Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

N25 from Carrigtwohill to Midleton has a sinking section of about 5m long. Also one of the bridges near the tunnel is sinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Wild Bill wrote: »
    There is an interesting sinking section on the M11 Gorey bypass. On both carriageways there is a 10m section that seems to keep subsiding.

The N22 into Killarney has a sunken patch on the Cork side of the bridge over the river Flesk as you go up the hill driving towards Cork. It was dug up once before and filled and packed down but it is has subsided again in the last 2 years and will have to be repatched. I imagine it was an underground lios or something they missed in construction about 15 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Deedsie wrote: »
    Remedial works are progressing on the section of road concerned and it
    is anticipated that the scheme will be complete towards the end of
    September.

Programme Administrator

National Roads Authority, St. Martin's House,

Deedsie. It appears that someone in the NRA gave different (more plausible) dates to the Limerick Leader last week.

The leader has a rather incoherent article HERE on the debacle. The leader 'believes' that a reinforced section was to be built when in actual fact it HAD ALREADY been built :D Going out there and lookiing is evidently beyond the capability of the typical Irish journalist who prefers to recycle press releases.

Anyway
    This week, a spokesperson for the NRA said: "I'm being told the M7 work is progressing well and the contractor is progressing on the job for an opening approximately in October / November of this year."

And has anyone gone out this week to see how they are doing with the small cracked section in Annaholty that Gryff spotted ???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Deedsie. It appears that someone in the NRA gave different (more plausible) dates to the Limerick Leader last week.

The leader has a rather incoherent article HERE on the debacle. The leader 'believes' that a reinforced section was to be built when in actual fact it HAD ALREADY been built :D Going out there and lookiing is evidently beyond the capability of the typical Irish journalist who prefers to recycle press releases.

Anyway

And has anyone gone out this week to see how they are doing with the small cracked section in Annaholty that Gryff spotted ???

I only copy and pasted the reply I received from the NRA. I was a bit surprised when she said September. It wasn't me saying a September opening. I haven't the foggiest when it'll open unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I was talking to one of the engineers this week.

He said that the road will be ready to be opened in less than 6 weeks, but he does not know what day it will officially be open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Does anyone have Miss McNally's email at the NRA or have another one that gets replied to?

Many thanks

NFD100 wrote: »
    Does anyone have Miss McNally's email at the NRA or have another one that gets replied to?

Many thanks

I just sent my email to info@nra.ie

They took down all their personal emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

How about the press officer. soneill@nra.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

NFD100 wrote: »

Many thanks

Whenever I email info@nra.ie it is Miss McNally who replies (eventually ;)).

• Advertisement

Oh by the way the sinking section will open in 2010 regardless of whether it sinks again or not. Even if they KNOW its going to sink, it'll be fiddled and will open by years end. Whether it has to close again in 2011 etc is irrelevant because the government want it open by end 2010 to complete their interurban mantra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Furet wrote: »
    Whenever I email info@nra.ie it is Miss McNally who replies (eventually ;)).

I've given up on the emailing of quangos. Phone them and be persistent. Usually works. Also assure them you are not a journalist. They will not be open about anything if they think you are.

Given the near total ignorance most journalists have regarding anything remotely technical I can't say I blame them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

update on the newport notes in this weeks nenagh guardian page 21 on the link below. some good photo's , looks like this road will open sometime in September all going well.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/NenaghGuardian/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The post that says the canadians use Expanded PolyStyrene floats is exactly what a builder mate of mine said they should have used from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Am I the only person sick of hearing of how the "locals" knew the bog was "bottomless" and that they were ignored?

So what? Locals aren't road engineers. While it's clear that, at best, majorly wrong assumptions about bog depths were made from sampling procedures, the fact that the road sank has nothing whatsoever to do with ignoring locals.

Every single local and national news report mentions these "locals". Time to give it a rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Am I the only person sick of hearing of how the "locals" knew the bog was "bottomless" and that they were ignored?

So what? Locals aren't road engineers. While it's clear that, at best, majorly wrong assumptions about bog depths were made from sampling procedures, the fact that the road sank has nothing whatsoever to do with ignoring locals.

Every single local and national news report mentions these "locals". Time to give it a rest.

given they were proven more correct than the so called "expert" road engineers, you rather we listened to the opinion of road engineers who have made a dogs dinner of this for the past few years and appear to be adopting a throw a dart and hope we hit something approach..

yeah, lets here more form them instead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

mossym wrote: »
    given they were proven more correct than the so called "expert" road engineers, you rather we listened to the opinion of road engineers who have made a dogs dinner of this for the past few years and appear to be adopting a throw a dart and hope we hit something approach..

yeah, lets here more form them instead:)

They haven't been proven "more correct" - whatever that means.

If the road is completed over the next few weeks, as looks likely, then this yarn will be forgotten it time, and rightly so.

By the way, where is the record of these "locals" stating that the bog was bottomless (!) and that their "advice" was "ignored" by the planners?

