Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

lukejr wrote: »
    Just received an email from the NRA, and they said it looks like the section will open the end of September.

So hopefully this is on target.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it open before then, on the QT.

You know, the thing that annoys me about this stretch of road is not that they had technical problems - clearly these were genuine. Instead, it was the drip-feed of information, or lack of it, about the difficulties the contractors were in. I've been following this thread for over a year, and, boy, there is understandable frustration from posters, most/all of whom are taxpayers, and many (like me) daily commuters on the route.

And listening to Sean O'Neill of NRA, who with the exception of this stretch have been in the Good News business for years, I was amazed that they continuously reneged on their responsibility for this failure. It has been a massive failure - the project is to be delivered 12-18 months late. But they blame contractors. A bit like a restaurant owner blaming food suppliers.

I came across one serious accident on the Nenagh bypass last year which wouldn't have happened if the stretch had been opened on schedule. Nothing to do with a bottomless bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

I cycled this road on Saturday, was looking forward to seeing the work on the sinking section. Cycled from Birdhill, then hit the roundabout at the far end. I was like "WTF is going on here? Where is the dodgy section? This road is completely finished!".

Seriously, completely finished!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

shg101 wrote: »
    This road is completely finished!". Seriously, completely finished!

It is, barring a further subsidence or collapse north of the reinforced sections.

Of the aggregate 2km of Bog in Annaholty and Drominboy the southern 300m in Annaholty and the entire 700m of Drominboy now has a reinforced deck under the carriageway lying across the piling.

The most northerly 1km across the Annaholty bog does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

great that it's opening this month rather than next then. I'd say, like the other 2 sections of this route, there will not be any media fanfare or publicity launch (apart from an AA roadwatch announcement) due to the fragmented opening of the Nenagh - Limerick stretch in 3 unplanned stages (Nenagh bypass, Birdhill - Nenagh and now Limerick-Birdhill). If it had all opened in one go back in May 2009 as originally planned, then they probably would have had the opening ceremony. I'd say when the Castletown - Nenagh section is opened, they'll have the publicity/TD on site opening as it will mark the completion of the country's final interurban m-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

So no official date in which it will be opened?

Driving to Dublin tomorrow from Limerick, hopefully but I doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

So can we say with confidence that the road will open in the next 16 days? It's mad there has still been no official announcement about the opening. Anyone notice any works passing today? Any movement of cones, barriers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Of the aggregate 2km of Bog in Annaholty and Drominboy the southern 300m in Annaholty and the entire 700m of Drominboy now has a reinforced deck under the carriageway lying across the piling.

The most northerly 1km across the Annaholty bog does not.

I didnt realise there is another 1km of bog section north of the famous sinking section - are there piles under the road at this section ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yep, another c 1km of piling north of the recently repaired section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Deedsie wrote: »
    So can we say with confidence that the road will open in the next 16 days? It's mad there has still been no official announcement about the opening. Anyone notice any works passing today? Any movement of cones, barriers etc?

I passed yesterday , saw no one , road looked complete to my untrained eye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I passed yesterday , saw no one , road looked complete to my untrained eye

Same here David, road looks completed and deserted of any work vehicles/people!

Couldnt say the same for Castletown to nenagh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Mc Love wrote: »

No that looked a long way off complete ( to my untrained eye )

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Mc Love wrote: »

Yesterday morning and afternoon there were plenty of workers toiling away, there were lads spraying the long grass as you will enter the Motorway at Drominboy..And a few vans on the bridge next to Finnegans.. Wont be long now..

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Saw some landscapers heading onto the motorway just up from finnegans this morning.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Not long now. Woohoo. Soon the Newport Roundabout/Interchange(Not Finnegans) will not be as busy anymore and I wont be stuck on the R503 100 cars deep yielding to the unending vehicles coming from the N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Only 14 days left of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Berty wrote: »
    Not long now. Woohoo. Soon the Newport Roundabout/Interchange(Not Finnegans) will not be as busy anymore and I wont be stuck on the R503 100 cars deep yielding to the unending vehicles coming from the N7.

Berty, I suspect that there will still be a lot of traffic coming off the M7 at that roundabout to get in to City/Castletroy/Plassey, etc. which will have priority over the R503.

