagh guardian. not a whole lot of new news here.

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=UR6EMG
    Who is the Editor?
    The construction of the 38 km road from Annacotty to Nenagh including the construction of 28 km of motorway .......
    Although steel reinforced concrete piles had been driven into the bog to a depth of more than one hundred feet and capped with large blocks of reinforced concrete, it is now clearly visible that some of the piles sunk several feet further into the bog, following completion of the road, causing the collapse of the road surface and necessitating the current work.......
    The 'concrete and steel bridge' will be constructed over a section of between 100 and 200 metres of the road, across the entire width of two lanes in each direction in the hope of establishing a stable base for the road.

Very sad and unfortunate for those people in the mid-west dependent on tourists - both their rail service and their roads from Dublin city(Collinstown Airport) are now poorer than those of Galway or Cork. Then again its not as if Failte Ireland are advertising the improvements in transport too much in this country - I believe people should be made better aware of the time it takes to get between the cities to encourage more weekend breaks(or as the yanks say staycations) etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I was looking for the picture of that big yoke that they use for mining:cool: in some other country but i cant find it. Someone posted it earlier, if they could get something like that down to the bog and dig the whole thing out... Anyone past their in the last few days to see has work begun..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SARASON wrote: »
    I Someone posted it earlier

You mean The Beast.

Trencher2.jpg

Close up here ( large)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Think the bog would swallow it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

is that not a screencap from transformers II? :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement