Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

summer11 wrote: »
    This is just the Birdhill - Limerick time saving = 8 mins

Add Nenagh Birdhill and I'd say it is at least 15 more dangerous mins have been saved for everyone.

it'll do a lot for my blood pressue, no more idiots coming down the existing motorway to finnegans roundabout, staying in right hand lane then trying to duck back into the left lane on the roundabout to take the dublin road exit...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

mossym wrote: »
    it'll do a lot for my blood pressue, no more idiots coming down the existing motorway to finnegans roundabout, staying in right hand lane then trying to duck back into the left lane on the roundabout to take the dublin road exit...

that will be me then....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

irelandjoe wrote: »
    that will be me then....

bloody english drivers :D

that will be me then....

plus many more, which is why we need motorways to keep things nice and simple for those that can't follow simple rules.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    bloody english drivers :D

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

That would be me aswell sorry but in my defence there are no arrows and in my opinion you have 2 lanes surely the left lane is for limerick exit and the right lane for dublin (sorry to all new port traffic for disregarding ye:-). hopefully wont have to venture that way any more. it will be cause for celebration if that road is open. i'm so sick of traveling through birdhill and daly's cross on friday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

solidwork wrote: »
    That would be me aswell sorry but in my defence there are no arrows and in my opinion you have 2 lanes surely the left lane is for limerick exit and the right lane for dublin (sorry to all new port traffic for disregarding ye:-). hopefully wont have to venture that way any more. it will be cause for celebration if that road is open. i'm so sick of traveling through birdhill and daly's cross on friday evenings.

left lane is first two exits and right hand lane is for any subsequent exits...UNLESS Directed otherwise by road markings.

Here endeth the Lesson!!:)

Or please see Below for a better explanation.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Left lane is for left and straight ahead. Right lane is for going right. Subtle distinction but it means that on roundabouts with two exits, you're in the right lane for the second exit if the second exit is after 180 degrees.

Stark wrote: »
    Left lane is for left and straight ahead. Right lane is for going right. Subtle distinction but it means that on roundabouts with two exits, you're in the right lane for the second exit if the second exit is after 180 degrees.

And the dublin exit is more then 180 degrees so you saying its ok to be in the right lane? OK i don't feel so bad about it now. :D

And the dublin exit is more then 180 degrees so you saying its ok to be in the right lane? OK i don't feel so bad about it now. :D

have a look, it's actually less than 180 degrees.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.673077,-8.516421&spn=0.00661,0.01929&z=16

feel bad again? doubt it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Stark wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? AFAIK it's based on exits and not degrees. Left lane for first+second exit, right lane for third, fourt, fifth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Regardless, it's a lack of consideration for your fellow road users. We all want to get home quickly and as safe as possible. We don't want to look at dicks pulling a fast one over taking people who follow the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Can I ask if the straight ahead exit from a roundabout has a two lane exits are you breaking the rules of the road by queuing in the right hand lane? If so then the vast majority of people, including myself I have to add, don't use roundabouts correctly where this situation exists.

And I know its only a minor point but it really irritates me when articles like the Irish Times' one talk about motorways between the M50 and regional cities. There isn't one example of this in our network.

• The M1 may start directly off the M50 but its not a motorway complete to Belfast (or even to the border for some strange reason!).
    • The M3 has a small gap but it doesn't serve any major city.
    • The M4/M6 to Galway has a few miles of a gap but its the closest to being correct.
    • The M7/M8/M9 to Limerick/Cork/Waterford respectively however have a fifteen mile gap to the M50 because we were so slow to build the road we had to widen the Naas road instead of building a new purpose built route to the M50 for the M7 as was originally planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Tragedy wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? AFAIK it's based on exits and not degrees. Left lane for first+second exit, right lane for third, fourt, fifth etc.

Any exit after 180 degrees on the sign and you should be in the right lane. the important bit is its all based on the layout of the exits on the sign.

Thank god its opening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

pajoguy wrote: »
    Any exit after 180 degrees on the sign and you should be in the right lane. the important bit is its all based on the layout of the exits on the sign.

Thank god its opening!
    Based on what?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Regardless, it's a lack of consideration for your fellow road users. We all want to get home quickly and as safe as possible. We don't want to look at dicks pulling a fast one over taking people who follow the rules of the road.

Agreed. no wonder the left lane is always full. looking forward to reducing my roundabout count to just 10 daily

Jayuu wrote: »
    Can I ask if the straight ahead exit from a roundabout has a two lane exits are you breaking the rules of the road by queuing in the right hand lane? If so then the vast majority of people, including myself I have to add, don't use roundabouts correctly where this situation exists.

then unless you are being told to by a guard you don't user roundabouts correctly. have a read

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Nice one, I will look forward to this opening. :cool:

pajoguy wrote: »

Thank god its opening!

have a look at the link i posted above, no mention of degrees or road signs.

it does say obey road markings, a different thing

anyway, apologies, my comment about the roundabout were about that one specifically as it pertained to the M7, not to start a debate on roundabouts in general. it's not a misconception of how to use roundabouts that cause the stupidity you see there, as they are all able to take the next roundabout at castleconnell just fine as there isn't a tailback to fuel their impatience, so they obviously understand the proper method.

i'm sure if someone wanted to start a thread discussing the rights and wrongs of rounabout behaviour then it would be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

425 million euro to save 8 minutes?
    thats €885,416 per second!
    Should I post this in bargain alerts?

A large bulk of this scheme is long since open and providing additional time savings already. Also, those time savings are on best case scenarios for the old roads - its more like 45 minutes on a wet Friday evening.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    A large bulk of this scheme is long since open and providing additional time savings already. Also, those time savings are on best case scenarios for the old roads - its more like 45 minutes on a wet Friday evening.

for sure, daly's cross can become very backed up on dark wet nights....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

for sure, daly's cross can become very backed up on dark wet nights....

I remember it jused to take me over 3 hours to get to Dublin from Limerick city. Now it's down to just over 2 hrs, should be under that when its fully open!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I remember it jused to take me over 3 hours to get to Dublin from Limerick city. Now it's down to just over 2 hrs, should be under that when its fully open!

Absolutely! On a sunday evening, it has taken me up to 5 hours on occasion, in the days before the bypasses of Kildare and Monasterevin.

The usual "its a waste of money" types who seem to infest Irish society these days really do have very short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

tech2 wrote: »
    You might not want to drive the M7 Birdhill-Nenagh section so because it's absolutely horrible in places.!!

There's one particular bit is like the entrance to Mordor or something! Broken rock on the sides of a deep cutting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I just received an email from Annamarie McNally of the NRA. The road will open at approximately 4pm on Tuesday.

I bet she thinks I'm gonna stop emailing now. I will now focus all my attention on the Castletown to Nenagh scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

then unless you are being told to by a guard you don't user roundabouts correctly. have a read

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

I'm in good company then! I do generally tend to queue left but there are some roundabouts close to where I live where that is awkward because of bus lanes so most people tend to stay in the right hand lane! But I will do better in future. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Lads, 180 degrees is the direction you came from, 0 is straight ahead!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

If they are opening Tuesday they could do with tidying up around junction 28 - Finnegans roundabout. The off ramp northbound has no line markings - stray cats eyes from earlier work and no anti-skid surface (or whatever you call that light coloured rough finish they put down).

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

testicle wrote: »
    Lads, 180 degrees is the direction you came from, 0 is straight ahead!

:rolleyes:

That's one way of viewing it.
    I would look at it like this, if you are taking the first exit off a roundabout (generally speaking) you travel through 90 degrees of the roundabout, if you are going straight ahead you travel through 180 degrees of it, etc.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

gryff wrote: »
    If they are opening Tuesday they could do with tidying up around junction 28 - Finnegans roundabout. The off ramp northbound has no line markings - stray cats eyes from earlier work and no anti-skid surface (or whatever you call that light coloured rough finish they put down).

Looks like thats already the plan. From AA Roadwatch.

From 9am Thurs 23rd the N7/Limerick Southern Ring Rd will be down to one lane eastbound at the Newport interchange for works

Updated: 20/09/2010 16:43:00
    These works will remain in place until Tues 28th Sept. Expect delays on approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement