Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My First City Game

• 12-11-2008 7:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

From MCFC.co.uk -
    My First City Game

Manchester City FC is proud to announce it has launched a campaign to fill the City of Manchester Stadium with fans’ memories of their very first City game.

My First City Game will put the supporters at the very centre of the City of Manchester Stadium, and celebrate the history of the club through the eyes of the fans.

Fans of all ages are encouraged to submit their memories, where they will permanently reside in a specially developed interactive forum on this site www.mcfc.co.uk/myfirstcitygame. Whether this was in the 1960s or at last weekend’s game; at Maine Road, the City of Manchester Stadium or anywhere – we want to know about that particular day in your life. Where it was, who you were with, how you got there and maybe even what you ate; we’re looking for whatever it is that made that day unforgettable for you.

The club will review all submissions and select the most compelling memories to develop into a bright and vibrant collage that will fill the concourses throughout the entire stadium. My First City Game has also been developed to encourage new fans to submit their experiences following their first visit to City of Manchester Stadium, or another ground to see Manchester City. It is hoped that submissions from first time supporters will be made for every home game, through which fans continue to write the club’s history in coming years.

Garry Cook, MCFC Executive Chairman, says, “As our fans, you have always been the heartbeat of our club, and your support makes Manchester City the most special club in the world. We want to look to the future without ever forgetting the past, and it’s only right that we do this using the memories of those most important to the club. The City of Manchester Stadium is a fantastic facility; My First City Game will introduce even more personality and life to it, and help make it feel like the spiritual home of our club.”

City's Chairman, Khaldoon Al Mubarak has sent us his first City memory already, and we’re really looking forward to seeing some of yours on this site and in our magnificent stadium. To enter your memory, simply visit www.mcfc.co.uk/myfirstcitygame, and if you have a relevant digital image please upload it too.

I submitted mine today and think it's a fantastic idea. It has been really well received by fans so far. Already the names of season ticket holders are emblazoned on the stadium and this closes the gap even more between the fans and the club.

So do you think something like this is worthwhile? Or is it merely good PR designed to deflect from matters on the field?

What does your club do to interact with fans?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So do you think something like this is worthwhile? Or is it merely good PR designed to deflect from matters on the field?

Probably both! I think it's a pretty cool idea. But also one designed to reflect well on the club (not that I have a problem with that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

We own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

CiaranC wrote: »
    We own it.

This the same Bohs that we will now see go down under due to poor mismanagement by the fans ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anally rape us with bad aids at every given opportunity.

Seriously though, its a great idea. Sure, its a PR move to generate goodwill, but that shouldn't take anything away from it. Like I said, my own club treats the fans like pig sh/t. If its not Fat Freddy bragging to undercover reporters in brothels how we're all thick for paying what we do for jersyes, its Mike Ashley squeezing every pound out of us, giving us nothing in return, and dragging the club through the muck all over again.

I would love to see my own club (and hopefully it will when Fat Ash jogs on) make concerted efforts to involve the fans, and the community at large, with the club. Keeping an open line of dialog, not taking the piss with prices, and coming up with ideas such as City's to show a little gratitude to the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Wal-Mar FC Arsenal's interaction with fans comes at £90 a pop.
    For that, I'd want my l'il-ol'-me-at-the-Emirates yarn on a brass plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sarge wrote: »
    This the same Bohs that we will now see go down under due to poor mismanagement by the fans ?
    No, it is one of the two premier clubs prudently run this season. And it isnt UCD.

Sarge wrote: »
    Let's know when you're offering your next master class in good mismanagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't help thinking it has something to do with either the poor showing on the field, or maybe assuaging fan's fears.

That said, any move by a premiership club to acknowledge the importance of their long-term fans is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

SectionF wrote: »
    Wal-Mar FC Arsenal's interaction with fans comes at £90 a pop.
    For that, I'd want my l'il-ol'-me-at-the-Emirates yarn on a brass plate.

People get what they pay for. English PL football is considered by most to be of a much higher standard than lower divisions, and Irish football. Hence, it is more expensive. What about this is so hard to understand? People pay over the odds for things every day, its their own choice.

Obviously fans of English clubs would prefer the prices to be considerably lower, but as with most things, if the demand is there the club can pretty much ask what they want for tickets. United tickets aren't that expensive, although 100% of games are a sell-out. They could charge much more for tickets and still sell-out, but they don't.

Back OT, I think anything that includes the fans more is a good idea, PR stunt or otherwise.

roryc wrote: »
    People get what they pay for. English PL football is considered by most to be of a much higher standard than lower divisions, and Irish football. Hence, it is more expensive. What about this is so hard to understand? People pay over the odds for things every day, its their own choice.

Obviously fans of English clubs would prefer the prices to be considerably lower, but as with most things, if the demand is there the club can pretty much ask what they want for tickets. United tickets aren't that expensive, although 100% of games are a sell-out. They could charge much more for tickets and still sell-out, but they don't.

Back OT, I think anything that includes the fans more is a good idea, PR stunt or otherwise.
    I think the point of the linked piece is not that there aren't enough people willing to pay, or that the standard isn't the highest in the world. It is that it is no longer the traditional/geographic supporter base that is being accommodated, and that the pure market logic, as in 'people get what they pay for' is killing smaller clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spend a year trying to sell me a £4k history of the club (36 easy monthly installments at a very competitive interest rate)...and that's the cheap version, the most expensive is £10k :eek:

They did give me a free flag at Wembley mind, but then my season ticket (home+away) went up by £100 to compensate...;)

The cynic in me thinks the emphasis on first-time visitors to the CoM suggests the bods who market the club realise there will be an increase in day trippers due to the oil money, but they need to be retained as much as your old skool brigade. It's a nice gesture.

Still, I reckon all clubs should be going down the kids for a quid road for early rounds of the cups to attract the fans of the future. Costs an arm and a leg for mates of mine to bring their kids to Spurs...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Still, I reckon all clubs should be going down the kids for a quid road for early rounds of the cups to attract the fans of the future. Costs an arm and a leg for mates of mine to bring their kids to Spurs...:(

I remember Everton doing this in the Carling cup over the past few years... £5 in for a child under 14 if accompanied by an adult I think it was... Not bad..

With regards to the Man City first time idea... I like it. Nice idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

boro tried it and couldnt get 11000 to a uefa cup match.

which is pretty poor showing.

i think kids should get in cheap anyway, regardless of what match it is.

boro tried it and couldnt get 11000 to a uefa cup match.

Boro have the sh1test fans in England, which is a surprise cos if I lived in that smoggy kip I think I'd be only too willing to brave the icy Tees wind on the long walk up to the Riverside for 90mins distraction from my dreary life.

Charlton's hardy band of away fans (all 13 of them) push Boro all the way.

Boro have the sh1test fans in England, which is a surprise cos if I lived in that smoggy kip I think I'd be only too willing to brave the icy Tees wind on the long walk up to the Riverside for 90mins distraction from my dreary life.

Charlton's hardy band of away fans (all 13 of them) push Boro all the way.

Also the poorest area in England, so its one of the reasons they never get a full house...

Newcastle and Sunderland are but a stones throw away and do better.

There's plenty of areas in England that are seriously run down yet get better crowds.

I hate Boro.

Bohemians regularly run Kids Go Free promotions.

Newcastle and Sunderland are but a stones throw away and do better.

There's plenty of areas in England that are seriously run down yet get better crowds.

I hate Boro.

I'm referring to a whitepaper that was recently released by the UK government. Worst place and poorest place in the UK was Boro. Google it and i'm sure you'll find it somewhere.

Newcastle get big crowds as they are the only team in a big city. Sunderland only get good crowds if they are doing well. I remember the last time they were in the premier league and the ground was generally half empty for most games..

Boro are always mediocre, which is never exciting to watch and it is one of the poorest parts of the UK, hence the crappy crowds they get.

Advertisement