Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford People Kaput!

• 12-11-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Just heard that the Waterford People has closed with immediate effect. The remaining staff were called into the office yesterday evening and told the paper was closing straight away!

This follows staff cuts about a month ago!

Pity about the paper though it has to be said the quality was never going to threaten the established two!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

ANd that's probably why it shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wow.

I guess I've not been around to see what the Waterford People is actually like, but it sure is hard to get a new paper into peoples routines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I suppose it did what it said on the tin!!! It was all about Waterford People - there was a huge a mount of photos in it but it lacked substance.

The sport was poor enough too!

The current economic climate probably didn't help either as I hear advertising is down eveywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Paper cuts jobs

Paper Folds

*Snigger*

Potential headlines for the News & Star & Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hadn't recived a copy through the leterbox for weeks.

Pity can't say I'd noticed a falling away in ad space (when reading my sisters copy).

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

mike65 wrote: »
    I hadn't recived a copy through the leterbox for weeks.

Pity can't say I'd noticed a falling away in ad space (when reading my sisters copy).

Mike

Waterford People was published by Independent Newspaper PLC and is not related to the free "Waterford Today" which is a locally owned company which is what you are referring to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oooooooops! My bad misread thread title. As you can tell I don't buy local papers (or indeed any papers these days), how long had WP been going?

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Oooooooops! My bad misread thread title. As you can tell I don't buy local papers (or indeed any papers these days), how long had WP been going?

Mike

IIRC only about 6 - 8 months or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is the Dungarvan edition gone also?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Heard about this a good while ago, it was kept quiet bar a small report in the News & Star. Shame to see it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't like to see any Local business go under but I thought that paper was useless TBH. It really needed to try something Different to segregate itself from the "Big Two" (for want of better wording).

Its truly a pity for all involved down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yeah, too true, its a pity but then again it was no different to the others. Also i have to agree on the quality in it wasnt that great. Now maybe if they did a page 3 showcasing the local talent it might sell more! :D

im only throwing it out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

c - 13 wrote: »
    Paper cuts jobs

Paper Folds

*Snigger*

Potential headlines for the News & Star & Munster

Not so funny when you're out of a job is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

kensutz wrote: »

AFAIK he didnt work there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I did

any consolation , i lost mine 2 weeks ago also , so your not paddling the boat alone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

bad luck guys...keep the hearts up

im off to australia in a few months so something to work towards, or not work towards i should have really put in there:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Sorry man. I didnt think of it that way. I've been in the same boat before and it sucks. Best of luck getting a new position. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Shame people loosing jobs and stuff but seriously if the paper was any good it wouldn't be gone in the first place.Either it was because of a poor sales team or people weren't attracted to advertise with them because it was an inferior product, either way it kind of was the newspapers own fault.It was a ridiculous undertaking in the first place, going into competition with 2 well established newspapers in a small town at a time when print media is facing obsoletion.
    Sorry once again to those that lost your jobs I hope something comes up for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't blame the staff at all. I had the pleasure of dealing with Geraldine in the sales team and she was brilliant. The photographers etc were great too...the mistake was thinking that another waterford paper would work here.

I don't blame the staff at all. I had the pleasure of dealing with Geraldine in the sales team and she was brilliant. The photographers etc were great too...the mistake was thinking that another waterford paper would work here.

I know a lot of people wouldn't buy it (myself included) becasue it was owned by Independent Newspapers (Who have not been too kind to Waterford over the years)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yup, same experience with the staff myself. Not sure if its a competition thing considering the News & Star is the only dedicated Waterford paper. A damn good paper also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I did

Good snappers are fare and few between, you won't be out of work for long.

If theres anything I can do to help in anyway, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

I had the pleasure of dealing with Geraldine in the sales team and she was brilliant.

Geraldine is a gem. Previously Purcell Properties. There loss.

Advertisement