Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

koth wrote: »
    AA Ireland just tweeted that it is now open :D

see i said it wouldn't open on time...:D:D

great news, will be driving it in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

HURRAH!

Jumpy wrote: »
    I hope you arent that Learner driver in the blue car with the crack in the window.
    The one that always comes out of that estate about that time and does 50km/h on the motorway onramp.

nope.....

i got the crack fixed at the weekend...

it's not me btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

from http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,17303,en.html

Tuesday, 28th September 2010: The Minister for Transport, Mr. Noel Dempsey T.D. will today officially open the 38km M7 Nenagh to Limerick Motorway that will result in safer journeys and time savings for the 20,000 vehicles travelling between Limerick and Nenagh every day. The €424 million project was funded by the Irish exchequer under the National Development Plan and Transport 21 and by the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund. The 12.5km section of the Motorway, from Birdhill to Annacotty, will open to traffic for the first time by 6pm today. The final section of the M7, from Castletown in Co Laois to Nenagh, will open later this year completing the M7 Inter Urban Motorway between Limerick and Dublin.

“The new 38km section of the M7 motorway between Nenagh and Limerick is another major step in improving road safety by removing high volumes of traffic from serious accident locations such as Daly’s Cross and Yellow Bridge,” said Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D., Minister for Transport. “The transformation of road infrastructure throughout Ireland over the last few years has been enormous and it will offer a significant return on investment for generations to come.”
    “The opening of the M7 Nenagh to Limerick scheme brings us one step closer to the completion of the M7 Dublin to Limerick inter-urban motorway,” said Fred Barry, CEO, National Roads Authority. “This new section of motorway improves overall road safety and assists in providing consistent journey times.”
    The project included the construction of sections of Motorway through both the Annaholty and Drominboy Bogs, which comprised approximately 10% of the total length of new Motorway on this project. Tried and tested techniques, including the use of piled embankments, were employed to construct almost 3.5km of new Motorway through these Bogs. In recent months the Contractor had to carry out remedial works within parts of a 100m long section of piled embankment necessitating the replacement of a relatively small number of piles and the construction of a reinforced concrete slab over the length of the section. The Contractor was responsible for both the design and construction of the project including any works undertaken within the Bogs.
    “I am delighted to welcome the opening of the M7 Nenagh to Limerick Motorway. I trust that this new motorway will improve Limerick's opportunities both as a location for foreign inward investment and also encourage even more tourists to visit our great County,” said Cllr. Richard Butler, Cathaoirleach, Limerick County Council “Limerick should be seen as an example given the extent of the roads infrastructure delivered during the Celtic Tiger era.”
    “On behalf of the people of North Tipperary I welcome the opening of this section of the M7 linking Nenagh to Limerick by Motorway. The completion of this phase will enhance North Tipperary’s strategic position as a location for investment,” said Cllr. John Kennedy, Mayor, North Tipperary County Council.
    Features of the M7 Nenagh to Limerick Motorway:-
    •Commences at the northern end of the Nenagh Bypass; joins the M7 Limerick Southern Ring Road at Annacotty
    •Bypasses Birdhill, Daly’s Cross and the Lisnagry rail level crossing
    •25.5km of the scheme already open to traffic including the most recent section between Nenagh and Birdhill which was opened in April earlier this year
    •4 interchanges at Thurles Road east of Nenagh, Carrigatogher south of Nenagh, Birdhill and Newport Road, Annacotty.
    •29 bridges, including 3 rail underbridges

The M7 Nenagh to Limerick Motorway is situated in both County Limerick and North Tipperary. Limerick County Council undertook the role of Lead Authority for the delivery of the project on behalf of both North Tipperary and Limerick County Council, and the National Roads Authority. Limerick County Council awarded the Design and Build Contract to Bóthar Hibernian N7 JV, a consortium comprising Irish firms Michael McNamara & Company, Coffey Construction Ltd and Portuguese firm Mota-Engil Engenharia e Construcao S.A. Construction commenced in January 2007.
    Benefits
    •Improves access to Limerick City and County, the Mid-West Region and the Nenagh area of County Tipperary, thus contributing towards tourism and economic development.
    •It is another section in the Dublin to Limerick Major Interurban (MIU) Corridor, facilitating safer, faster and more reliable journeys between both cities.
    •Removes congestion and improves safety and quality of life in Daly’s Cross and Birdhill.
    •Improves safety and journey times for both road and rail travellers by bypassing the Level Crossing at Lisnagry.
    •Reduces commuting time for those working / doing business in Nenagh and Limerick.
    •Better connects the Mid-West region to Dublin, the midlands, and eastern and northern areas of the country through a high quality reliable road transport corridor.
    •Contributes towards competitiveness of the Mid-West region and paves the way for increased economic growth and prosperity.
    •Contributes towards the Government’s Road Safety Strategy.

For further information: Sean O’Neill, National Roads Authority, 086-823 0600

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Finally, the nightmare is officially over. Happy motoring everyone. Hoo rah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

No more cycling :( *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alf63

I've finally just joined boards.ie (having spied on you from afar for several years, not saying anything) to say this regarding the new bit of M/N7....

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

koth wrote: »
    AA Ireland just tweeted that it is now open :D
    they (AA) just anounced it on the radio - should be interesting to hear how the drive home is tonight from those who go that way..!!
    Ill be queing for the roundabout at Finnegans in the morning-wonder will it be better or worse ?

gryff wrote: »
    they (AA) just anounced it on the radio - should be interesting to hear how the drive home is tonight from those who go that way..!!
    Ill be queing for the roundabout at Finnegans in the morning-wonder will it be better or worse ?

i'll let you know as soon as i get home...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I will be too, coming from the Raheen side of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Mc Love wrote: »
    I will be too, coming from the Raheen side of it
    Ye guys should be car-pooling and using bio-fuels and all that...:D
    The spot light on Nenagh - Castletown just got turned up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ye guys should be car-pooling and using bio-fuels and all that...:D
    The spot light on Nenagh - Castletown just got turned up !!

I was quoting you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Once again Thanks to all of you for your updates on this section I read it almost daily. It was especially needed on this scheme given all the problems and the almost total lack of information available in the media.

This section and the M9 are going to make a nice difference to me personally. If the Roscrea section was open I would deffinately avoid the horrendious N52 Birr/Neenagh but at the moment while its a better road via Roscrea its slightly quicker via the N52.

Cheers Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Big difference at Finnegans only 4/5 cars in the queue at the Newport roundabout at 5:30 ish.:D

Overall a nice drive, pretty smooth with the odd bumpy bit.

The section going through the bog really is miserable looking, but it looks like they've started some planting in the area.

The sculpture piece just after the bog isn't really up to much, 3 or 4 rusty bits of steel sticking from the ground with a picture of what looks like a bull on top, but then what do I know ,I'm no artist

Old Crankypants from Matt The Thresher managed to get an offical road sign at Jn 27 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Just done limerick to nenagh, so on ramp at finnegans to birdhill turn off in 5min 30 sec and then limerick to the end at the roadworks at nenagh in 16min 38sec

As said before, bog section really isn't up to much, it's quite bumpy and rough

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

slinky2000 wrote: »

Did raheen industrial estate to Far side of Nenagh in just over 30 mins. That is impressive considering it used to take me over an hour before Childers road was bypassed.

irelandjoe wrote: »
    Did raheen industrial estate to Far side of Nenagh in just over 30 mins. That is impressive considering it used to take me over an hour before Childers road was bypassed.

industrial estate to birdhill exit in 14 minutes, home in 24, at rush hour...bravo the newest section of the m7....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

slinky2000 wrote: »

Which bog section ?? There are 2 of them. Anyway not an issue unless it rapidly gets bumpier and rougher :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Which bog section ?? There are 2 of them. Anyway not an issue unless it rapidly gets bumpier and rougher :)

Sorry it's the bit they where last working on that collapsed. Annaholty is it?

Finnegans was empty just after 5.30 too. Excellent! I'll look forward to seeing what it'ss like on a friday evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

I've been lurking this forum for about a year waiting for this road to open, and I joined just to say thanks to everyone for the updates. I remember when I travelled up to Dublin not all that many years ago, and it could sometimes take over an hour from Limerick to get past Nenagh, so being able to make that journey today in less than 25 minutes was a great experience.

Now let's hope they find the funding for the M20 and Adare bypass, and the N21 Abbeyfeale to Adare 2+2, and the N24 2+2 all the way to Waterford, and the...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

TheGodBen wrote: »
    I've been lurking this forum for about a year waiting for this road to open, and I joined just to say thanks to everyone for the updates. I remember when I travelled up to Dublin not all that many years ago, and it could sometimes take over an hour from Limerick to get past Nenagh, so being able to make that journey today in less than 25 minutes was a great experience.

Now let's hope they find the funding for the M20 and Adare bypass, and the N21 Abbeyfeale to Adare 2+2, and the N24 2+2 all the way to Waterford, and the...

+1. Welcome to Boards btw. This is a very important day for this forum and the posters!!!! These posts will be historical documents in time!!!. Safe journey to all on the new road...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

There were times when I thought this day would never come. Declan30 created a monster thread when he made the first post back in 2008. Little did we know then that we'd have bogs of doom, sinking piles and sage locals all spelling or predicting disaster for this road. I bet the contractors are relieved.
    All eyes on the Castletown-Nenagh scheme now, the paddy-last of the interurban motorway sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

Would like to show my appreciation to all those who regularly gave updates and pictures on this forum. I have been travelling the road from Dublin to Kerry every 2 weeks for the last 9 years and I’ve seen some gr8 developments on the road structure and reductions of time. None of the sections were as frustrating as this one and only for this forum it would have been allot worse. It was frustrating the lack of information from our media, our politicians, and the NRA. The near daily updates from people walking, cycling, quading (if that’s the correct name for itJ) on the section were of great comfort and calmed the ever growing annoyance. Thanks again. Next target nenagh to castletown:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I must go on the road in a while to see this for my own eyes. Didnt think this thread would have ever reached over 2000's posts this time last year!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

Went out of my way this evening to drive it. Road itself is pretty bumby and the landscaping is pretty miserable but it doesnt matter as previous posts say, you can for from Limerick to Nenagh in 20 mins.

Delighted the road is opening and thanks to all the trespassers over the last few months who took pix, provided updates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

d1980 they weren't trespassers ;) they were energetic journalists:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

d1980 wrote: »
    Road itself is pretty bumby and the landscaping is pretty miserable but it doesnt matter as previous posts say, you can for from Limerick to Nenagh in 20 mins.

Great as it is that the road is open, it definitely does matter that the landscaping is so poor. It is absolutely vile as it is and cannot be allowed to mark the approach to Limerick for the next few years. Aesthetics are not the be all and end all, but they do matter. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

Furet wrote: »
    Great as it is that the road is open, it definitely does matter that the landscaping is so poor. It is absolutely vile as it is and cannot be allowed to mark the approach to Limerick for the next few years. Aesthetics are not the be all and end all, but they do matter. ;)
    I agree but my joy with the road being open has blinded my initial distaste for landscaping. The Nenagh to Birdhill section is a lot more scenic but as you approach castletroy and dotted along the ring road are timber fences which are used to reduce noise.

I dont think i saw it but was there a 'Welcome to Limerick' sign as you come into Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Just drove the road there. On the plus side it's great that there is now continuous motorway from the SRR to Nenagh.

Although the road is a little bumpy it was generally ok until I hit a mother of a bump on the northbound carriageway in the normal driving lane. Did anyone else notice this one it's one severe bump which should be sorted soon as possible. Fair enough it's okay in the day but in the dark it's hard to see how smooth the surface is ahead of you. I didnt see the landscaping but will have a look tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement