Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox 360 tv choice

• 12-11-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

heading to blanchhardstown to buy a new hd tv for the kitchen:D about 26" now where would be the best place to get a good high quaility hd tv
    at a good price and what one to choose? lcd or plazma screen
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I got mine from Komplett. They now have a collection centre near Blanchardstown AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

Defo Power City. Theyr'e a lot cheaper than most shops such as Curry's, Argos, Harvey Normans etc and have a pretty good selection too. Komplett are also pretty good too. TVs in the 26 inch to 32 inch range all tend to be priced similarily so you should opt for something a little bigger. For example, an LG 26 inch costs €450, while an LG 32 inch costs €499! Brands to go for would be Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba etc. I'd also say go for LCD. Cheaper and better looking in my opinion, and iv'e played on both.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11

I'd recommend LG. I have a 32" for the past year or so ordered from Komplett and never had a problem with it.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=367440

300 Euro for 22" if your interested (only picked it because it had user reviews really). I don't see the point of anything much bigger in a kitchen if you can get bigger for a similar price because it would just look out of place in your kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Im thinking about a sony since there ment to be the best?

as for size needs to be around 26" limited space. so i will try someting other

than brand name cool, will try power city when im out that way tonight,

cheers thanks for that. Is the lcd better than plaza screen for the xbox will be on it quiet a bit no issue on burn marks on screen etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I'd opt for a samsung. Xbox use Samsung for their demo machines in stores.
    Something like THIS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you won't get plasma in that size. plasmas only really kick in aroudn the 37" mark. you'll be limited to LCD

fox007 wrote: »

who said? Sony? pioneer and panasonic wipe the floor with Sony, i'd rate toshiba above them too for quality. don't waste your money on the little Sony badge on the front. if you get a good deal on a sony fine, definitely not woth paying more for

fox007 wrote: »

as for size needs to be around 26" limited space. so i will try someting other

than brand name cool, will try power city when im out that way tonight,

cheers thanks for that. Is the lcd better than plaza screen for the xbox will be on it quiet a bit no issue on burn marks on screen etc?

Most of them use the same screens and just have their own firmware on them and case and inputs/outputs etc... so I wouldn't pay for a better known brand TBH.

I have an LG and a friend bought the same model after seeing mine and both have been going a year with absolutely no issues.

One thing when buying an LCD is to enquire about their dead pixel replacement policy as different stores and manufacturers have different policies. If they follow the correct standards, it is size dependant.

ISO Standard is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

Some manufacturers offer a zero defect policy which is exactly what you want. You'll have to google for each manufacturers, I tried to find a page with them all listed just there but couldn't find one.

Plasma's have burn in so don't get them for consoles where you might pause for long periods or have the same colour displayed constantly on screen. Plasma's will probably work fine for most people and have probably come a long way but you'd have to research that as I've not read anything about them since I bought my tv.

also, check for a gaming mode. All the tv's have picture processing, this can cause a delay as each frame gets delayed. this cause lag from you moving your controller to you seeing it on screen, big no-no for gaming. the LG tv's were notorious for it. i'm sure newer Lg models probably have it fixed.

Samsung have an excellent gaming mode, they seem to have made a concious decision to ater for the gamers. (Just to avoid fan boy criticism, i own neither LG or samsung)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Why don't you wait til January to buy one? Sales and all that

I have owned a Panasonic and a Samsung. Panasonic is a much superior television in terms of standard def and with HD stuff the blacks on the Panasonic are much better but in terms of picture sharpness there isn't much in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Although the Sony's may not be worth the extra right now, I've seen them drop in price already in places like Currys. So should be even cheaper in the new year since the newer 4500 series has launched. However in my opinon the current Bravias (4000 series) have some advantages which I have not seen before in a Sony panel. For example, the Sony 40W4000 and 32W4000 Bravias which came out a few months ago have the lowest input lag according to alot of reviews, as close to CRT as you'll get, and therefore they don't even need a gaming mode. Even without 100hz processing (which adds to input lag btw) they are still ace for gaming. I have the 32" version and personally I rate them on par if not better than the latest Panasonics, Samsungs and Sharps which I have also owned and/or tried. I went out of my way to get the right LCDTV and think the Sony is it for me. Also, on the plus side they have very good speakers built in with an amp which supports 2 channel Linear PCM over HDMI (great for PS3 games) and some cool pseudo 3d effects (Virtual Dolby), a decent optical out, and they also sport a shiny mirror finish which actually doesn't attract fine scratch's/swirl marks when wiped like the Sammy's and LG's do. Good for people like me who are obsessive about such matters. Whether it's worth the extra cost is debatable. For me it was, as I use it exclusively for near view gaming/movies.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-KDL-32W4000/
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W4000/Picture-Quality/
    http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Sony_KDL-32W4000.htm

Cheers fopr asll that help:D

I went for the samsung 32"(i know i said 26") think its a gret tv for very little money €500 in power city even got the wall bracket for free:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

cant beat samsung

get back too work:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Sorry if this has been asked before but, I'm hoping to buy a 42" TV in the January sales.
    I don't have Sky HD just normal Sky so that is not an issue. I mainly want something which will show sharp, vivid, delay free xbox 360 gaming (and decent TV).
    I'm not really up on HDTV jargon like 720i or 1080p or dynamic contrast ratios. But I imagine the higher the numbers, the better :rolleyes:.

I've been looking at this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354818&view=detailed#ProductTabs which has 720i and 30000:1 contrast ratio. Would this suit my requirements?

Finally cost is a limiting factor. I have about €900-1000 to spend.
    Any advice gratefully appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,975 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

brim4brim wrote: »
    Most of them use the same screens and just have their own firmware on them and case and inputs/outputs etc... so I wouldn't pay for a better known brand TBH.

I have an LG and a friend bought the same model after seeing mine and both have been going a year with absolutely no issues.

One thing when buying an LCD is to enquire about their dead pixel replacement policy as different stores and manufacturers have different policies. If they follow the correct standards, it is size dependant.

ISO Standard is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

Some manufacturers offer a zero defect policy which is exactly what you want. You'll have to google for each manufacturers, I tried to find a page with them all listed just there but couldn't find one.

Plasma's have burn in so don't get them for consoles where you might pause for long periods or have the same colour displayed constantly on screen. Plasma's will probably work fine for most people and have probably come a long way but you'd have to research that as I've not read anything about them since I bought my tv.

I'd be interested to find a manufacture who have a zero dead/stuck pixel policy, if you know of any brand or store that offers this please let me know!
    I use a Panasonic 42" Plasma for my 360, PS3 & HTPC, no issues with screen burn as long as you mind your brightness & contrast levels for the first 600 hours, looks fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I'd go for this panasonic plasma 42in,lots of good reviews of this award winning telly on the net ,buy from richersounds too as there service is second to none,tell them your on boards and delivery is 20quid.they have their own forum in the biz section.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=28&productid=712

Advertisement