It may not be as much as previously, but it'll still be reasonably high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Although it will be nice and convenient when it opens, it won't save a huge amount of time getting to Birdhill....a minute or two maybe.

The big one will be Castletown Nenagh......roll on Winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

AlanD wrote: »
    Although it will be nice and convenient when it opens, it won't save a huge amount of time getting to Birdhill....a minute or two maybe.

Safety has to be the major thing about this section. I went to college in Limerick and have seen many accident-scenes along this stretch

Of course the Friday rush hour and possible cold snaps/floods will be easier to navigate too. All in all a very important stretch IMO

Safety has to be the major thing about this section. I went to college in Limerick and have seen many accident-scenes along this stretch

Of course the Friday rush hour and possible cold snaps/floods will be easier to navigate too. All in all a very important stretch IMO

I agree, the safety of the Motorways can't be overstated. It'll be nice to have. I'm not liking the look of the entrance to the motorway northbound just up from Finnegan's roundabout. It's a very small roundabout.

It's not even the time savings that are the most important to me. It is just more convenient to drive on a motorway. And it feels much safer. No getting caught behind tractors or trucks anymore.

I hate saying this but progress is so slow on the Castletown to Nenagh scheme that if it opens at all this year I will be happily surprised.

• Advertisement

I know it's painfully slow. I drive to Lettekenny once a month from Limerick and as strange as it may seem, I go through Dublin, Newry and Armagh. It takes the same time and is a much easier drive. Having motorway from outside my door almost in Limerick to Newry will be pure bliss.

Along with the new service areas on the M1.

I know it's painfully slow. I drive to Lettekenny once a month from Limerick and as strange as it may seem, I go through Dublin, Newry and Armagh. It takes the same time and is a much easier drive. Having motorway from outside my door almost in Limerick to Newry will be pure bliss.

I work in Portlaoise & live in Nenagh. I commute the only section of the M7 not complete. I have had to drive passed junction 23 and 24 every day for the last two months. There has been progress on both but in two months you think they would have got further. Obviously they may have been working elsewhere on the route but it seems no junction is complete. Have they lined any where on the route? To be fair junction 24 is finally taking shape but there is still probably a months work in it.

I am considering moving to Portlaoise until it opens. 1 hour 40 mins a day driving the old N7. I reckon it'll be below an hour when this scheme opens.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I am considering moving to Portlaoise until it opens. 1 hour 40 mins a day driving the old N7. I reckon it'll be below an hour when this scheme opens.

An hour 40? Is that because of traffic? Wow, that's not great. Any time I drive to Mountrath, it only takes me an hour from Annacotty in Limerick.

Should take you much less than an hour when done, assuming you use the toll in Portlaoise. What's the distance from Nenagh to Portlaoise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I suspect Deedsie means 1 hour 40 for the round trip (50 minutes each way), but I'm very much open to correction.

Rovi wrote: »
    I suspect Deedsie means 1 hour 40 for the round trip (50 minutes each way), but I'm very much open to correction.

Ya 50 mins each way. Just over 40 mins if I use the motorway from Borris. But I'm not paying €3.60 for such a short distance. Once the entire road is open I'll be delighted to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

It will save between 3 mins (off-peak) to 15 minutes (peak), and it's a much easier drive. I commute it every day. Believe me, I will be a more pleasant person to live with once they open Birdhill-Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

O/T
    Alan, is it not quicker to take the N33 to Ardee and the N2 to the Border, than going by Armagh?

Has any reason been given for the slow progress on the northern incomplete section?
    Was it just poorly worded contracts that allow the contractor to take their time?

O/T
    Alan, is it not quicker to take the N33 to Ardee and the N2 to the Border, than going by Armagh?

It takes about the same time to get to Aughnacloy where the roads meet. Tested it one day with another lad coming behind me going to the same spot. He turned off at Ardee, I carried on and we met coming out of Aughnacloy. My way was just easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I find M1 to Dundalk and N53 to 'blayney is faster than both of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

:eek:
    Has anybody heard rumours of some more subsidence over by Annaholty in the past couple of days??
    Was in a pub close to the section on Friday and was told that the repaired section was after sinking a bit...
    Please god it is only a Rumour:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement