Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Tragedy wrote: »
    I've been doing it in 1hr45mins on a good day lately, and I never go more than 10% over speed limit(and never go over speed limit on motorway).

There's no way you can do finnegans to the red cow in 1 hr 45min without speeding, even on a good day. I do this every week and its taking 2hrs on the nose without speeding. That's with an toll tag too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

slinky2000 wrote: »
    There's no way you can do finnegans to the red cow in 1 hr 45min without speeding, even on a good day. I do this every week and its taking 2hrs on the nose without speeding. That's with an toll tag too
    I've done it every 1-2 weeks for 2 years at this stage. It used to be 2hours with a good clear road, it's gone down to 1.45 since the last opening(nenagh to birdhill).

120(actual) on the M7, 109 on the N7, and I overtake a lot(record is 40 cars one bank holiday).

Actually, it used be 2hours 10mins for me to get from South Dublin(Jct13 M50) to Dock road at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Lads either ranting and raving or motors. This is for discussing nenagh-limerick road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Guys the thread is for discussion of the scheme only. Any more off topic posts will lead to infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Massive amount of activity there this morning on the small roundabout before Finnegans.. Cant wait for this road to open and I am saying multiple decades of the rosary that it will remain open..

Should we start a thread on estimates when it will have to close for repair.. I am setting my stall early and will go for around Christmas this year for first repair closure..:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

Massive amount of activity there this morning on the small roundabout before Finnegans.. Cant wait for this road to open and I am saying multiple decades of the rosary that it will remain open..

Should we start a thread on estimates when it will have to close for repair.. I am setting my stall early and will go for around Christmas this year for first repair closure..:p

I'm going to go for next June, when school's out.

Heard a good one the other day...
    ...someone was suggesting that signs be put up at either end of the bog, with the old Irish idiom...

"Go n-éirí an bóthar leat"

I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What annoyed me was and still does is the fact they are only now doing ancillary works on the section.

They are only now doing the landscaping around the onramp/offramps, crash barrier, ESB are working on something(well reading a newspaper in a van) and two guys are laying concrete footpaths.

Why now?

Why not 2 years ago?

Im off to Dublin Wednesday morning from Newport so I will miss out on this section but Im heading from Dublin to Thomond Park area Wednesday evening. I cannot to motor along the entire stretch and only need to exit at Coonagh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

Berty wrote: »
    What annoyed me was and still does is the fact they are only now doing ancillary works on the section.

They are only now doing the landscaping around the onramp/offramps, crash barrier, ESB are working on something(well reading a newspaper in a van) and two guys are laying concrete footpaths.

Why now?

Why not 2 years ago?

Im off to Dublin Wednesday morning from Newport so I will miss out on this section but Im heading from Dublin to Thomond Park area Wednesday evening. I cannot to motor along the entire stretch and only need to exit at Coonagh. :D

They were just getting to this stage of finishing when things went off the rails, with the Drominaboy "collapse". Perhaps, at no point since then have they had confidence that any remedial solution would actually work.
    In which case, it makes sense not to finish any ancillary work, until you're sure your solution is good.

It certainly has been frustrating though to wait yet another extra month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Im heading from Dublin to Thomond Park area Wednesday evening. I cannot wait to motor along the entire stretch and only need to exit at Coonagh. :D

We can do better than that for you sir! :D

How would you like to get off at Clonmacken?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Is there now a motorway running from the Dublin ring-road to Limerick - and open all the way?

If so, perhaps some kind person, who knows something about road engineering, will explain to me and other ignoramuses (or should the word be "ignoramusi"?) how the engineers have secured a stable roadway across the bog(s). If they built a bridge(s) across the bog(s), what supports the bridge or bridges? Do the supports of the bridge(s) (are such things called "stanstions"?) rest on firm ground at the bottom of the bog? If so, how did they get those supports built without excavating the bog at those points? Or did they excavate the bog at those points? If so, how did they prevent the other parts of the bog sliding into the excavated holes?

Please, everybody, excuse me for asking basic questions. What I know about road building, bridges or bogs is not worth knowing. I ask these questions so that, when another motorway under construction runs into a surprisiingly deep bog, we can have a better informed debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

topper75 wrote: »

Depends what she looks like...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

topper75 wrote: »

Nope, Im heading off at Coonagh exit or no exit.
    crucamim wrote: »
    Is there now a motorway running from the Dublin ring-road to Limerick - and open all the way?

If so, perhaps some kind person, who knows something about road engineering, will explain to me and other ignoramuses (or should the word be "ignoramusi"?) how the engineers have secured a stable roadway across the bog(s). If they built a bridge(s) across the bog(s), what supports the bridge or bridges? Do the supports of the bridge(s) (are such things called "stanstions"?) rest on firm ground at the bottom of the bog? If so, how did they get those supports built without excavating the bog at those points? Or did they excavate the bog at those points? If so, how did they prevent the other parts of the bog sliding into the excavated holes?

Please, everybody, excuse me for asking basic questions. What I know about road building, bridges or bogs is not worth knowing. I ask these questions so that, when another motorway under construction runs into a surprisiingly deep bog, we can have a better informed debate.

There was never a solution, just a pile of concrete "floating" over the bog supported by more piles to the sides of the floating deck. Basically they "hope"(we surmise because they wont tell us) that it wont crack and if it does they will simply not answer their phones.

Nope, Im heading off at Coonagh exit or no exit.

For 'Thomond Park area'?

Your petrol to burn as you choose I suppose.

Edit: I see you are quite right. That exit is officially the "Coonagh" exit!! LOL. But it doesn't leave you out at Coonagh! It leaves you out at Clonmacken!! I mistakenly thought you were going to head out to the end and try to double back into towards TP (not easy either!). Carry on.

Depends what she looks like...

Kind of housey/retailey parkey. It's not wrong. It's just ... different. I don't judge you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

crucamim wrote: »

No, when this section is opened tomorrow there'll be one more section left (Castletown to Nenagh) which is supposed to open at the end of the year (there's a thread on it in this forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

Its gr8 for it to be opening, a couple of months ago this day looked a long long way off. Lets be optimistic and say it wont be closing again. positive positive

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

A sign on the motorway approaching the Birdhill exit (J27) tonight is advising that the Birdhill-Limerick section will open at 6pm Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

A sign on the motorway approaching the Birdhill exit (J27) tonight is advising that the Birdhill-Limerick section will open at 6pm Tuesday.

I guess that will give Cowan time to get over the hangover from the nightout in Limerick tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

After rushhour-how handy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

From the AA website, details of the section opening.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=114227

On Tues 28th Sept a 12.5km stretch of the M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd between Birdhill and Annacotty will open from approx 6pm
    Updated: 28/09/2010 18:54:00
    This will complete the 38km section between Limerick and Nenagh, it will greatly improve travel times for the 20,000 vehicles using this route every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats ridiculous opening it that late!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Late but understandable.

At the tie in at Finnegan's, I passed it last night late and they have a good few hours work to do to take down signs, reinstate Dublin on the big blue sign, bits and pieces, so it makes sense really.

It'll open....have patience. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AlanD wrote: »
    Late but understandable.

personally don't think any road should be opened an hour before dark, open them in the morning when you have a full day of daylight to iron out any kinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillyboy

I wonder if the delay has anything to do with a planned protest by Kellys of Fantane that I got wind of last week over non-payment of bills? This morning a line of Kelly's cement lorries were lined up on the entrance to the motorway from the Castleconnel roundabout where the Limerick city traffice will join the new section. The guards were there too. I will take a spin up later and see if they are still there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sillyboy wrote: »
    I wonder if the delay has anything to do with a planned protest by Kellys of Fantane that I got wind of last week over non-payment of bills? This morning a line of Kelly's cement lorries were lined up on the entrance to the motorway from the Castleconnel roundabout where the Limerick city traffice will join the new section. The guards were there too. I will take a spin up later and see if they are still there.

saw that too, thought it was strange to have cement trucks on a road due to open that day, cheers for the explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dergside

With the opening now, almost literally, in sight, I think its appropriate to say thanks to a core of peple that have been active on this thread and helped to make it so informative (and entertaining).

There are people that have been trying to keep the NRA, politicians, contracors, etc. honest through e-mail and other written communications, people that have taken the time to gather photo's of progress and people that have walked various sections to give eye-witness accounts of activity and progress.

Its a great example of the power of the web and people with a common interest.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

It is worth reading this press release from the NRA, dated December 2006:

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/2006/htmltext,8988,en.html

Just to put the delay in context, almost four years later, but at long last it is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sillyboy

I can confirm that the Kelly's of Fantane lorries are now parked across the motorway just after the entrance from Castleconnell roundabout blocking all access eastbound at least. I assume something similar will be in place at the Birdhill end of the new section for westbound traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

dergside wrote: »
    With the opening now, almost literally, in sight, I think its appropriate to say thanks to a core of peple that have been active on this thread and helped to make it so informative (and entertaining).

There are people that have been trying to keep the NRA, politicians, contracors, etc. honest through e-mail and other written communications, people that have taken the time to gather photo's of progress and people that have walked various sections to give eye-witness accounts of activity and progress.

Its a great example of the power of the web and people with a common interest.

Thank you.

Well said,

It was always good to know I am not the only person obsessed with roads. Great to see it finally open, thanks for all the efforts in keeping this thread alive and well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I could of sworn that on the 1 o'clock news today they said it was opening within the hour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement