Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gluten free diet

• 12-11-2008 3:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i just found i am allergic to wheat and yeast. I have to avoid bread, alcohol. However i want to keep drinking so what should i stick to? someone said cider. is there any other beers i can take?

What foods are recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

well my doc told me vodka and gin are A-OK!

you can get gluten and yeast free bread in dunnes too if you keep an eye out! not sure if there would be wheat in it!

i feel your pain brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hello Bob Z, You are not alone. It takes a while to get use to but I was told almost 3 years ago I'm allergic to wheat and I feel so much better, no bloating, stomach craps or always running to the loo. The coealic (sic) society website is a great source of information and they have links to various health food website.

Tesco do a great range of allergy foods called Free From, Dunnes carry a range called Mulligan's and Superquinn have a range called Trufree.
    Dunnes, Tesco and Superquinn all have ranges called Livwell and Dietary Specials. The downside is these products are expensive.

Unfortunately, there's yeast in Ciders, Beers and Stouts. Vodka and Gin are the safest options. Beware of gravy and stock as they often contain yeast. Just Boullion are a range of yeast free stock cubes.

If you have any questions or just want to chat PM me.

SG x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Slaygal wrote: »
    Hello Bob Z, You are not alone. It takes a while to get use to but I was told almost 3 years ago I'm allergic to wheat and I feel so much better, no bloating, stomach craps or always running to the loo. The coealic (sic) society website is a great source of information and they have links to various health food website.

This exactly my what i was like.

Recently there was no gluten free bread in the house so i went back to ordinary bread. Right away my face went all puffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

king-stew wrote: »
    well my doc told me vodka and gin are A-OK!

you can get gluten and yeast free bread in dunnes too if you keep an eye out! not sure if there would be wheat in it!

i feel your pain brother!

I like to go to the pub at the weekend but i cant imagine my self drinking gin or vodka or wine all night. i would be drunk in no time!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm intolerant to wheat so I can eat it but it makes me feel ill. Aldi do 100% rye bread, it's an acquired taste but is quite tasty when toasted. Superquinn do a spelt bread which is the closest I've ever tasted to wheat bread. IMO I've never tasted a nice gluten free bread. Most of them taste like cardboard. Having said that I don't know if there's yeast in these.

Spelt pasta is great - it's got the same texture as wheat pasta.

I eat lots of rice, basmati in particular.

Oat biscuits are a great standby and nairns do sweet ones which are a great substitute for biscuits.

I bake cakes using gluten free flour and for the most part you'd never guess that they were wheat free.

You can also bake your own bread - spelt bread is very nice.

I suffer badly after drinking beer and wine can affect me too sometimes. I never have any nasty side effects (except a hangover maybe :p) from drinking vodka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Bob Z wrote: »
    I like to go to the pub at the weekend but i cant imagine my self drinking gin or vodka or wine all night. i would be drunk in no time!!:D
    I'm the opposite, 3 pints of beer and I'm pished but I could easily drink 8 vodkas and feel fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Might find this blog useful - has been shortlisted for blog of the year a few times:

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Lucky you, I can't have Buckwheat, Bulgar Wheat or Spelt cos my stomach blows up and I look like I'm heavily pregnant :( I stick to the maize and rice pasta. I find the gluten free bread tastes much better if you toast it. If you eat it straight out the packet it's like eating cardboard. Soul Bakery in Clonsilla do a fantatisic Brown Soda Bread made from Spelt, Soul usually have stalls at the various markets around the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

My ceoliac mate only drinks vodka

Advertisement