Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any updates on the Kellys protest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sillyboy wrote: »
    I can confirm that the Kelly's of Fantane lorries are now parked across the motorway just after the entrance from Castleconnell roundabout blocking all access eastbound at least. I assume something similar will be in place at the Birdhill end of the new section for westbound traffic.

so to make their point, they block the average user. why block me from getting home, i don't owe Kelly's any money..

why didn't they block hibernian from removing their equipment over the last few weeks instead, but no press there and because it wasn't a public road yet hibernian could probably just have pushed them out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

Just passed the Entrance to the motorway at Finnegans, The Kellys trucks that were there at 1 pm and blocking the motorway are gone as of 1:30pm.. Looks like it is ready to rock and roll.. I think there will be traffic on it well before 6 as the only thing stopping access now is a single Ban Garda.. WOOO HOOO Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

.. I think there will be traffic on it well before 6 as the only thing stopping access now is a single Bán Garda.. WOOO HOOO Happy Days

Wonder whats she's protesting about ???.......... ya happy days indeed - cant wait for a spin later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

the only thing stopping access now is a single Bán Garda

Why is the Guard's skin colour important?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

the only thing stopping access now is a single Bán Garda.. WOOO HOOO Happy Days

What has he/she being white got to do with anything?

Edit: mackerski beat me to it.

gryff wrote: »
    cant wait for a spin later.

me too, this opening will now mean 90% of my 40 mile (round trip)commute every day will be motorway..misgivings about the delays and construction process aside, it's opening is a huge boost to the area

mossym wrote: »
    me too, this opening will now mean 90% of my 40 mile (round trip)commute every day will be motorway..misgivings about the delays and construction process, it's opening is a huge boost to the area
    I'll be campaigning soon for the link road between the M7 and Birdhill to be upgraded to motorway standard..........luv the steak and kidney pies in Matt the threshers...

must google earth this area - would a new road from the Birdhill interchange to Newport make sense ..?

I'll be campaigning soon for the link road between the M7 and Birdhill to be upgraded to motorway standard..........luv the steak and kidney pies in Matt the threshers...

must google earth this area - would a new road from the Birdhill interchange to Newport make sense ..?

all 1 mile of it??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

would a new road from the Birdhill interchange to Newport make sense ..?

Yes. A link rd from the Birdhill interchange to the Ballinahinch rd has been mentioned previously and would only last 1km. A bit of a steep climb to the road but narrow single carriageway will suffice and it should be done IMO.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Yes. A link rd from the Birdhill interchange to the Ballinahinch rd has been mentioned previously and would only last 1km. A bit of a steep climb to the road but narrow single carriageway will suffice and it should be done IMO.

that road isn't any better than the existing road from birdhill, what would be the point?

edit, i guess distance only?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just passed the Entrance to the motorway at Finnegans, The Kellys trucks that were there at 1 pm and blocking the motorway are gone as of 1:30pm.. Looks like it is ready to rock and roll.. I think there will be traffic on it well before 6 as the only thing stopping access now is a single Bán Garda.. WOOO HOOO Happy Days

Good news!

that road isn't any better than the existing road from birdhill, what would be the point?

edit, i guess distance only?

Easier access from Newport/Ballinahinch and surrounding area. I tried to get to the N7 from there a few weeks ago and roads are god awful to the N7.

I wonder how long will it take from Finnegans roundabout to Nenagh once the motorway is opened later?

that road isn't any better than the existing road from birdhill, what ywould be the point?
    the old road ends next to the pub in Birdhill and (historically anyway) was difficult to turn right onto the N7... presume this will be a lot easier once the M7 is open... I dunno - its just that spare exist at the roundabout on the interchange is begging for a JCB to plough across the field vaguely in the direction of Newport...

I wonder how long will it take from Finnegans roundabout to Nenagh once the motorway is opened later?

20 minutes Id wager.... 25 miles in round numbers = 40 klix.. @120 kmph = 1/3 of an hour... one quick sec with the bean counter here... 20 mins!..

Easier access from Newport/Ballinahinch and surrounding area. I tried to get to the N7 from there a few weeks ago and roads are god awful to the N7.

that ballinahinch road isn't much better

majority of newport traffic will be heading for limerick, meaning the newport/finnegans roundabout is still the best bet.

any link road from ballinahinch to the M7 ould only make sense if the ballinahich road was also updated, and in doing that how much traffic would is service, given there are already existing roads, however bad? how much traffic is newport-> M7 northbound every day?? not enough to justify that cost at a guess

the old road ends next to the pub in Birdhill and (historically anyway) was difficult to turn right onto the N7... presume this will be a lot easier once the M7 is open... I dunno - its just that spare exist at the roundabout on the interchange is begging for a JCB to plough across the field vaguely in the direction of Newport...

i know mate, i went to primary school in Birdhill up the newport road:)

if you wanted to do a proper road, go off at cooleen where the motorway passes the primary school, and you'd only have a two/three mile run to newport directly, better option IMHO

that ballinahinch road isn't much better

majority of newport traffic will be heading for limerick, meaning the newport/finnegans roundabout is still the best bet.

any link road from ballinahinch to the M7 ould only make sense if the ballinahich road was also updated, and in doing that how much traffic would is service, given there are already existing roads, however bad? how much traffic is newport-> M7 northbound every day?? not enough to justify that cost at a guess

Good point actually the ballinahinch rd is not good standard but would make the distance shorter for traffic rather than going through Birdhill. Probably a cheap county council job sometime in the next 10 years!!

More articles on the opening:
    New €425m motorway to open

The M7 Nenagh to Limerick motorway, part of which sank into bog, will be opened by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey today.

The 38km stretch of road will result in time savings for the 20,000 vehicles travelling between Limerick and Nenagh every day.

The €425 million project consisted of 28km of dual carriageway built to motorway standard, with a single carriageway link to the main road at Birdhill, and the upgrading of 10km of the Nenagh bypass to motorway standard.

About 25km of this project has been completed and is open to traffic, including a 16km length of road between Nenagh and Birdhill.

The 12.5km section of the Motorway, from Birdhill to Annacotty, will open to traffic for the first time by 6pm today.

The construction of the project was contracted to Bothar Hibernian four years ago, but the contractors ran into serious difficulties when a section of road collapsed earlier this year.

The difficulties arose at Anaholty bog, about midway between Birdhill and Annacotty, where the road – which was almost complete by the end of last year – unexpectedly started to sink into the bog.

Tens of thousands of steel reinforced concrete piles were initially driven into the bog in an effort to support the road, and a concrete and steel bridge has also been constructed to establish a stable base for the road.

The final section of the M7, from Castletown in Co Laois to Nenagh, will open later this year completing the M7 Inter Urban Motorway between Limerick and Dublin.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Just passed the Entrance to the motorway at Finnegans, The Kellys trucks that were there at 1 pm and blocking the motorway are gone as of 1:30pm.. Looks like it is ready to rock and roll.. I think there will be traffic on it well before 6 as the only thing stopping access now is a single Bán Garda.. WOOO HOOO Happy Days

Excellent, I'm heading down after work for a look :P I'll be there just after 5.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Does anyone know where and when the opening ceremony will take place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

As soon as someone has the guts to run down that Garda I guess. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ki wrote: »
    Does anyone know where and when the opening ceremony will take place?

There is none to the best of my knowledge, considering the other section was already officially opened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is none to the best of my knowledge, considering the other section was already officially opened.
    Dempsey Battman O Keefe and Cowen will be there around 4 I hears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A quick q for Furet (off topic here)

Would it be above board to start a thread to track Dempseys empty promises (without the obvious "go suck a lemon Noel" and "quit already" comments that we all have in our heads for him)

If not, thats cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

just took the roundabout in newport dir. and still not open!!:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Berty wrote: »
    Nope, Im heading off at Coonagh exit or no exit.

There was never a solution, just a pile of concrete "floating" over the bog supported by more piles to the sides of the floating deck. Basically they "hope"(we surmise because they wont tell us) that it wont crack and if it does they will simply not answer their phones.

How can concrete float on a bog? Is it saturated with pockets of air?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ocallm

Not open until after 6pm according to NRA...

ocallm wrote: »
    Not open until after 6pm according to NRA...

be leaving work in raheen at 5.45 ish..should be hitting it right at 6....do i think it'll be open? highly unlikely!!

and i just mean it will be late, not that it won't open, i don't think anything in this country happens on time, i'd love to be proved wrong

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

AA Ireland just tweeted that it is now open :D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

be leaving work in raheen at 5.45 ish..should be hitting it right at 6....do i think it'll be open? highly unlikely!!

and i just mean it will be late, not that it won't open, i don't think anything in this country happens on time, i'd love to be proved wrong

I hope you arent that Learner driver in the blue car with the crack in the window.
    The one that always comes out of that estate about that time and does 50km/h on the motorway onramp. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement