Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Deedsie wrote: »
    That new crack is a serious concern. Hopefully it can be remedied quickly. They are making such progress I thought it could in September.

Can they not just get a massive tanker load of expanding foam...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

123easy wrote: »
    Of course these locals were wrong and rightly ignored when they said that the bogs were
    bottonless! To suggest that the bogs are/were bottomless is bordering on retarded:rolleyes: Of course they have a bottom as at some point the underlying geological strata changes (i.e. there aint an infinite depth of peat) and if you go deep enough, approximately 12,700,000 metres beneath Annaholty you will re-emerge some where in the Pacific Ocean having traversed through many a different geological strata so suggesting the bog was bottomless is rather silly and superstitious.

I would suggest that their use of the phrase "bottomless" included an unspoken qualifier, namely "for all practical intents and purposes". In this respect, I think really we've been shown it was fairly justified to in common speech refer to it as "bottomless". I mean, following on from your expounding of how obviously it has to have a bottom, it has to be similarly obvious that the use of "bottomless" was not *literal*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

So what you are saying is that they like exaggerating?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye, something similar to saying they are borderline retards. Exaggeration, it's an irish way of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mossym wrote: »
    aye, something similar to saying they are borderline retards. Exaggeration, it's an irish way of life

It is of course any good country boy will tell you that... I often heard fella talking about bottomless drains, bogholes swamps etc.. Often heard bucks in the pub. `Jaysus that buck drinking pints of porter, tis like throwing them into a bottomless pit...

Visit the pub of the m7 scheme here in Ballinahinch and you will here all this caper. Hmmmmm Furet sounds like a good beers meet up venue when the road opens..... Any thoughts..:cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Has anyone else noticed the amount of littering on the the Birdhill to Nenagh side?

Yesterday morning I noticed 1 or 2 black bags along the route.

Being more aware this morning I saw at least 15. They are left singly along the section, Under the crash barrier. :mad:

Who do I report it to?
    North Tipp CoCO/NRA/Bothair Hiberian

ki wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the amount of littering on the the Birdhill to Nenagh side?

Being more aware this morning I saw at least 15. They are left singly along the section, Under the crash barrier. :mad:

Who do I report it to?

yeah saw a few last time i was up it, it's so isolated it's going to be a haven for illegal dumpers. county council i would imagine, guards as well would be no harm but not a lot they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Who do I report it to?

I'd say the North Tipp coco and the NRA, I doubt Bothair Hibernian wouldn't care. They should probably give the whole stretch from junction 24 to 28 a cleaning. The road was to open together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't think they were exaggerating. The locals used the term 'bottomless' because they didn't know precisely how deep it was. They did know it was feckin deep as bogs go and a silly place to go putting a motorway - and they were right.

Had the engineers used a design that relied on flotation, they could have had the last laugh on the locals. They didn't, so the locals rightfully get the last laugh.

Have you seen the piles they used? They look as substantial as Satay sticks. Someone seems to have made an assumption that those piles will only have to cope with a compression load. If there is even a slight tendency for the bog to flow/creep laterally, the motorway will be toast as those piles look to me like they will just snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

Floation was used before in this country and failed - they had to dig it all up again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭trellheim

Did anyone hear anything further on the funding to get it finished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

I took a trip down to the site yesterday evening and was surprised to see the progress that has been made, 90% of the blacktop is completed and they had just formed the concrete centre Crash barrier and that is also complete (it was still warm and I even managed to resist the urge to carve "Ullick 10" into it )..

However the cracks in the road towards the birdhill end of the works seem to my untrained eye to be a major problem, and while I am no road engineer I would not like to run my car over them at 120+ Kph...

Also the deep cracks in the embankment that were reported in last weeks paper must be a major issue as well, these things are like something you would see after an earthquake , they are running for about 100 metres and are 100 to 200 mm wide and at least a metre deep in places... I would be very surprised if we see traffic on this stretch of road anytime soon

I took a trip down to the site yesterday evening and was surprised to see the progress that has been made, 90% of the blacktop is completed and they had just formed the concrete centre Crash barrier and that is also complete (it was still warm and I even managed to resist the urge to carve "Ullick 10" into it )..

However the cracks in the road towards the birdhill end of the works seem to my untrained eye to be a major problem, and while I am no road engineer I would not like to run my car over them at 120+ Kph...

Also the deep cracks in the embankment that were reported in last weeks paper must be a major issue as well, these things are like something you would see after an earthquake , they are running for about 100 metres and are 100 to 200 mm wide and at least a metre deep in places... I would be very surprised if we see traffic on this stretch of road anytime soon

Balls...

That is just sickening. Was there anymore work done at the birdhill side cracks or is it just paint circling around the cracks?

The other cracks you mention are very worrying. I finally thought they might be getting close to an opening. Sure how would you even go about repairing thes cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

However the cracks in the road towards the birdhill end of the works seem to my untrained eye to be a major problem

Where are these cracks, are they near any of the bog sections, or up by the Birdhill junction?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lukejr wrote: »
    Where are these cracks, are they near any of the bog sections, or up by the Birdhill junction?

How deep and widespread are the cracks in the carriageway 'towards Birdhill' . If shallow it may be a wearing couse consaw/replace only, if deep then well ooops :eek:

I am not overly worried about these embankment cracks even thought thy sound bad. Some very soggy boggy embankment material was likely thrown against the roadside and probably dried out given the drought we had.

Or else the bog underneath did and it fell away a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jvm76

Who do I report it to?

These are bags of rubbish collected on the motorway. They will be collected by the company that gathered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

SARASON wrote: »
    It is of course any good country boy will tell you that... I often heard fella talking about bottomless drains, bogholes swamps etc.. Often heard bucks in the pub. `Jaysus that buck drinking pints of porter, tis like throwing them into a bottomless pit...

... and another thing about the reporting on what these 'locals' advised....

I thought (maybe wrongly) that the 'bottomless' bog was Drominboy. Now, because the most recent setback has been at Annaholty, newspapers are labelling that one as bottomless too.

No matter how good local knowledge is, I doubt that there are two bottomless bogs on a 12km stretch of motorway. Surely not even Bernard McNamara is that unlucky ????

This is becoming ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Coming up to castleconnell roundabout I saw a car take the exit onto the motorway as the gate was open, then they must have realised their mistake and stopped suddenly (the gate has signs saying road closed)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

They are right beside the repaired section about 200 metres towards Birdhill , Just after the LHS Crash Barrier begins.

I do not want to be an alarmist and these could very well be easily sorted out, i have done lots of road walking and never remember seeing cracks like these.
    The contractors have them marked with red spray paint and are obviously monitoring the section.

the cracks in the embankment could also be a common thing, I have never seen anything like them though, you can see the layers of plastic and felt that were laid down being pulled and stretched in places.

What will it be like when there are 10 ton trucks bouncing down this section???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

It's the 45t artics that I would be most concerned about.

• Advertisement

I presume soon enough they will have to make an announcement if the road is going to open or if this land cannot be traversed due to continuous sinking? An absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

They are right beside the repaired section about 200 metres towards Birdhill , Just after the LHS Crash Barrier begins.

I do not want to be an alarmist and these could very well be easily sorted out, i have done lots of road walking and never remember seeing cracks like these.
    The contractors have them marked with red spray paint and are obviously monitoring the section.

the cracks in the embankment could also be a common thing, I have never seen anything like them though, you can see the layers of plastic and felt that were laid down being pulled and stretched in places.

What will it be like when there are 10 ton trucks bouncing down this section???

By any chance would this have been caused when the replaced section sank ?

It was physically attached to the "secure" section so when it sank it would have pulled and stretched the connecting structure causing cracks ? or perhaps when the sinking section was cut out and removed it released the pressure on the "secure" section ?

I wouldn't worry just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

knipex wrote: »
    It was physically attached to the "secure" section so when it sank it would have pulled and stretched the connecting structure causing cracks ? or perhaps when the sinking section was cut out and removed it released the pressure on the "secure" section ?

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

If its the crack I saw then its one small area about 2m long right at the edge of the road - it well away from the pilling - 3 or 400m in the direction of Birdhill. Hopefully that means it isnt as big an issue as the subsidence over the pilled area. Also the cracking in the earth embankment IMHO isnt def a problem. There has been little rain since Nov 2009 - this could easily cause the earth packed against the side of the motorway to crack ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

They were putting the final surfacing on yesterday.
    Looks like they were putting it on over a 300-400 meter section, so I guess that includes the section where these "new" cracks were seen.
    Central barrier is up, railing is up. A bit of paint and some cats eyes and we're all set.

Fingers crossed for an unannounced opening next week.

Surely they will have to wait and see if it starts sinking again first? What will they do, open it and hope they got it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

mossym wrote: »
    Surely they will have to wait and see if it starts sinking again first? What will they do, open it and hope they got it right?
    I agree, I would like if they wait another month to be sure since we been waiting a long time already in case they need to be more work done it better at the contractor costs rather than the Tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

limklad wrote: »
    I agree, I would like if they wait another month to be sure since we been waiting a long time already in case they need to be more work done it better at the contractor costs rather than the Tax payer.

I don't think you are going to get your wish. Them putting up the central barrier and railings would be a clue they are not of a mind to wait and see.

The sooner it opens the better.

If problems arise, they can just close it off again and divert traffic as is being done now.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't think you are going to get your wish. Them putting up the central barrier and railings would be a clue they are not of a mind to wait and see.

The sooner it opens the better.

If problems arise, they can just close it off again and divert traffic as is being done now.

Surely the road will have to pass some safety standard set out by the NRA/RSA. I mean if there was a serious accident here, and they rushed the opening there would be war.

I can't wait for this road to open, but I hope it is well tested for subsidence before that happens. From those pictures, it couldn't take much more than a week or two to finish out this section.

Has there been any change at the cracks back towards Birdhill? The on that had been marked with paint?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement