Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Minutes silence today for Shane Geoghegan, Plaza

Options
  • 12-11-2008 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Shane Geoghegan murder: further updates
    November 11th, 2008 by Squid

Up to fifty Garday, as well as the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation are being assigned to the investigation into the murder last Sunday of Shane Geoghegan. The Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy is quoted on RTE as stating that every resource, including witness protection, will be made availible in the pursuit of Mr Geoghegan’s killers. Link.

Fine Gael are calling for an emergency debate following the murder, and would like the option of internment for criminal gang members looked at..

Yesterday, the Evening Herald newspaper claimed that the man who carried out the killing was from a Dublin criminal gang. Today’s paper now claims that this man has returned to the capital. RTE reports that Gardai believe three individuals from the same Limerick based gang are involved in the murder.

Meanwhile, Mr. Geoghegan is being waked at his family home in advance of tomorrow’s funeral at St. Joseph’s Church on O’Connell Street.

There were large queues today at City Hall to sign a book of condolences, while an online book hosted by the Limerick Leader has received over 4,000 messages of sympathy.

A minute’s silence is also to be held prior to the Munster match with the All-Blacks next week.

UPDATE: As mentioned by Hoof in the comments, a minute’s silence will be held at the Ireland v New Zealand match this weekend in Croke Park for Shane Geoghegan.

Also, A two minute silent demonstration will be held in the plaza at the University of Limerick at 1400 hrs today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Anyone here attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Yes, I was there, I also saw IDPlease and Bluedolphin in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I did indeedy.

I saw a lot of C&S heads there considering committees got the email that all students didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah that explains it, I thought it'd be almost all staff, explains the (smallish) number of students there.

Reasonable crowd, 400ish or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sceptre wrote: »
    Ah that explains it, I thought it'd be almost all staff, explains the (smallish) number of students there.

Reasonable crowd, 400ish or so.

It was at least 3 times that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement