Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox live 1st time user

• 12-11-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

hi, im buying a 360 on friday and just had a quick question..

my broadband connection with ntl it 3meg down and about 275 kbs up..

is that ok for live?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Thats reasonable enough.I know people who where on the 1MB line and worked fine.Might have some lag for hosting games online though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

cojomo2 wrote: »
    hi, im buying a 360 on friday and just had a quick question..

my broadband connection with ntl it 3meg down and about 275 kbs up..

is that ok for live?

thanks

Your ping that will determine how good your gaming experience is. Go here (http://www.speedtest.net/) and test your connection. You want your ping to be as low as possible. Under 50 is good, much over 100 and you will have laggy matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's fine. I'm on crappy 1Mb and it still works, I don't notice the lag. I think the minimum is 512k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

thanks for the feedback..correct me if im wrong, some people here say they have the crappy 1 meg package and it works fine..but for xbox 360 live i would have thought that it would be the upoad speed that would be the important one, not so much the download ??

also for any1 on ntl 1meg shouldnt u be able to get upgraded to 3 meg free?or maybe i am wrong , just thought they upgraded their services and that 3 was the min. now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

but for xbox 360 live i would have thought that it would be the upoad speed that would be the important one, not so much the download ??

It's the ping (response time) that is the most important thing for playing live. I mean I use to play Phantasy Star Online on my DC with a 33kbps modem and notice very little lag.

With regards to XBox Live I started with BTs 1/2 meg package years ago. Had no issues playing. Also used NTL 1,3, 6meg packages and, again, no issues. You won't have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

thanks for the feedback..correct me if im wrong, some people here say they have the crappy 1 meg package and it works fine..but for xbox 360 live i would have thought that it would be the upoad speed that would be the important one, not so much the download ??

Think of upload/dload speed like the top speed in a car, and the ping like the acceleration; the top speed is going to count for much if the race is over before it can be reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

hello i was wondering would a 1mb down 128kb up with a ping of 80 be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya i have 8mg with bt 856kbs down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Im supossed to be on a 8mb/s dl line with digiweb but when i did that test on the link above it says my connection speed is 316kbps and upload of 618kbps .

Thats not right is it ? shouldnt it be up nearer 800 ? or am i wrong

ping is 56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap thats b ad

• Advertisement
Advertisement