Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have no doubt it'll sink again and have to be closed to be fixed again. But this way they can trumpet that the M7 will be done by end 2010, regardless of whether it'll close again in 2011.

Sinkage isnt a massive deal until it gets serious, look at the N25 from Cork to Cobh. Its sinking all over the place but nothing is being done. They cant even afford to mow the verges, let alone fix major subsidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭scartman1

Seems to be because the contractors are pissing about.

Is it fashionable to comment so disrespectfully on a business doing its best to get a job done.
    I think comments such as the above are more a reflection on the issuer than the issue at hand.
    No offence intended but I think comments should be more tempered.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Once Nenagh-Limerick is open, I'll be very interested to see the traffic flow at the J28 roundabout at peak times, say 5-6pm weekdays.

Southbound traffic from Nenagh exiting there will have to yield to Newport-bound vehicles - coming off the SRR or coming from Castletroy.

I predict that this exit will remain a hotspot at peak times, with wait times inevitable.

scartman1 wrote: »
    Is it fashionable to comment so disrespectfully on a business doing its best to get a job done.
    I think comments such as the above are more a reflection on the issuer than the issue at hand.
    No offence intended but I think comments should be more tempered.

Its fashionable to point out that while Fermoy - Mitchelstown was complete in about 14 months, Castletown - Nenagh, while being no more complicated, will have taken about twice that for no apparent reason. Its the business who are building it. Granted, they're doing it properly, but they are taking far, far too long to do it and to me, they are pissing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

Once Nenagh-Limerick is open, I'll be very interested to see the traffic flow at the J28 roundabout at peak times, say 5-6pm weekdays.

Southbound traffic from Nenagh exiting there will have to yield to Newport-bound vehicles - coming off the SRR or coming from Castletroy.

I predict that this exit will remain a hotspot at peak times, with wait times inevitable.

I agree, I think this roundabout is very poorly designed.
    Traffic coming down the off ramp will have very poor visibility of the traffic coming on the roundabout from Castleconnell. It will be even worse for traffic looking to get on from the Newport road.

Roundabouts should allow for traffic to join without needing to come to a complete stop first, otherwise they are worse than traffic lights.
    I can see that off ramp (Dublin to Castletroy) being backed up frequently.
    Especially as the Tipp Road junction is such a poor alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Quote:
    A SECTION of a major new motorway which collapsed into a bog looks finally set to open, road authorities have confirmed.

A massive operation has been under way for several months to finish part of the M7 Limerick to Nenagh bypass, which was due for completion in May 2009.

The €425 million road will link Limerick Southern Ring Road with the existing Nenagh bypass.

The project consisted of 28km of dual carriageway built to motorway standard, with a single carriageway link to the main road at Birdhill, and the upgrading of 10km of the Nenagh bypass to motorway standard. About 25km of this project has been completed and is open to traffic, including a 16km length of road between Nenagh and Birdhill.

The construction of the project was contracted to Bothar Hibernian four years ago, but the contractors ran into serious difficulties when a section of road collapsed earlier this year.

The difficulties arose at Anaholty bog, about midway between Birdhill and Annacotty, where the road – which was almost complete by the end of last year – unexpectedly started to sink into the bog.

Tens of thousands of steel reinforced concrete piles were initially driven into the bog in an effort to support the road, and a concrete and steel bridge has also been constructed to establish a stable base for the road. It was confirmed yesterday that the section of road will finally open to traffic in October.

“From all reports from the contractor, we are confident that this will be completed in October and opened in October,” said Sean O’Neill of the National Roads Authority.

..................... dont you just love newspaper reports..
    A 'massive ' operation ???... several months ( July and August).. A section of road collapsed... not really - a few inches of subsidence maybe... and then 'tens of thousands of piles'...10,000 at a very big push....then finally...the road will be 'completed in October'...the road was practically speaking finished in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jacksyhoulahan

My sources tell me Limerick-Birdhill is opening Friday 10th September

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

My sources tell me Limerick-Birdhill is opening Friday 10th September

I really hope that your sources are correct. It is as good as finished. Anyone walk it since Friday? Three days work should have seen alot of progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭d1980

From the leader website
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/M7-Limerick-to-Nenagh-route.6507503.jp

M7 Limerick to Nenagh route finally set to open - but now ESB hits problems with same bog land

THE troubled M7 Limerick to Nenagh route will be fully open in October, as revealed in the Limerick Leader over three weeks ago.However, now the ESB is struggling to carry out work due the "bottomless" bogs.
    The completed 28km of dual carriageway, with a single carriageway link to the main road at Birdhill and the upgrading of 10km of the Nenagh bypass to dual carriageway standard was due to be completed last May.

Ongoing problems with building the road through Annaholty and Drominboy bogs put the contractor, Bothar Hibernian, off schedule.

Recently, a plan to resolve the issue in Annaholty bog, between Birdhill and Annacotty, was devised. It is believed that a concrete and steel reinforced base was constructed over the problem area. Earlier this year, it is understood a section of the almost completed road collapsed due to sinkage. Serious difficulties had previously been encountered during construction of the road through an area of deep and wet bogland at Drominboy.

A spokesperson for the NRA said: "I'm being told the M7 work is progressing well and the contractor is progressing on the job for an opening in October."