It's clear as hell now that the route is extremely difficult. But some of the reporting of this story is childish and continuously falls back on this "locals" rubbish. In my view this thread has been brilliant, and more of the journos should read what's been posted here for the past couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Unfortunately, people like to read stories about how the wise old locals knew more than the 'experts', regardless of the truth of the matter. Boring technical analysis and detail does little to sell newpapers.

Practically every single large infrastructure project gets this type of press on at least one issue - in which a 'local' voice (often either a vested interest, or a crank) gets national press attention, purely because it's a human interest story.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

I dont think the 'locals' were ignored in the planning stages - no engineer would ignore local information. The fact that the road was routed through the bog was because they decided they could overcome the technical issues... If they have failed to do this - only time will tell, wont be because they 'didnt listen to the locals'..it'll be due to inadequate engineering or construction. I think also the route they picked required fewer houses to be demolished than the other routes mooted.

• Advertisement

They haven't been proven "more correct" - whatever that means.

If the road is completed over the next few weeks, as looks likely, then this yarn will be forgotten it time, and rightly so.

By the way, where is the record of these "locals" stating that the bog was bottomless (!) and that their "advice" was "ignored" by the planners?

It's clear as hell now that the route is extremely difficult. But some of the reporting of this story is childish and continuously falls back on this "locals" rubbish. In my view this thread has been brilliant, and more of the journos should read what's been posted here for the past couple of years.

the "locals" said that no road would go over it, and so far the "expert" road engineers haven't managed to do it. once they do, I'll gladly listen to how they actually managed it, actually I'd be very interested to see how they did it.

but until they actually manage to do it, then anything they spout is as much pie in the sky as what the "locals" spout.

while not one of the locals myself, when some of my extended family members were having their houses taken by CPO for this project(including my 80 year old grandmother, whose house wasn't taken in the end), the opinion was they were taking on a hell of a job going over that bog, and doubts about it's success.

i can see your point, but if you say there is no point referring to the locals then given the up till now failure of the experts in dealing with it, then having quotes from them is as pointless. Am i the only one that thinks this latest effort is another try and see, and that even after completion there will be an extended wait and see before we ever see that road open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

i can see your point, but if you say there is no point referring to the locals then given the up till now failure of the experts in dealing with it, then having quotes from them is as pointless. Am i the only one that thinks this latest effort is another try and see, and that even after completion there will be an extended wait and see before we ever see that road open?

I have no doubt that they will be back to this road in the future because of subsidence as that always happen over soft ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think Aidan1 put it best when he wrote:
    Aidan1 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the geophysics the locals were working from. If it was "believed locally" to be haunted by fairies, would the Nenagh Guardian be be blaming them for damage to equipment?

Seriously, local newspaper articles like this only serve to reinforce the 'local triumph over know it all outsiders' sterotype that so many in rural Ireland cling to as evidence of their ongoing relevance.

Clearly there were issues with the initial survey work, and perhaps the route selection. But there is clearly no such thing as a 'bottomless' bog - if they were piling that deep, then they were piling into something. The approach the contracters and NRA are taking seems to be of the 'more gun' school - generally correct in the first instance. Here's hoping it works. The alternative is expensive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

lots of nice shiny tarmac being put down on layers on our favourite piece of road this morning.. contractor also putting back the barrier supports on one side of the road... another week of this progress and it'll be ready for road marking !!... had a look again at the location where there seems to be a bit of cracking in the tarmac - its far away from where the piles are so maybe its not a major concern - lets hope anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jacksie66 wrote: »
    was up at the section there today. as was said, theres plenty of tamac down. looks like at most a months work to me!

Fantastic, cant wait for this road to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Is it just the bog section that is holding up the potential opening of this section of the road, or is there more work to be done in conjunction with fixing this problem.

In other words if the bog section was sorted would we see this section opened quite quickly?

That new crack is a serious concern. Hopefully it can be remedied quickly. They are making such progress I thought it could in September.

Furet wrote: »
    I think Aidan1 put it best when he wrote:

i can agree on not repeatedly using the locals as a source of reference.

on the other hand, why should we also have to listen to so called "experts" who have repeatedly claimed opening dates for this road, haven't met them, and in my eyes at least (as i have said previously) are throwing ideas at the problem to see if it fixes it.

and i'm surprised people are thinking this road will be open shortly because the work has bene done. do you not think that given the problem is subsidence, and they are now putting more weight on top of it, that there will be at least a couple of months wait and see if it holds before the road opens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

Of course these locals were wrong and rightly ignored when they said that the bogs were
    bottonless! To suggest that the bogs are/were bottomless is bordering on retarded:rolleyes: Of course they have a bottom as at some point the underlying geological strata changes (i.e. there aint an infinite depth of peat) and if you go deep enough, approximately 12,700,000 metres beneath Annaholty you will re-emerge some where in the Pacific Ocean having traversed through many a different geological strata so suggesting the bog was bottomless is rather silly and superstitious.

The reason why the road failed in the first place one would assume was either poor engineering design and/or construction over the bog which is in the process of been rectified. - Not that the problem of the bog could not be dealt initially with by good engineering

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement