Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie: It's not for the ladies lounge.

Options
  • 12-11-2008 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Morning ladies. You know that Yorkie chocolate bar slogan that goes Yorkie: It's not for girls Does it offend you that they have excluded more than half of the worlds population or do you just breezily laugh it off with an "Oh those silly boys and their silly marketing idea's"

Do you deliberately go out of your way to buy a Yorkie in defiance of the rather sexist slogan or do you sort of agree with them and buy a more lady like chocolate bar like a Turkish Delight or Bounty?

Yorkie: It's not for girls 51 votes

I'll eat whatever chocolate bar I damn well want.
    0%
    I don't like Yorkies anyway so it doesn't matter
    56%
    NevynTreerainbow kirbywasabiMillie445279.ieweederroberta cjellieDudessAisling(",)OrleethemadchefbarbiegirlJules[Deleted User]WindSocksam34mental07Clare Bear 29 votes
    Don't care for them but will eat one in defiance.
    13%
    UnknownZaphg'emStatsobombjack2WeidiiLittleBear 7 votes
    Love Yorkies. The sexists won't stop me.
    7%
    cheerionasherpsycho-hopeKya1976 4 votes
    Who the hell is Yorkie?
    21%
    aviendhabigpinkelephantPigheadstovelidCrumble FrooCatari JaguarLadyERubyXIChewChewJaneyMcbnagrrl 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Pighead wrote: »
    Does it offend you that they have excluded more than half of the worlds population or do you just breezily laugh it off with an "Oh those silly boys and their silly marketing idea's"
    Meh, not so much. Sure aren't there gazillions of chocolate bars that target women? Galaxy, those new Kit Kat whatsits with those wans from Girls Aloud prancing around in the ad - it would be a a bit of simple knicker twisting then, surely, to get hot and bothered over the Yorkie marketing ploy. Besides, I'm of the opinion that the folks behind Yorkie had to come up with something vaguely controversial to sell their chocolate because it tastes foul. Good chocolate requires no media circus to be bought.

What about you Pighead? Do you feel constrained to only eat confectionary that's deemed manly enough by popular media?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    *drool* ...purple Yorkie... mmmmmmm
    *heads off to vending machine*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    g'em wrote: »
    What about you Pighead? Do you feel constrained to only eat confectionary that's deemed manly enough by popular media?
    To be honest, YES! When at home Pighead will gladly eat those delicious Kellogs Nutri-Grain Soft Bake strawberry flavoured bars (with added calcium) but when in the company of male friends it's Toblerones and Testosterone all the way.

Pighead's MP3 player broke last week and he borrowed his girlfriends Creative Zen thingy. Her PINK Creative Zen thingy. Was walking around town yesterday and had the thing wrapped up in a brown plastic bag buried deep in my deepest pocket. Was extra careful whilst walking in case of involvement in a road traffic accident thus leading to discovery of PINK Creative Zen player by the doctor and severe loss of face.

Sounds like Pigheads overcompensating for something. Perhaps he should become more like you g'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Pighead, pay no mind to the petty individuals who would scorn a man for carrying a pink accessory, for they are sad of life and lost of soul. Be liberated in your food choices - embrace the strawberry calcium enriched goodness and eat it with pride, show the world that you are a man not afraid to take care of his bones and do so with a hint of antioxidant-rich berry tastiness.

Stand tall and proud Piggy, for they who do not understand you are not worth your time to understand or care of. Rebel against the false morals and standards bestowed on our genders by the money-hungry media moguls, whose only selfish interest is deepening their own pockets.

Lead by example Pighead, wear that pink Zen on your hip and turn it up full volume - show the rest of the men of this sorry world how its done.

A tip though, if you have the Sugababes/ Natasha Bedingfield/ aforementioned Girls Aloud on your playlist it might be worth having easy access to the volume control, there's no point in inviting a thumping :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I miss yellow yorkies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like raisin & biscuit ones. But I hate to think people are thinking that I'm only buying it to eat in defiance. I just like them, morkeshing or not.
    I don't understand how there are women that compain about the ad though. There are greater things to fight for than ad for chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

yorkie threads, wispa threads, why does reading boards always end up with me wanting chocolate..? :(

raisin & biscuit yorkies = yum :D

i didnt realise they were still doing the "not for girls" stuff, must have become immune to it. i remember thinking it was funny years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    I but em when I want em. I didn't even realise it was still their slogan tbh.

I love the purple ones, and I wish they would bring back yellow ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Yellow ones where the honeycomb ones...right? I love eating a bit of the raisin and biscuit one and some hula hoops at the same time, taste is yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I love Yorkies, the first time I saw the slogan I was laughing but thinking "feck them".
    Now I just stab the little guy on the bar wrapper with my pen...that is of course after I have eaten every morsel of my lovely Yorkie :D

• Advertisement

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    When Yorkie first ran with the slogan there were actually riots on the streets of Britain
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1941327.stm
    They seem to have accepted it now though. Have any ladies actually asked for a yorkie bar and been refused by the shopkeeper because of the femininity of their gender?

No!!!!
    The yellow ones had lots of almonds in them, such tasty nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That slogan is only a bit of fun ffs - and by "girls" they might also be referring to girly men.

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    Dudess wrote: »
    That slogan is only a bit of fun ffs - and by "girls" they might also be referring to girly men.
    These adverts start out as fun but eventually they permeate into our brains and subconciously make our minds up for us. It's why Pighead shall never ever take out car or home insurance with Sheila's Wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    my god, i miss yorkies.

they are awesome. and not to be kept in handbags, they are to be eaten upon purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

my god, i miss yorkies.

they are awesome. and not to be kept in handbags, they are to be eaten upon purchase.

There's a shop in Riccarton that imports sweets from England at a highly inflated price. Worth it for the odd treat though. They only had plain Yorkies but put in a request. They also have Cherry coke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yorkies used to be very nice until Nestle bought Rowntree and cheapened all their products. Yorkie now tastes like sweetened sludge and worst of all is my beloved Munchies dont even melt in the mouth they have cheapened them so much. This person puts it better than I ever could
    http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/nestle-munchies/

Also they encourage third world mothers to use their formula and babies die as a result.

Nestle are a scourge, a virus and a plague and I dont like them much either. Here is their MO
    Buy a food company
    Reduce the cost of making their product by replacing good ingredients like chocolate with vegetable oil and chocolate flavouring.
    Profit

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    WindSock wrote: »
    There's a shop in Riccarton that imports sweets from England at a highly inflated price. Worth it for the odd treat though. They only had plain Yorkies but put in a request. They also have Cherry coke :pac:

yep, highly inflated, bastards dont even have lyons teabags, another one on columbo street too, coupla doors down from a very expensive whiskey ponce shop.

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    wait. i thought yellow ones were differnt to the gold ones.

there's no more gold ones?!
    please tell me this isnt true?!
    what the hell will my parents bring over for xmas for me?!

purple yorkies, double deckers, skips...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No!!!!

The yellow ones were honeycomb weren't they ?

Okay that pack is gold, but it used to be yellow before they went to foil packaging.

There was also a very nice limited edition peanut one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No!!!!

Nuts have no place in chocolate! It's wrong and twisted. Yet whenever I get a gift of chocolate it's whole nut this, and noisette that. Ulterior motives I feel...:cool:

I like the raisin and biscuit yorkies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I hate the biscuit and raisin yorkies-i hate raisins full stop. Upon finding such a raisin or raisin related item in my chocolate i would be very disappointed and let down and probably head to PI to discuss my great sadness. I also despise turkish delights. Chocolate of the moment is kinder bueno/plain yorkies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

LolaDub wrote: »
    I hate the biscuit and raisin yorkies-i hate raisins full stop. Upon finding such a raisin or raisin related item in my chocolate i would be very disappointed and let down and probably head to PI to discuss my great sadness. I also despise turkish delights. Chocolate of the moment is kinder bueno/plain yorkies

Raisins are also on my list of 'Devil's food'. Along with ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who the hell is Yorkie?
    I remember the ads with the manly truck driver when I was a little kid:

Although you always wondered why he wasn't man enough to eat the bar in one go.

Yellow Yorkies ftw, BTW.

I discovered the best chocolate bar idea ever in a polish sklep!
    Watermelon milka.
    Chocolate with a sugary watermelon falvour milk creme center with those candy lumps that explode in your mouth! That you loved when you were little.

It was totally worth blowing the new years resolution with 2 months to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I thought it was a stroke of marketing genius merely because it was so ridiculous. The coverage it got on irish radios was priceless! It's like trying to give a kid medecine if they refuse take it away from them and then they want it.

It's on par with the Ben and Jerry's Fair trade vanilla ice cream campaign. Guarantee their sales doubles because of the tools who bought into it alone :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's on par with the Ben and Jerry's Fair trade vanilla ice cream campaign. Guarantee their sales doubles because of the tools who bought into it alone :)

In fairness, Ben & Jerry's vanilla is far superior to any others available, and I'm not a huge vanilla ice cream fan. The Fair Trade thing has nothing to do with it, it just tastes better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

No way-Häagen-Dazs ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Yes I'm sure marketing had nothing to do with it at all....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pralines and cream FTW.

Advertisement