However, one local man who contacted the Limerick Leader said it should be possible to open it this week because work is nearly completed.

"I've been cycling and walking on the road for over a year. I get on at the Castleconnell roundabout and cycle all the way to Birdhill.

"The only thing left to do on Monday was 20 yards of barriers. Everything else is done - surfacing, road markings, cats' eyes, most of the barriers, signposts. The road is ready," said the local man, who didn't wish to be named as he shouldn't be on the unopened road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

d1980 wrote: »
    A spokesperson for the NRA said: "I'm being told the M7 work is progressing well and the contractor is progressing on the job for an opening in October."

However, one local man who contacted the Limerick Leader said it should be possible to open it this week because work is nearly completed.

Quality journalism right there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭scartman1

Its fashionable to point out that while Fermoy - Mitchelstown was complete in about 14 months, Castletown - Nenagh, while being no more complicated, will have taken about twice that for no apparent reason. Its the business who are building it. Granted, they're doing it properly, but they are taking far, far too long to do it and to me, they are pissing about.

Fermoy Mitchelstown was only €40 million or so, and perhaps 15km long,
    Nenagh Castletown was €170,000,000 and over 3 to 4 times longer.
    Construction is a serious business, 'Pissing About 'as you put it costs companies money, and inspite of your perception, they are not fools.

I just think the ignorant begrudger gene in all of us, if not tempered, lets a lot of us down, and diminishes constructive contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

scartman1 wrote: »
    Fermoy Mitchelstown was only €40 million or so, and perhaps 15km long

Sixteen kilometres and the cost was about 150 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

€174m according to widipedia and other sources;)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Any reason why they can't open it now rather than October?Or do they have to drive a few trucks over it to see if it's sinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Taken from this weeks nenagh guardian,

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=Z3BHDE

If the NRA or someone would just release a statement stating clearly when the road will open and what needs to be done that is holding up opening the road, people would be alot moe understanding. It's a year and a half late and cost us €500 million, a small bit of clear information would be nice for a change. Is it time to email them again?

clon wrote: »

"Engineers are hopeful that it will withstand the demand which will be made on it and that the method used will be successful in carrying the road through the bog ...... "

How encouraging ... hopeful ...

And, the all-knowing (but unnamed) "locals" are mentioned yet one more time

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

clon wrote: »

Whats the bet that "cyclist" is an OSM mapper getting a sneeky trace in before the road opens :pac:

Edit: Holy crap someones already mapped the bit under construction! you cant keep em away lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Shortly with the completion of the final section of the M7 between Toomevara and Borris-in-Ossory there will be a motorway from Shannon Airport to Dublin.
    Can they really say that? The section past Cratloe in particular is hardly Motorway standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Can they really say that? The section past Cratloe in particular is hardly Motorway standard.

Were used to the poor state of articles that are thrown together about any road project. Naas to Dublin is not motorway either.

• Advertisement

They could technically say Shannon - Rathmorrisey - Dublin via the M18 and 6 (excluding Athlone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's better than saying you can now drive from Cratloe to Naas on a motorway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

"Engineers are hopeful that it will withstand the demand which will be made on it and that the method used will be successful in carrying the road through the bog ...... "

How encouraging ... hopeful ...

The only certainty in this life is death. Hopeful is the very best an honest engineer could say. :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The only certainty in this life is death. Hopeful is the very best an honest engineer could say. :cool:

For €500 Million, they would want to be deadly certain....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭beagga

opening during the final days of September or early days of October.
    Engineers for the NRA will carry out final checks on the completed road over the next two weeks before signing off and giving the green light for the opening of the road.
    What do they have to do? Couldn't the rest of the road be checked by them before now? Surely this bit wont take 2 weeks to check?

Wild Bill wrote: »

And that you'll pay Tax..........:D

But with the likes of the messing that went on with this bog you'd have to wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

beagga wrote: »
    What do they have to do?

Ten of them have to stand abreast across the road with their arms across each others shoulders, then they have to jump up and down in sync for five minutes, then they have to step forward a meter and do it again.

I have been told they will be doing this in 2 hour shifts and that a ghetto blaster playing loud trance music is being used for syncing and frequency control.

Apparently the road crews have devised a privacy screen consisting of DPM curtains attached to two fore and aft mobile scaffolding frames, between which this activity will be conducted, as there were serious concerns the laughter of the locals might put off the engineers and they might get out of sync as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

In all fairness there's probably a lot of tidying up to do on the rest of the road that's still closed - the connection to the Limerick bypass (by the new roundabout) is full of debris and shíte, not to mention all the temporary barriers, covered up signs, etc. Then again I'm not sure that would take 4 weeks to get ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

In all fairness there's probably a lot of tidying up to do on the rest of the road that's still closed - ...

Yeah, there's a lot of dog and cyclist poop to clean up.:D

I've been driving this road every day since early 2009. I'll wait another month I suppose. That Birdhill to Finnegan's run takes about 13 minutes in evening traffic. Should be an easy 5-6 minute cruise when open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd love to see a computer image of the pilings with the bog removed

something like
    CSP_teaser.jpg

with a think 30m piles ? more ?

and no cross supports below the top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement