Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That smell on the south quays: Guinness brewery?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice or is it just me?
    Or maybe ye are all in Dublin so long you take no notice.

Like malt or something. That's probably not the correct item but I assume it's something similar and coming from the Guinness site.
    Anyone know what it is, I like it anyway. :) Usually notice it going by on the moped

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ah bless

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Its the roasting of hops, it happens at certain times of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Welcome to 1759

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Aye - thats it. I get a whiff the occassional mornig coming in on the bike. It's not a bad smell at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I was on the way to work and couldn't hold it, sorry about that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

you can nearly chew the air some days its that strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

love that smell

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i used to live in a guiness cottage in pimlico, it was really strong especially during the summer months. i wouldnt be a huge fan of the smell but it does bring back some happy memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its great it envelops all of Dublin. It can travel for several miles around the county. Smell it in Templeogue fairly often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Its great it envelops all of Dublin. It can travel for several miles around the county. Smell it in Templeogue fairly often

Sometimes in Coolock too actually.

It's great when you get the guinness smell in the morning, then Cadbury's in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Des wrote: »

It's great when you get the guinness smell in the morning, then Cadbury's in the afternoon.

yeah i love the smell from cadburys too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Am beside the Guiness Brewery most days. Most of the time it's not too bad. Infact I quite like it. Much better than the slaughter house opposite my school when I was growing up.

Down Island Street, it's wicked bad though, and around Mother's Tank Station... Jesus, when I used have to walk past there to get to Thomas St. - I nearly retched some mornings. Is the other side to a night on the black stuff. No no, the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Yeah, its not a bad smell but sometimes it seems way stronger than other? I get a similar kind of smell in Smithfield too- from the Jameson distillery, it must be the malt or something that they have in common....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

sparkzter wrote: »
    Yeah, its not a bad smell but sometimes it seems way stronger than other? I get a similar kind of smell in Smithfield too- from the Jameson distillery, it must be the malt or something that they have in common....

It's a fine smell indeed :)

The Old Jameson Distellery in Smithfield closed in the 1970's and is now a museum/tourist attraction. They don't produce whiskey there at all now AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Great smell, but not when you arrive into town, ropey as **** and dying to go back to bed. Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I live up near there and love the smell. It reminds me of when I was 16 and lived near a Weetabix factory in the States, very similar smell.

And I lived near a bacon factory when I was a kid. The stink from that was horrible so it's much better getting hops on the wind when I'm walking to town. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'd have presumed it was the roasting of barley, not hops!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Des

The Tayto factory stunk though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The Tayto factory used to smell like chips! I used to love that smell on my way into school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

It was more like burnt crisps.:D

The Manhattan popcorn factory in finglas smells nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

sparkzter wrote: »

It is from the malt.

The malted grain is broken up, and mixed with hot water in the 'mash tun'.
    It smells a bit like breakfast porridge.

And, yes, Whiskey would use a similar process, but they do not produce whiskey in Smithfield anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

enda1 wrote: »
    I'd have presumed it was the roasting of barley, not hops!?

You are right.
    Hops have a very distinctive, sharp smell (very difficult to describe).

You will not get the smell of hops from the brewing process, as it is overpowered by the barley smell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

P.C. wrote: »

And, yes, Whiskey would use a similar process, but they do not produce whiskey in Smithfield anymore.

Indeed it does and indeed they don't. However there is a tour of the old distillery and during the tour they take you to an area where the malt smell is reproduced for effect. The reproduced smell is gank but it well matches the tour which is a total abortion. Piss poor, god awful.

Love the whiff of Guinness's. It used to be a lot stronger a few years back but they put some sort of filter on the outlet to reduce the fumes. They could get very, very strong and mix that with how the Liffey used to smell...hmmm. Well I liked it but it was a smell one would have to acquire a taste for. Dublin could have been the first Scratch'n Sniff city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

It's the same smell described as the mash for the pigs in Animal Farm...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

humberklog wrote: »
    It used to be a lot stronger a few years back
    That's what I was thinking myself. I rarely smell it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

humberklog wrote: »
    Love the whiff of Guinness's. It used to be a lot stronger a few years back but they put some sort of filter on the outlet to reduce the fumes.

It will be getting a lot less frequent in the coming years. Guinness are shifting most of their brewing out of st. James Gate to a new brewery in Leixlip. They're keeping James Gate open purely for token value from what I can see. They'll claim your guinness is brewed there, but chances are it won't be. Its a crime against the city that this is happening. The smell brings real character to the place. Hopefully they won't go down the fake smell route either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well Guinness have said that every pint of Guinness drank in Ireland will have been brewed in St. James Gate. I think its a lot more than tokenism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I've been meaning to ask this before, what times of the day? I think it happens more at night now than day, does anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Dunno, haven't spotted a pattern to it yet (2 years living there and counting) but don't associate it with the evening / night particularly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I get it most days between 9 and 12.

Advertisement