Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 'repaired' section ?? Do you mean the section repaired UNDER the motorway on the local access road off the old N7 or the motorway itself and can you not go for a gander yourself Ulick ??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The 'repaired' section ?? Do you mean the section repaired UNDER the motorway on the local access road off the old N7 or the motorway itself and can you not go for a gander yourself Ulick ??

Aparently it is the motorway itself, Due to the masses of concrete that were placed on top of the bog to hold up the road deck...
    I am hoping to get down there tomorrow evening and have a look,

Still hoping that it is beer talk...

Please Please Please be beer talk!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

That is real deppressing news on a wet miserable monday morning. Hopefully its only pub talk and that everything is ok, however there is rarely smoke wit out fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Well it's really starting to look bad for a September opening now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Can someone give me directions to the bog of doom? I'm about 13km away from it at the moment and I'm tempted to go there to see if I can find any evidence of renewed subsidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

Furet
    this is taken from an earlier post on this form
    Head from Birdhill towards Limerick and just before Dalys Cross there is a turn to your left just after the traffic Chokers.

The underpass is around 500mtrs down this road.

don't know if the bog section is to the left or right of the underpass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The bog section is to the left of the underpass, coming from the Dublin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Just back from a poorly lit Bike trek down to the Mire of gloom and i am delighted to report that all looks good down that way..Hopefully we will have traffic on the section in a week or two...

PPPHHHEEEEWWWW:D

Just back from a poorly lit Bike trek down to the Mire of gloom and i am delighted to report that all looks good down that way..Hopefully we will have traffic on the section in a week or two...

PPPHHHEEEEWWWW:D

I went there too. I have mixed reports. Firstly, there was a Coffey crew at the underpass resurfacing the local road. I asked one builder when the M7 would open; he said he hadn't a clue and there was a twinkle in his eye. I told him that rumours of further subsidence had been reported in this thread. He said that just this morning one of his colleagues told him that a section just beyond the overpass had subsided again, but that he hadn't seen it himself. I asked him if it was possible to see the road and he told me how to get onto the motorway. So I did. I was on the Dublin-bound carriageway and I saw no sign of any subsidence, though I didn't get to see it all. So there's mixed messages for you.

Also, I have to say that the road looks like hell. Not the surfacing, but the embankments. It's grotesque actually. It certainly isn't landscaped yet, and there's a bit of manicuring to do close to a few bridges. But the carriageway itself looks complete.

That underpass was resurfaced in June, was the job finished then because if so why were they resurfacing again ???

Berty reported in late May ( pics)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66132480&postcount=1661

Bertie saw them surfacing 1 June

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66178328&highlight=underpass#post66178328

Furet saw them surfacing there again today. Still does not prove the Motorway is sinking !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Furet wrote: »
    Also, I have to say that the road looks like hell. Not the surfacing, but the embankments. It's grotesque actually. It certainly isn't landscaped yet, and there's a bit of manicuring to do close to a few bridges. But the carriageway itself looks complete.

You might not want to drive the M7 Birdhill-Nenagh section so because it's absolutely horrible in places.!!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That underpass was resurfaced in June, was the job finished then because if so why were they resurfacing again ???

Berty reported in late May ( pics)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66132480&postcount=1661

Bertie saw them surfacing 1 June

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66178328&highlight=underpass#post66178328

Furet saw them surfacing there again today. Still does not prove the Motorway is sinking !!!

The man who lives in the house just before the underpass was out and I chatted to him for a moment while the contractors were paving the road. He said it was their fourth time doing it.

Furet wrote: »
    He said it was their fourth time doing it.

Whoops, 2nd time in 4 months too. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Oh lads, this is starting to depress me :(

I feel someone should be starting a novena or some such, as prayer may be the only option left. But, hopefully, all will be well. :)

BTW - I agree the "landscaping" towards the end of the open section from Nenagh to Birdhill is fairly severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

tech2 wrote: »
    You might not want to drive the M7 Birdhill-Nenagh section so because it's absolutely horrible in places.!!
    Give 'em time. Things don't grow overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

I know a few locals who know some of the construction workers will try and get some facts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

Great news, altho I dont think anyone here will fully believe it until it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

d1980 wrote: »
    Great news, altho I dont think anyone here will fully believe it until it opens.

I hope I am wrong. I fear that it will be closed within a year of opening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

and look at that, not a mention of the locals, that should please some of the posters here, i know the locals really annoyed them:)
    crucamim wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong. I fear that it will be closed within a year of opening.

have to say i reckon your're right, but like you i hope we're very wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

mossym wrote: »
    and look at that, not a mention of the locals, that should please some of the posters here, i know the locals really annoyed them:)

have to say i reckon your're right, but like you i hope we're very wrong

PR for this scheme is a disaster. How could road users have confidence in it?

The entire project was shadowed in management failure and rumour that was never challenged by BH. Hopefully it is complete and won't close again, but how could you trust it will stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Deedsie wrote: »
    PR for this scheme is a disaster. How could road users have confidence in it?

The entire project was shadowed in management failure and rumour that was never challenged by BH. Hopefully it is complete and won't close again, but how could you trust it will stay open.

TBH it won't matter, it'll open, people will use it. If there's a problem, it'll close, people won't use it and will grumble about it and then it'll open again, and people will use it again. Simple. It's always the case, that the second a road opens, will be the same second people forget about all the rumours.

Honestly, outside of the 20/30 people who post here, noone will give two hoots about the rumours and the "management failure".

Way too much emphasis is put on a thread like this from within. Those outside of the boards.ie world will just be getting on with it.

Looking forward to it opening for sure!

This is in no way meant as a personal attack on users, readers and posters in this thread. It is merely an expression of my own opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AlanD wrote: »

Honestly, outside of the 20/30 people who post here, noone will give two hoots about the rumours and the "management failure".

Way too much emphasis is put on a thread like this from within. Those outside of the boards.ie world will just be getting on with it.

they should give two hoots if it ends up costing us money, which is my fear. i know there will be an obligation on the contractor for a period of time, but if it ends up they find a loophole to get out of maintaining it then we should all give two hoots. conspiracy theory it may be, but if the construction industry was thriving i'd have a lot more faith

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

I think they will have to drain that bog - if its bottom is above sea level. They will have to take out the peat and build a proper solid causeway across it - and possibly turn the remainer of the bog into a reservoir for Limerick - if it is not at too low an altitude.

Once again, I hope that I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

425 million euro to save 8 minutes?
    thats €885,416 per second!
    Should I post this in bargain alerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Having a good road link between Dublin to Limerick is extremely important, if you travel the whole N/M7 regularly you'll see just how much of the traffic is lorries(more so than the N/M8 in my albeit limited experience).

It's not just about the time saving. From media reports you'd swear that's the only reason we build motorways. Well, it's not. It's also about safety, environmental benefits and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Newport (Finnegan's) roundabout should calm down significantly in rush hour (8.00am-9.00am and 4.00pm to 5.30pm). It is almost like bypassing a town because of its circumference:)

Scary being wedged between a huge articulated lorry, its blindspot and the kerb....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

This is just the Birdhill - Limerick time saving = 8 mins

Add Nenagh Birdhill and I'd say it is at least 15 more dangerous mins have been saved for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement