Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you rate your local butcher/fish monger

Options
  • 12-11-2008 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

What's your local and do you recommend them?
    Or do you use a supermarket instead of a shop shop as maybe it's cheaper or easier to use?

Mine in Holmes Butchers, Ballyfermot SC.
    Tbh I only buy fish and they've a very small selection. Realy friendly staff and they can tell you anything you want to know about where they source their goods.
    Lot of special offers posted but I couldn't say if they're good as I haven't compared. Place is always busy though!
    On the lookout for a fish monger in the general area

So where do you go? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I am on the other side of the city to you. I use Curtis butchers in East Wall or Whelans butchers on Parnell St. (does great South African meats).

I am in Howth every Sunday, so I get my fish out there. Massive selection, even better on Saturdays.

Veg in the farmers Market in St. Annes Park in Raheny. Expensive compared to a Veg man, but similar to supermarket prices, much better quality.

I try and use smaller independent shops for Wine.

When I have to use a supermarket I will use an Irish one.

The tag line "every little helps" grinds against me, I hate the patronising tone of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mmm, tbh I don't use a regular butchers. But I always try to support local butchers and only use Tescos for the Finest Range steaks, which I think are superior to anywhere else.

For fish I use Howth on the weekends and for Veg I use a farm shop on the Hole-in-the-Wall Road, Dublin 13.

For wines and beers its got to be 'Jus de Vine' in Portmarnock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Interesting.
    I didn't know there was a fish market in Howth at the weekends, must pay a visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

micmclo wrote: »
    Interesting.
    I didn't know there was a fish market in Howth at the weekends, must pay a visit

And what part of Mullingar are you from?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No idea what you're on about Mairt.

Not from Dublin anyway and didn't know about this until now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am a veggie but i am buying meat, i like the butcher in the charlestown SC or the one on cardiffbridge road in finglas, he is really helpful, cos i havent got a clue about meat and they have nice veggie burgers :)

unfortunately, i get my veg from the supermarket, i dont have a decent fruit and veg shop near me, i would much prefer to buy direct from the farmer or from a farm shop - anyone got any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Gormley's on cardiffsbridge road,very friendly staff,very cheap meat and they'll even let you have credit if its coming up to payday.
    Tesco can go and get ****ed with thier rancid,flavourless crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

i am a veggie but i am buying meat, i like the butcher in the charlestown SC or the one on cardiffbridge road in finglas, he is really helpful, cos i havent got a clue about meat and they have nice veggie burgers :)

unfortunately, i get my veg from the supermarket, i dont have a decent fruit and veg shop near me, i would much prefer to buy direct from the farmer or from a farm shop - anyone got any ideas?

Isn't there a Kinsealy/Sutton farm fresh veg place in Finglas village near Mr fox the Vets and the hardware shop around the corner from the Droghead lodge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mairt wrote: »
    for Veg I use a farm shop on the Hole-in-the-Wall Road, Dublin 13.
    lightening wrote: »
    Veg in the farmers Market in St. Annes Park in Raheny. Expensive compared to a Veg man, but similar to supermarket prices, much better quality

See above.

Mairt, where is that shop?

Where and when in St Anne's does that veg market be?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Des wrote: »

Where and when in St Anne's does that veg market be?
    Saturday only. Old horse stables off the St.Lawerence road entrance. Imo there's not a lot there and as usual for these farmers markets the produce is very hit and miss in quality and bang on the bullseye for expensive. Pinstriped suits disguised with crusty wooly jumpers and green wellys.

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Wrights and superquinn have excellent shops at the pier.

If in town it's gotta be Kish for Fish. Off smithfield. Or Muldoons on Prussia St. Not a big selection but fresh and from a shop worth supporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's also a Wrights in Fairview.

Cheers humberklog, will give that St Anne's business a miss I suppose.

Des wrote: »
    There's also a Wrights in Fairview.

Cheers humberklog, will give that St Anne's business a miss I suppose.
    Well give it a look if over that way. it has coffee shop and artists resideneces there now and its a beautiful park. A lot of work done on the gated gardens. Brilliant playground.

humberklog wrote: »
    as usual for these farmers markets the produce is very hit and miss in quality and bang on the bullseye for expensive. Pinstriped suits disguised with crusty wooly jumpers and green wellys.

I manage to pick grand quality stuff. Did you get in early Humberclog? The stuff walks out of there. The farm is owned by a German guy, far from pinstripes there, believe me! The produce is the same price as a Supermarket, I checked it out. Your always going to get funny looking veg and fruit if its organic, don't let that throw you off, it may not be as shiny and perfect looking as the supermarket stuff, but its a lot nicer, you just need clean the muck off too...

Micmclo, there are lot of fishmongers in Howth along the pier, Saturday is the best day to go, more are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

For fish Kish on Bow Street near Smithfield is excellent. The fish is incredibly fresh, the prices are consistently lower than anywhere else I've bought fish and the staff are lovely. They'll talk you through how to cook the fish and there's a printer/pc there for you to browse with recipes that you can print and take away for free.

Great website too with the same recipes that you can print in the shop

http://www.kishfish.ie/

No connection, just a very very satisfied customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

FX Buckleys on Moore St or Talbot St would be where the oul wan goes, does quality ham, lovely cuts of meat in general. Saying the can't go wrong with Superquinn for meats aswell.

lightening wrote: »
    The farm is owned by a German guy, far from pinstripes there, believe me! The produce is the same price as a Supermarket, I checked it out. Your always going to get funny looking veg and fruit if its organic, don't let that throw you off, it may not be as shiny and perfect looking as the supermarket stuff, but its a lot nicer, you just need clean the muck off too...
    In fairness I haven't been at the market in nearly a year so it may well have picked its socks up. Muck and mis-shapen produce I like. It's just I find the quality a bit dodgy often. I'd use Dun L., Temp bar and Farmleigh more often for geography reasons. Dun L. is Pinstripes and Jumpers and maybe that's made me more than suspicious of all the farmers markets.

With all that said I still prefer to support the markets.

P.S on FX Buckley on Moore st. Great place for last few years. You can pick up the oddities easily, chickens hearts and pigs ears etc. Delishimo!

humberklog wrote: »
    In fairness I haven't been at the market in nearly a year so it may well have picked its socks up. Muck and mis-shapen produce I like.

I sort of knew you would be ok with the much and weird shapes.

You have to be there at ten to get the good stuff. Unfortunately, the other stall owners are ALWAYS late setting up, but the German farmer is always on time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

FXBs on Moore Street, good meat, really nice and friendly butchers. I think it's good value too, always special offers on.

There's sometimes good offers on the stalls on Moore Street too. 3 peppers for a euro, when that's the price of one in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

churchview wrote: »
    For fish Kish on Bow Street near Smithfield is excellent. The fish is incredibly fresh, the prices are consistently lower than anywhere else I've bought fish and the staff are lovely. They'll talk you through how to cook the fish and there's a printer/pc there for you to browse with recipes that you can print and take away for free.

Great website too with the same recipes that you can print in the shop

http://www.kishfish.ie/

No connection, just a very very satisfied customer!

I'd agree 100% with this. Kish in Smithfield is great. Bow Street is between the Smithfield Square and Church Street. A couple of times I've bought fish there earlier in the day they agreed to keep it for me in the cold room until I picked it up on my way home from work just before they close. They have detailed labels on the fish on display. One caveat is that most times I've visited the shop their Sea Bass was farmed; personally I'd prefer it if it were wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

Ennis Butchers in Rialto Village is excellent. They have a wide selection of organic meats. They also provide organic vegetables and fruit. They have great non-organic meats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fletch123 wrote: »
    There's sometimes good offers on the stalls on Moore Street too. 3 peppers for a euro, when that's the price of one in Superquinn.
    It would be unfair to compare Moore Street with a supermarket. What's on offer on Moore Street is usually 'seconds' which have been rejected by the large buyers or what is fast approaching the use by date. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it at the right price but one has to compare like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Isn't there a Kinsealy/Sutton farm fresh veg place in Finglas village near Mr fox the Vets and the hardware shop around the corner from the Droghead lodge ?

Yep there is!

If you live in Finglas West though, I think there's a man that goes around in a van that sells fruit and veg... not sure what part of Finglas West he visits though! I know his name is Willie and it's a silver van!

I go to the butcher up near the Fingal in Finglas West. He does lovely sausages, rashers and pudding... yum yum yum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

It would be unfair to compare Moore Street with a supermarket. What's on offer on Moore Street is usually 'seconds' which have been rejected by the large buyers or what is fast approaching the use by date. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it at the right price but one has to compare like with like.

True, but if you have time to browse Moore Street you can spot the goods that aren't the usual 'almost gone off' fruit and veg. Using the peppers as an example, the usually sell slightly smaller ones that are the probable supermarket rejects (which won't be happening much more because of the new EU fruit and veg rules). Basically, if you have time for it in the city centre, shop around.

Advertisement